Gay Marriage

« | Main | Cats and Dogs »

02/25/2004

Gay Marriage Quotes

"In the early 1970s, I was living with my boyfriend and our out-of wedlock arrangement was regarded as rather scandalous by both of our families. When I went to a wedding ceremony of a lesbian friend of mine, I was struck by the obvious irony. Here were two women who could not be legally wed, but who were happily celebrating their commitment to each other. They seemed to have a better understanding of the importance of ceremony, ritual, public declaration than people like me who tossed off the institution of marriage as unnecessary." — Reagan daughter Patti Davis

"I mean, I am surrounded by so many beautiful relationships just in my life, I can't tell you - just so inspirational. And the fact that what the sex is (of someone you love) is an issue is just unbelievable to me. I mean, love is such a hard f**king thing — to find somebody who's willing to go through anything with you and stand by you that, on its own, is so hard to find. The fact that people want to complicate it even more just absolutely baffles me. If it happens, cherish it! What does it matter if you're sharing it with a man or with a woman? It's very strange to me." — Charlize Theron

"The process has gone extraordinarily well when you consider that literally thousands and thousands of people are converging on City Hall from around the world. It's remarkable to me that a lot of hearts and minds are changing over the course of the last few weeks since San Francisco started down this path of ending discrimination." — SF Mayor Gavin Newsom

"I am not gay, but I respect the rights of gays and lesbians. It's not their fault if God makes them born like that." — King Norodom Sihanouk of Cambodia, an 81-year-old father of 14 in a statement on his website

“Love and commitment is not exactly in surplus in this country. The main tragedy, what undermines marriage, is divorce.” — Ralph Nader

"I think culturally we're going through a huge change. I look at it in a human context because I have friends in those situations, and it's terrible. All we owe people is dignity, respect and civil rights. I think the country will evolve." — Teresa Heinz Kerry

"I believe strongly in the law that we have right now in California which respects domestic partnership rights and I think that that's a very good law. I believe in equal rights absolutely and in protecting that." — California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comments

1. great collection of quotes...especially the Patti Davis one...

Posted by: stebbins | Feb 25, 2004 11:26:03 AM

2. I swear everything Arnold says sounds like a 3rd grader. His sentences are so primitive.

Posted by: Britt | Feb 25, 2004 12:12:32 PM

3. OK.

Posted by: Toby | Feb 25, 2004 2:29:03 PM

4. Seriously, I LOVE TERESA HEINZ (sorry, I'm from Pittsburgh, and Kerry just doesn't roll off the tongue). I mean, maybe I have ketchup in my eyes, but the woman can do no wrong. I would so want her to be my mother-in-law. But, which son to marry...

Posted by: Kyle | Feb 25, 2004 3:09:43 PM

5. Something I've noticed this week: some Americans are quick to make fun of people with an accent. Just watch TV, listen to the radio or look at your own behaviour.

I needed to say that.

My real comment was: "I'm glad I'm Canadian, if my boyfriend and I wanted to get married, we could, and legally too... well soon anyways!"

Enough with the flag waving already.

Posted by: Françoism | Feb 25, 2004 9:15:20 PM

6. I hope your comment about making fun of those with an accent is not referring to me. I don't make fun of Arnold for his accent. I simply point out that he can't make intelligent comments, regardless of his accent. The only politician who has him beat for dumbest comments perhaps is President Bush. Both come across as complete morons.

Posted by: Britt | Feb 26, 2004 8:51:52 AM

7. It all about the love, leave the gay ones alone. We think that anyone who points a finger at homosexual couples only have a problem with themselves. If you fal in to that category than maybe you are insecure about something in your life. Have you ever thought for a minute that maybe...just maybe you culd be sweet on someone with the same genital region as you. We are NOT lesbians we just believe that Love is Love and we Love it!

Posted by: Sam and Rae | Jun 2, 2004 4:32:46 PM

8. i think that it is everybody's personal choice whether they want to get married and who they want to get married to.

Be it man
    or
    woman

dont worry. Love is stronger than a wedding ring.
    True love will push past homosexual discrimination.
    Believe in yourself and your dreams will come true!

Posted by: storgie | Jul 26, 2004 10:33:01 PM

9. America has no right to decide on who should get married to whom. I think people, and by people I mean homosexuals and heterosexuals, have the ability to decide these kinds of personal things for themselves. Aren't we supposed to be free individuals? I am not a lesbian, but I do support gay marriages. If you don't support gay marriages, that's fine! The least one could to is try to understand these things to their best ability and try to show a little respect, if not any. But no one's saying you have to accept it...

Posted by: Tee | Aug 3, 2004 1:01:34 PM

10. America has no right to decide on who should get married to whom. I think people, and by people I mean homosexuals and heterosexuals, have the ability to decide these kinds of personal things for themselves. Aren't we supposed to be free individuals? I am not a lesbian, but I do support gay marriages. If you don't support gay marriages, that's fine! The least one could to is try to understand these things to their best ability and try to show a little respect, if not any. But no one's saying you have to accept it...

Posted by: Tee | Aug 3, 2004 1:02:30 PM

11. im gay

Posted by: gaybattyboy | Oct 17, 2004 4:57:12 PM

12. you know, i really just wish people would get over it. jsut accept the fact that marriage will continue to change. do u think that african americans could marry one another? how about a latino and someone white. How about an older WOMAN and younger man. Accept the change, and its so much easier.

