Comments

1. Brad says

“he himself cannot imagine ever changing his mind on marriage equality, even if one of his own children were gay.”

That right there is why I don’t think Sen. Portman’s sudden lackluster support of LGBT rights is all that laudable. These people lack the compassion for anyone else but their own greedy selves. If you look up the definition for the word bigot, it should have John Boehner’s name listed as an example right along with Marco Rubio. Keep it up Mr. Boehner, your party will continue to slide into oblivion and deservedly so.

2. nick says

Shocking- John of Orange -not!
    His and Sen. Portman’s good friend Phil Burress-the head of Citizens for Community Values in the wholesome city of Cincinnati has been reassured by phone call yesterday that Portman will still be in the bigot’s corner and will not help to overturn Ahia’s marriage ban.

3. a religious institution says

What makes people think that the government should have the right to determine whether or not gay marriage should be allowed? The term “marriage” was originally coined describing the joining of a man and a women and I believe that people should respect that. But leave it up to the goverment to turn a religious institution into a political platform. Government created this situation by giving tax breaks and other benifits that are only available through marriage. My solution, allow gay couples to recieve all the benifits of a traditional marriage, but it must be called a “civil union” or whatever else pleases thr gay community.

4. Kevin Foster says

A religious instution: I would never enter into a civil-union, just as I would never drink from a fountain labled “colored only”.

Once you think God is on your side, you can do no wrong. The Nazi’s motto was “Gott mit uns” — God is with us. Any atrocity is possible with the belief that you are doing God’s work for him.

5. Steve says

@a religious institution
    You are full of sh1t

Marriage was a private agreement long, long before religion ever got into it. The Romans already had entirely secular marriage contracts. The Catholic Church didn’t usurp marriage until the middle ages. Before that they didn’t have an official marriage liturgy. The Protestant church considered it a worldly thing and wanted the church to stay out of it. Which is precisely the reason for the increasing involvement of the government in registering marriage since the 17th century. Even the ultra-theocratic Puritans saw it that way. And they involved religion in just about every aspect of people’s personal lives.

6. says

@areligiousinstitution, all the benefits and protections of civil marriage are via the government, not the church. The church’s only role is to sanction those marriages they wish to sanction–some churches sanction marriages of same-sex couples, some don’t. Whatever. Most marriages in 2013 have little connection to religion. There is no rational reason to have different labels for the same thing except for prejudice. Besides, it’s too late for both you and Boehner–gay couples already are married whether you and the orange dinosaur like it or not.

7. kit says

This pathetic excuse for a human being reminds me to be soooo thankful for all of the people who have loved me for who I am — the friends and the family who have seen me for who I am and who have embraced me. I am so thankful that my world is not made up of scum like John Boner who cannot feel love and who look at those around then with judgement and hatred rather than with love. What a pathetic little snivelling piece of trash he is. I think I will call up some friends now and go have a lovely glass of wine and revel in the fact that none of us are republicans.

8. Eldergothfather says

Right now, the Boehner children should be looking for a rock to crawl under, preferably not the one their father crawled out from underneath.

9. Martin says

@ a religious institution

Let’s take your argument to its logical conclusion then. Let’s say marriage is purely a religious institution. Isn’t it about time the government and everyone else stepped back and started respecting and stopped interfering with the religious freedom of all the denominations that want to perform same sex marriages?

Oh, you didn’t mean *that* kind of religious freedom?

10. billmiller says

My other half for 22 years now, was kicked out at 16. One boy I grew up with hanged himself in 1967. It aint fun being hated by ones family/parents!

11. Gary says

My late mother used to say you can tell all you need to know about a person form their face. I never forgot that. Boner’s face tells me all I need to know. Sad specimen of a man. Weak, rigid, small-minded, dour, non-empathetic, self-serving, self centered. He is a reason we need term limits in Congress.

12. Maguitac says

I would respectfully ask all to stop calling Boehner “Boner”. For in all honesty, is there anything that causes a de-boner faster than Boehner’s face?

It would more appropriate to call him Boehronzer.

13. DC Arnold says

Just finished watching The Hindenburg: The last flight and cheered when the Gay entertainer made it out alive, now I see no-brainer yet again dispensing Repug party line, is there no way to stop creepy people from invading this blog? I am aware that know thy enemy will keep us in good stead when the real battle starts but please spare us from seeing our brunch again after it has been ingested.

14. Onnyjay says

Boner lacks pretty much everything, including a conscience, and should retire to a position of weatherman on some local conservative channel. They only have to be right once in a while, and so far Boner has missed the mark close to 100%. What a d*ckhead. Is this the best Repugs can do?? RIP.

15. EJC says

Boehner lack the intelligence and creative thinking to be aware of the fact that the world has change. He is perfect for the Republican Party, too white, too old, and too conservative and without the simple understanding of the world today. These guys are not long for this world, fortunately! Feel sorry for him he is part of a dying breed, the bright new world will be laughing at these gays well before 2016. AND from the look of him possibly a little too much merlot early in the day!

16. EJC says

Boehner lack the intelligence and creative thinking to be aware of the fact that the world has change. He is perfect for the Republican Party, too white, too old, and too conservative and without the simple understanding of the world today. These guys are not long for this world, fortunately! Feel sorry for him he is one of dying bread, the bight new world will be laughing at these guys well before 2016. AND from the look of him possibly a little too much Merlot early in the day!