Texas | Video Games

Houston Gaymers The Largest Gay Gaming Group In The Country

Houston Gaymers

The term "gamer" becomes more and more obsolete each day as video games have transitioned from a niche hobby to a mainstream pastime. However stereotypes still persist, and the one of the socially maladjusted young male basement-dweller is a pernicious one to shake off; telling other people you play video games can be a kind of coming out, after a fashion, particularly in the gay community.

Eric Hulsey of Houston, TX decided to start up a group on Facebook called "Houston Gaymers" in 2009 to provide a way for GLBT gamers to connect and invited people to meet at Coffee Groundz. Over 40 people showed up for the very first meeting. The group, which has established its own dedicated webpage, has over 1,000 members and is the largest gay gaming group in the U.S.

As the group has grown, they have begun giving back to the community. In addition to creating a safe community space for GLBT folk, they have become involved in charity work, including hosting an annual food drive for local food banks and a holiday toy drive for the Texas Children's Hospital.

The Flagship Houston Gaymers meetups are on the fourth Saturday of every month from 8 p.m. until 2 a.m. at Thirteen: The Heights Bar, and semi-monthly meetups, called Handhelds Connect, are held the first Monday of every month from 7:30 p.m. until 11 p.m. at Les Givral’s Kahve on Washington.

Comments

1. Largest? Really? You do realize the rough trade gaming community has almost 2k members?

Posted by: paul | Jan 14, 2014 2:37:35 PM

2. @Paul, I'm not familiar with Rough Trade, so correct me if I'm wrong. But I think the Houston Gaymers is the largest "local" LGBT gaming group, meaning they have meet ups in person and not just online.

Anyways, this really is a great group. They always have one of the best and most popular set ups at Pride.

Posted by: Evan C | Jan 14, 2014 4:17:25 PM

3. You might want to edit the headline. The way it reads denotes that it's the largest in the country and that's not the case. Rough Trade has well over 2k members. With annual meetups, local meetups and spots and GamerX

Posted by: Jay | Jan 14, 2014 4:21:37 PM

4. Please see

and the main site for games

Posted by: Jay | Jan 14, 2014 4:25:44 PM

5. There are teenage boys that don't play video games?

Posted by: anon | Jan 14, 2014 4:39:44 PM

6. This group is very juvenile. I was hoping to be introduced to some geeks who are nice. Instead, they are a bunch of Pokemon obsessed mean girls.

Posted by: Anon | Jan 14, 2014 8:25:49 PM

7. @ANON (since I guess you don't want to reveal yourself while attempting to discredit a pretty solid group)

I've been a member of the Houston Gaymers for about a year now. I met them shortly after moving to Houston, a city in which I knew nobody. This is the eighth city I've lived in between six different countries. I can honestly say I've NEVER met a more welcoming group of people in my life.

Three weeks after joining, I showed up alone at one of their monthly meet-ups. Within seconds I was approached by the host of that particular event and systematically introduced to nearly everyone in the room (about 40+ people at that particular event).

Since then, the people I met that night have slowly formed the foundation of my social life in Houston. I cherish that. For you to come here and equate them to the torturous characters in "Mean Girls" makes me think you never really tried to know them.

If you insist on bashing us and labeling us as "juvenile" then at least muster an effort to define what lead you to those conclusions. Specific examples...because I can honestly say that you cannot be further off the mark.

- C

Posted by: Charlie | Jan 14, 2014 10:19:13 PM

8. I love all the Rough Trade Gaming people coming out of the woodworks to try and downplay the article. Sorry guys, but the gay gaymer world isn't all about you. This is an article about a group with a local meet-up that has more than 10 people in attendance; try an entire bar full of welcoming people. My time in the Rough Trade Gaming community came to an end because of the amount of drama that community inherents. I'm very thankful to have an amazing local group here in Houston with hundreds of locals who are regularly part of meet-ups and events.

Posted by: Chris | Jan 14, 2014 11:17:39 PM

9. Claps for Charlie! Way to call out the whiner!

Posted by: DAlanJ | Jan 14, 2014 11:43:23 PM

10. I think this is great. I wish I had such an outlet for social interactions where I live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Kudos to all of you!!