Posted by: manda | Oct 24, 2004 7:00:45 PM

13. There are two ways to look at gay marriage. People are so easily influenced when it comes to this topic. Either you are gay or you have a gay friend and you are for gay marriage. Or you are completely ignorant to this topic, and you are against it. That is practically the way that this country is run. There is absolutly nothing wrong with gay marriage. If two people find love within eachother, man with man, woman with woman, or man with woman, then everyone else should let them be. There should be no different rights for them, including marriage. So whoever reads this, and is against gay marriage, they should make a friend with a gay person, and know that they are just like you!!!!

Posted by: Brandi Holt | Nov 10, 2004 11:48:52 AM

14. I am not a ignorant person just because i dont share the same opinion as you and gay marriage is wrong becuse GOD said that marriage is between a man and a women. If he wanted same-sex marriage he would have made Adam and Eric not Adam and Eve.

Posted by: Anna | Dec 1, 2004 10:00:42 PM

15. There is nothing wrong with gay marriage. No one should live their life without having someone to love and to be loved back. This is true for everyone including homosexuals. People should get over their ignorance and see that everyone is happy in different ways and if getting married to someone of the same sex makes them happy then that's great. At least give these people some respect if you are not going to support them. You don't see them protesting heterosexual marriages now do you?

Posted by: Kim | Dec 5, 2004 8:47:09 PM

16. Theres nothing wrong with gay marriages and Anna you only say that becasue you heard it and its not right...because how would you like it if you found the love of your life and you couldnt have them because of the govement does not what to pay you money...it is all about money...yes...money

Posted by: whetzell | Dec 7, 2004 2:43:15 PM

17. I'm writing a research paper and I am supposed to argue both cases. Personally I'm finding it difficult to even find reason in why people would be against gay marriages when the only thing that homosexual people are trying to find is happiness. Why the government should have the right to take something that precious away is beyond me.

Posted by: Lindsey | Feb 19, 2005 12:00:12 AM

18. hate to be the odd one out, but i see absolutly no discrimination here. We all have the same rights. Those rights may not appeal to homosexuals but that can hardly be blamed on the laws. If i decide I want to 5 husbands as long as "we are in love" does that make it right? there must be resrictions or there will be a landslide.

Posted by: ashley | Mar 2, 2005 9:47:07 PM

19. Please know that it is not in my heart to bash or speak fouly of any one. I have gay and bisexual friends they know where i stand but know i love them the same as every one else.

Posted by: ashley | Mar 2, 2005 9:49:35 PM

20. All because people like me disagree with gay marriage does not make us "ignorant". I can say that about anyone that doesn't agree with me. I do not to start an argument with anyone. But if marriage is everything... then it's nothing. I think it was a democratic senator that said that.

Posted by: Andrew | Mar 8, 2005 10:30:37 PM

21. well i'm goin to have to say that there is nothing wrong with gay marriage, i am not gay nor do i really have a gay friend. but what could possibly be wrong with loving someone?

Posted by: katie | Mar 16, 2005 7:55:11 PM

22. Gay marriage should be tolerated, if not accepted by the majority of the U.S. I read a quote while researching the pros and cons of the topic, it went along the lines of this:

"A man & a woman in a committed relationship can marry. A dog, no matter the status of the relationship, cannot. How should society treat gays in a committed relationship: like dogs or humans?"

'God' should have nothing to do with the matter. Though I am athiest, I keep trying to see the point of view on the religous conservative and it just doesn't click. Who cares how 'God' put Adam and Eve together. Maybe if he really was a real person, he might not have thought so far ahead as to what might happen after however much time since his was. I don't beleive for a second either that he loves the person but hates the act. If he has so much power than why can't he stop this 'terrible' thing people do? This whole thing is stupid.

Posted by: Hannah | Apr 4, 2005 8:50:39 PM

23. Okay seriously leave the gays alone! A lot of them don't choose to be gay and even if they do, so what!? No one has the right to tell another who they can and can't love or marry. Not like they can help it!
    Who says that marriage is only for men and women to be together? Just because Adam and Eve were created as opposite sexes doesn’t mean God wanted only opposite sexed couples to marry. They needed to be opposite sexes to reproduce. Did God even intend for people to marry? What about those that don’t believe in a God or believe in a different one? Is it really right to force a law upon people who have different beliefs? The first Amendment even states that the bible has no standing in American law.
    What makes this any different from when the blacks had different rights as whites? It's the same thing!
    Parents, if you are against gay marriage you're teaching your kids to hate. Wheather you realized it or not. Besides the fact that you(whom ever is against gay marriage) think it's gross seeing your same sex with each other maybe kissing or showing other way of affection, what is actually wrong about this? Forget about your religion for one moment! Would god want his children treating each other this way. He loves you no matter what. SO LET GAYS MARRY!

Posted by: Ashley | Apr 20, 2005 12:22:09 AM

24. i think that people who have such a problem with homosexual people have a problem with themselves. those people are really missing out, because you could have a friend or someone who is gay. theres nothing wrong with it. its the way god made us, and anyone whos got a problem with that...you come talk to me!

Posted by: danielle | May 19, 2005 4:21:59 PM

25. I don't understand how people can be against it. I'm not gay, but i just don't get it. how can you judge someone for wanting to marry the person they love?

Posted by: Kay | May 22, 2005 9:04:39 PM