Gay Marriage | News | Oprah

Oprah Discusses The New Reality Of Gay Marriage: VIDEO

Screen Shot 2013-05-31 at 9.25.08 AM

On  Oprah Winfrey Network's daytime talk show Super Soul Sunday, Oprah took a moment to discuss the dramatic shift in the general public's support for gay marriage and the underlying reasons behind the change.

Oprah asked her panelists, Episcopal Rev. Ed Bacon, author and educator Elizabeth Lesser, and philosopher Mark Nepo whether the change is "a social revolution or cultural shift" and why marriage equality could enrich the institution for everyone - gay and straight.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Oprah has a talk show?

Posted by: Craig | May 31, 2013 1:30:46 PM

2. Oprah, I predict will be the new Barbara. Good Job O!

Posted by: mymy | May 31, 2013 1:32:27 PM

3. She has no way of knowing, but provocative way to start a new show.

Posted by: geb | May 31, 2013 2:08:28 PM

4. It's an argument that needs to be made more often. The Religious Right scare-tactic that gay marriage will somehow "destroy" the institution of marriage is completely without basis. If no-fault divorce, "trophy wives," and the numerous marriages even by the so-called "defenders" of marriage like Newt Gingrich and Donald Trump haven't killed marriage it's pretty much bullet-proof. (The current record for # of marriages by a living person is 23, BTW.)

It seems to me that the gay people who want access to marriage have far more faith in the institution than those who claim it's fragile and so easily broken. And more people seeing marriage as a desired ideal only makes it stronger, doesn't weaken it.

Of all people, former Prop 8 proponent (and trial witness) David Blankenthorn made the excellent point that the real danger to marriage is poverty and lack of education. From his LA Times op-ed:

"Upscale Americans are still enjoying marriage's economic and social advantages. For example, only about 6% of children born to college-educated women are born outside marriage. Among women with a high school degree but not a four-year-college degree, though, it's 44%, and among poorly educated women, it's 54%. Many other numbers tell the same story.

This class-based marriage divide is not only large, it's constantly getting larger. Scholarship shows that it's contributing significantly to the rise of economic inequality. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that it's threatening the American dream."

So it ain't the gays they need to worry about.

Posted by: Caliban | May 31, 2013 2:29:34 PM

5. This doesn't quite make up for her years of arguing that gay men hurt women in general by encouraging "down low" behavior.

Posted by: anon | May 31, 2013 2:41:27 PM

6. Oprah should have had this discussion with Rick Warren and T.D. Jakes when she had them on her show as "life coaches."

Posted by: Marcus | May 31, 2013 3:02:13 PM

7. "This doesn't quite make up for her years of arguing that gay men hurt women in general by encouraging "down low" behavior."

^^I agree with this^^.

I haven't forgotten Oprah's interview with black woman writer, Terry McMillan and her ex-husband, Jonathan Plummer after he came out as gay.

I can still see the contempt on Oprah's face when she called Jonathan "down-low" to his face. He looked like a whipped puppy when she said it, which I suppose was the point. Meanwhile Terry sat there with a look of satisfaction on her face. It was an ambush pure and simple.

Posted by: edwin/elg | May 31, 2013 3:05:37 PM

8. I see gay marriage as "gay mess" but to each his own.

Posted by: Josh | May 31, 2013 3:37:58 PM

9. Josh, I'm sorry. You may have a mess but I've got a marriage and it feels right.

Posted by: UFFDA | May 31, 2013 3:47:59 PM

10. So is she finally coming out of the closet and marrying Gale or is that pink elephant still in the room?

Posted by: Michael | May 31, 2013 3:59:36 PM

11. No, Oprah isn't fully without blame but she has also done some good for the gay community.

But what's with that "Super Soul Sunday" business? I see that and I'm thinking SOOOUUUUUUL TRAIN! All it would need is Oprah in a huge afro to complete the allusion.

Posted by: Caliban | May 31, 2013 4:30:03 PM

12. I'm always mixed about Oprah. She could have done a lot more to further the discussion; everyone on her staff was seemingly gay, but she really didn't, not until late in the game.

Finally, when Nate's lover was swept away in the tsunami, she had a fantastic scoop and really for the first time gave him and gay-relationships, an appropriate context for discussion, without sensationalizing them.

Like a lot of our allies, I was often left scratching my head at how much even 'they' didn't seem to get it.

Posted by: Pete N SFO | May 31, 2013 5:07:51 PM

13. If Nate and Suzie didn't have the balls to come out earlier don't blame Oprah.Andre and his partner and Reggie were out on the show years before Nate and Suze Orman.

Posted by: Kim | May 31, 2013 7:02:32 PM

14. I love Oprah but she could have done more to open the dialogue and help her MANY gay friends, personal friends. And make a huge impact on her audience. But I hope she now will with her programming. All human issues are human rights

Posted by: Morton | Jun 1, 2013 12:37:40 AM

15. Personally, I think Oprah is very much like the average person on her own journey...we just get to watch it. Unquestionably well intentioned, and through her success she has a platform to reveal that journey and is doing so. Being open to the journey is all I ask of anyone, really.

Posted by: JoelD | Jun 1, 2013 11:07:39 AM