Posted by: Keith | Jan 15, 2014 9:04:56 AM

11. I have been to several Gaymers meet ups off and on since 2010 and there are some nice people, I think those are newcomers, because the regulars (except Eric) are a-holes. I have gone to different events they host and one of the co-founders (or at least that is what I have been told) I believe his name is Lee has always been rude, he is a Lindsey Lohan wanabe A-HOLE Over all I have to agree with Anon, they are worse then Mean Girls. Also Charlie you wanted a specific example, Ok, here is one I was introduced to you by Eric, (who by the way is the only awesome one of the bunch, never has he been rude to anyone) and you and Lindsey (Lee) did not even shake my hand when I extended it out too you. You two GIRLS just looked and turned away. Is that specific enough for you. Oh and Chris you are confusing Rough Trade Gaming with Houston Gaymers because there is DRAMA in Houston Gaymers....

Posted by: Stephen | Jan 15, 2014 9:59:27 AM

12. @Stephen - I think you're either confusing me with somebody else or are full of poop. I've never once in my life looked at somebody's hand who was extending it as a greeting and "looked away". Sorry, but my southern upbringing and parents raised me far better than that.

So let's not go make things up...shall we?

Posted by: Charlie | Jan 15, 2014 11:08:28 AM

13. Gaymers is a great group. Everyone should come to the main meetups - say hi and meet a few people.

Posted by: Lee | Jan 15, 2014 7:26:31 PM

14. @Stephen - I'm sorry if I came across as rude. I would never turn down a hand shake from a new member or give them the cold shoulder. If I did I'm sure I was busy or distracted, and if so, I apologize. It's really important to Houston Gaymers as an entire group that we make people feel welcomed and it really upsets me that you had a poor experience. I hope you give us another chance.

Posted by: Lee | Jan 15, 2014 8:50:29 PM

15. Congrats to the Houston gaymers for the good press. Always good to see queer gamers organize and kick arse.

Cheers!
    Bigheadben
    Founder
    Rough Trade Gaming Community

Posted by: Benjamin Bon Temps | Jan 16, 2014 12:38:25 PM

16. Yes, the newcomers are nice because they are not experiencing the hive mind that this group is known for. They can think for themselves. They have personalities that are a breath of fresh air. I was a member off and on in this group.

I did make some good friends out of it for the time that I was there, but for the most part, I gave up. It's a shame too, because I would have loved a social experience to share with new guys all things geek.

Here are some things I've experienced:

1) The welcome wagon sucks. The people that created the club do not welcome new members. I know, because I've welcomed a lot of new people who looked really lost. They told me no one from the founders of the club came up to them. I showed them around to the few people I knew there. They grew a little more comfortable, but I had to show them the ropes and I am not even a regular. It shows that they do not really want to welcome members. They just want to have their clique of friends and call it a non-profit.

2) Have you seen the Facebook group? It's a joke. People attack each other on a regular basis. I had to block some people (Matthew Crumpler) that took their video games way too seriously. There is not any moderation which leads to a lot of abuse.

3) I can name 10 people that have had a similar experience. That's not an exaggeration. They did not feel welcomed at all. One of the people who originally went to gamers told me that he quit going. That it was become a breeding ground for boys. It was not the close, tight-knit group he liked.

4) The gay pride thing was a joke. Slutty pokemon every where. Put on some blue lycra shorts and some ears. Boom you are a slutty vaporeon. It's embarrassing especially since you are representing your group.

5) I became friends with the misfits of the group or the people who just stumbled around lonely. They seemed open to talking, to listening. They didn't care about status. They just wanted to have fun and geek out. I can't name specific examples because it is all body language. It's smiling when you see a new person join your group. The experience feels like going to a regular old gay bar, not a special interest group having to do with anything gaming.

Posted by: anon (part 2) | Jan 21, 2014 3:21:15 AM

17. Oh and Stephen is a cool guy from what I've talked to... I think... If you are the same Stephen I am thinking of.

Posted by: anon (part 2) | Jan 21, 2014 3:46:43 AM

18. They permabanned me for making a joke about the absurd number of Pokemon posts on the site. If you join, for the love of everything you may find holy, DO NOT joke about Pokemon.

Posted by: MC | Feb 4, 2014 6:31:29 PM