Holy Redeemer Catholic Church in SF Hit by Vandals

Holyredeemer

Yesterday it was reported that Holy Redeemer Church in San Francisco had been targeted by vandals presumably for its support of Proposition 8. The church was spray painted with “Ratzinger” (referring to the Pope) and Niederauer (referring to the San Francisco archbishop) along with swastikas and other graffiti.

NiederaurerSaid Pastor Steve Meriweather to KCBS: “I think it’s unfortunate that they selected our community to attack, because it’s the wrong one.”

ABC7 wrote: “It appears the vandals are upset about the Catholic church’s support of Proposition 8, which made same-sex marriage illegal in California. But, the Most Holy Redeemer Catholic Church on Diamond Street is gay-friendly. Many parishioners voted against Prop 8 and they are upset their church was targeted. ‘We’re very disturbed by the hierarchy’s support of the Yes on Eight Campaign. We’ve been in conversation with the bishop, which is the way I think we need to handle it. I think Catholic teaching shows us we’re all a community and we all need to talk to one another about it even if we have disagreements,’ said Rob Hopckey.”

Niederauer’s actions during the Prop 8 campaign attracted plenty of attention. The archbishop sent out an email flyer before the election to his Holy Redeemer parishioners urging them to make a “Yes” vote on Proposition 8, as was reported in the San Francisco Chronicle on October 18.

Said Matt Dorsey, a member of the Holy Redeemer Parish Council, to the Chronicle at the time: “It is really out of right field. I would expect this from Karl Rove, but not from the spiritual leader of (several hundred thousand) Catholics.”

Niederauer also defended his action on Prop 8 at the beginning of December in a letter posted to his website. Niederauer urged people to accept the procreation argument for the family and the “marriage” label, and wants gays to accept “a contract for the benefit of a relationship between adults” but not call it marriage. He forgives “single parents, grandparents, foster parents and others” who “fail to realize” the ideal procreative one man-one woman model but doesn’t deny them his permission to marry, because they are heterosexual.
Basically, Niederauer wants gays and lesbians (many of whom do procreate through surrogates, etc, I might add) to accept their status as second-class citizens and move on.

The vandalism is being investigated.

Recently
SF Archbishop Niederauer Wants Gays to Accept Second-Class Status [tr]
S.F. Catholic church walks fine line on Prop. 8 [sf chronicle]

Comments

1. MammaB says

The “but” is misplaced. The statement needs to read:

“Vandalism is in no way justified by any stretch.

Archbishop Niederauer did send out an email flyer before the election to his Holy Redeemer parishioners urging them to make a “Yes” vote on Proposition 8, as was reported in the San Francisco Chronicle on October 18.”

Either we condemn the action or we don’t.

Indefensible actions must not taint the otherwise legitimate condemnation of the Catholic Church’s position on Prop 8.

This is underlined by the apparent fact that the targeted congregation appears to have been against Prop 8.

2. SCOTT says

Sad. Sad. Sad. I saw this while strolling around the Castro yesterday morning. Many of you might disagree, but this is just wrong. These dipshit pro-Prop 8 idiots were just given a boat load of amunition…. there are far better ways to fight this or respond to these individuals, just not this way.

3. elg says

I am not supporting vandalism but everyone should remember the 1960s and 1970s. Vandalism/violence works to some degree. It gets the attention of the powers that be. Dr. Martin Luther King would not have been so successful if Malcolm X had not existed.

4. says

The vandalism is unfortunate and wrong, but let’s dispense with the idiotic notion that there is such a thing as a “gay-friendly Catholic church.” Would anyone dare speak of a “pro-choice Catholic Church”?

5. MammaB says

The point is that a statement like

“I am not supporting vandalism but everyone should remember the 1960s and 1970s. Vandalism/violence works to some degree.”

supports Vandalism/violence by saying that it works to some degree. If that’s what you mean, then say

“Vandalism/violence works to some degree”, without trying to distance yourself from this vandalism.

Try out “I am all for equal rights for gays, but allowing gay marriage devalues the institution of marriage.” You can’t have it both ways.

