Darren Hayes | Gay Marriage | Great Britain | London | Music

BigGayDeal.com

Singer Darren Hayes Comes Out, Marries Partner

Darren_hayesFormerly reluctant to discuss his sexuality, former Savage Garden member-turned-solo artist Darren Hayes came out of the closet on Monday with an announcement on his website that he had married his British boyfriend Richard Cullen in London. The pair have been together for two years. Hayes, an Australian, called it the "most significant event" of his life:

"I feel lucky to live in an era where my relationship can be considered legally legitimate and I commend the UK Government for embracing this very basic Civil Liberty.

I'm proud of who I am, and after what felt like an eternity, I'm finally in a place where my heart is secure and content. And I can finally make sense of all of the searching."

Hayes, who also said he is about to enter the studio to begin recording his third solo album, is not the first music artist to enter into a civil partnership in Britain since they became legal. Elton John married his partner David Furnish last December. And recently, amid media attention surrounding his troubles with driving and drugs, George Michael reiterated his plans to marry longtime partner Kenny Goss.

Related
George Michael: It's Elton's Fault [tr]
Chaos in Windsor as Two Queens Marry [tr]

Comments

1. OK, ok. I've held back as long as I can. But I can't any longer. Can you please explain to me why everyone is STILL calling England's governmental recognition of a relationship between two people of the same gender a marriage? Legally, it's not marriage. It's a registered partnership like thing - which *is* a good thing, don't get me wrong. But the fight in England isn't over - it's not marriage, even though "gay marriage" is what the press likes to calls it.

Posted by: Scott | Jul 18, 2006 12:25:46 PM

2. Do they get all the benefits that come with a marriage? (I'm asking...I'm not trying to be a smartass... I don't think most gays care what you call it as long as the rights are there...)

Posted by: Michael W. | Jul 18, 2006 1:13:05 PM

3. Yup, it ain't "marriage" legally. They need to cross that British Channel and go to Spain or the Netherlands or Belgium for that in Europa. It's about time Hayes comes out...fans have known for years..it wasn't hard to read between the lines of his gender-ambiguous lyrics and his adoration of Madonna.

Posted by: H | Jul 18, 2006 2:34:01 PM

4. A civil partnership is a marriage in all but name.
    Here in England, a registered patnership between two people of the same sex qualifies the indiviuals for tax reliefs, entitlements to the partner's pension/healthcare cover/other work benefits, inheritance tax and others... I don't see what 'fight' needs to be championed, just because it isn't called a traditional marriage.

Posted by: kokodee | Jul 18, 2006 2:55:32 PM

5. at least people can be open about it in England. the police state i live in (also known as Idaho) is trying to make a constitutional amendment making gay marriage illegal. as a proud PFLAG member, i know that most gay couples have more stability (both financially and intimately) than most of us breeders.
    embrace who you are and all that you can be!

Posted by: lady C | Jul 18, 2006 4:03:07 PM

6. Wow, the dude from Savage Garden is gay. Who the hell saw that coming? Seriously, what next? Lance Bass - a homo?! No kiddin'. (rolls eyes)

Posted by: fuggit | Jul 18, 2006 5:43:47 PM

7. Great site, Andy. Hope you're doing well!
    XO!
    Chevy

Posted by: Chris | Jul 18, 2006 7:04:09 PM

8. It's so difficult these days knowing what to bitch about. Is it gay marriage? What's the exact limits of a civil partnership? Who is metrosexual and how does that affect gay people? I can't keep up... Things were so much easier in Britain when gay sex was simply forbidden. Maybe we should bring back the bad old days, eh?

Posted by: John C | Jul 19, 2006 11:36:52 AM

9. I was so glad to hear that Darren is finally opening up about his sexuality, and I wrote a post about this earlier in the week that also noted his charity promotion for children with HIV/AIDS.

Posted by: Nathan | Jul 23, 2006 10:09:38 PM

10. goodlooking .

Posted by: ali | Aug 18, 2006 1:20:54 PM

11. A tribute to all the gay celebs coming out this year, in my best Barbara Streisand voice:

"Its raining,
    it's pouring,
    these gay men are letting go of fears......
    after all these years....."

Congratulations to Neil, T.R., Lance, Darren and all those soon to cum...er, come.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Nov 7, 2006 1:28:51 PM