6. says

I don’t know if I really believe this happened…could it not have been done by pro-Prop 8’ers to drum up a talking point and sympathy? I mean…SWASTIKAS??? I just don’t see it.

At any rate, vandalism is petty and stupid and wrong.

Like the Church.

7. Mike in the Tundra says

Matthew’s mind went the same direction as mine. Let’s wait and see if the police can track down the culprit. My mind keeps going back to the elections and to the time the McCain supporter carved a B on her face.

8. ggreen says

I disagree with vandalism. That said I also disagree with the Most Holy Redeemer Church and its members that send monthly checks to the Vatican which pay for the salaries and lush lifestyles of hateful Catholics like Ratzinger and his boyfriend Niederauer.
    Wake up and smell the coffee people.

9. DC says

This is the Pro Prop 8 supporters trying to strike back because they know that they are losing the fight. We know that they lied in their campaign to pass Prop 8 and we know that these so called Christians will do anything to harm Gay people. I think a swastika is a very appropriate symbol for the Catholic Church, I mean their Pope is a Nazi and there are pictures all over the internet to prove this. The only good Christian is a Gay Christian.

10. Ben says

“Vandalism is in no way justified by any stretch.” “…deplorable…”

Really? I gotta tell you this doesn’t bother me much.

Andy:
    The urge to control ALL responses to anti-gay bigots reveals self-loathing: how is it we are ALL one monolith and supposed to act exactly as They want us to, or you tell us to? Are all straight people responsible for the unibomer and Timothy McVeigh? Just b/c a “church” is tagged doesn’t invalidate the bigotry of Ratzinger and Niederauer. It also does NOT mean “The Gays” are ALL evil.

Like Dan Savage said, if a “church” goes to the trouble to fuck around with people in the public political realm those people will fight back. The “church” has opened itself up to responses of ALL types from ALL people.

11. Mark says

The Catholic Church supported the Nazis and, with regard to homosexuality, still do. It’s called terrorism.

Powerless people use whatever means necessary to strike back…because they have no other options. Resorting to vandalism shows you exactly how desperate and disenfranchised gay people feel, how impoverished we are politically.

I expect to see more.

12. MammaB says

Ben:

“The ‘church’ has opened itself up to responses of ALL types from ALL people.”

That’s not true.

Murder is off the table, from ALL people. Arson is off the table, from ALL people. And vandalism is or isn’t off the table, depending on your point of view.

If it’s a legitimate response, so be it – we should brace ourselves if that’s the case.

The point, as small as it may be, is that it’s not legitimate to denounce it and then excuse it in the same sentence.

“The vandalism, while deplorable, appeared to be targeting that message and not the church’s parishioners.”

13. Eric says

I was quite upset on Sunday morning when I saw this as I walked up to church, as Most Holy Redeemer is MY parish.

I’m glad to see so many of you have turned into the hateful bigots of the right wing. The vast majority of the parish is gay men who support gay marriage. All of you are forgetting the arguments you made a couple of months ago that there is a CIVIL marriage and RELIGIOUS marriage. While our faith teaches that the marriage sacrament is between a man and a women, we firmly believe that the US government should recognize marriage between two people regardless of gender.

Complaining that the Catholic Church is against gay marriage just plays into the right wing fears that allowing same-sex couples to marry will force all churches to marry them, which is not true.

Most Holy Redeemer is probably the most gay friendly church in the United States. Recently we held a vigil at the Pink Triangle Memorial to speak out against Niederauer’s flyer. Our parish continues to do so much for the gay community. We are located in the heart of the Castro and we support our community. Father Steve Meriweather always preaches of inclusivity, regardless of if a person is male, female, black, white, brown, gay, straight, old, young.

The vandals chose the wrong Catholic Church to do this to, and it is hurtful because we thought we were on the same side.

I see now that, despite my work for the No on 8 campaign, many of you do not see me as being on the same side simply because I’m Catholic.

14. Ken says

The Catholic Church is not on our side. The pope only recently compared the threat that gays pose to the world as equal to global warming. If you’re a gay man who props up the Catholic Church or the LDS, you’re a fool.

I whole-heartedly support the defacing of these so-called churches in order to make clear that we will not forget their role in the diminishing of our rights. If one congregation of dillusional queens gets worked up over it. Good. I hope they think long and hard before givign any more donations.

15. Zeke says

My church, a United Church of Christ, has been vandalized NUMEROUS times in the short four and a half years that I have been there. We were vandalized a couple of times after our national church and our local congregation took a public stand in support of spiritual and civil marriage equality for gay people. We were vandalized following 9/11 when we reached out to the local Muslim community to shield them and offer them sanctuary from the ignorant and viciously hateful community that surrounded them. We were vandalized a couple of times more when we took a very public stand in support of a local Muslim man who was arrested and imprisoned for terrorist activity (and who is STILL imprisoned even four years AFTER he was found NOT GUILTY in Federal court of the charges against him). And we were recently vandalized when we UNANYMOUSLY passed a resolution against Amendment 2 and hung a twelve foot banner beside the busy road in front of our church that read “ANOTHER Christian Church against discrimination. VOTE NO on Amendment 2″.

Not one single time has our vandalism made the local (much less national) news. Not one single time have we sought attention from the media or the community when we were targeted. Never have we tried to make a public accusation that the perpetraters were conservatives and fundamentalist Christians, even though we know this to be a fact.

We see the vandalism as the price we pay for speaking what we believe to be true. We don’t whine about it. We don’t cry about it and we don’t draw attention to it in an attempt to gain political points.

We are not atypical of progressive UCC’s and other progressive churches across the country yet somehow you almost never hear of the WEEKLY and long since ongoing vandalism attacks on progressive churches by political and religious conservative.

To this church in CA; to Rick Warren and other fundamentalist who have been whining and crying about the abuse and oppression that they face; to the Mormon church I say, yes, vandalism against your property and acts of hatred toward you are wrong but JESUS CHRIST grow up and suck it up and stop whining, crying and running to the media everytime someone’s mean to you. Stand by what you believe and suffer the consequences of it. If you people had been in charge of the church for the first few centuries the Catholics would have been hard pressed to find a martyr who wasn’t a whining crybaby unworthy of being paid homage. Report the crime to the police, clean it up, keep it to yourselves, move on and stop trying to score political points with your victimization meme. And try, just try to consider the distict possibility that a PRO prop 8 person would have just as much, if not more, incentive to do this than an anti prop 8 person would. Same goes for the alleged white powder at the Mormon Temples. What kind of publicity does this sort of thing generate and who would most benefit from it? The answer seems pretty clear to me.

16. Zeke says

Oh, and we were also vandalized when we took a very public anti-war stand prior to and subsequent to our invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq.

Most churches have comittees formed, discussions, arguments and even wars every twenty years or so when it comes time to repaint the church buildings. We’ve never had that luxury since we find ourselves priming and repainting good portions of our buildings at least twice a year.

17. Eric says

For all you who decry the gay community being painted as a monolith that thinks and acts the same way, you sure do the same thing to other groups.

The comments here are disgusting.

18. Ken says

There’s a big difference betwen demonizing a community of indivuduals and pointing out the transgressions of a wealthy and powerful world-spanning organization operating under a centralized dogma and headed by a supposedly infallible leader.

Spare us your narrow-sighted outrage.

19. MammaB says

Ken:

“I whole-heartedly support the defacing of these so-called churches in order to make clear that we will not forget their role in the diminishing of our rights.” sounds like the “narrow-sighted outrage” that you’re critical of, no?

Ken and Zeke:

There are a lot of people of faith, for lack of a better term, in the USA and elsewhere. Do we have to chose to be either with them (all) or against them (all) based on any one issue?

More specifically, if I think it’s ridiculous, for instance, for any religious organization to benefit from tax breaks, does that justify my defacing their property? Aren’t we mixing two issues, namely a) my passionate disagreement with views that they hold, and b) lawful means of expressing that disagreement?

20. Ken says

MAMMAB: You have a point. And I wouldn’t ordinarily support the destruction of property for the purpose of conveying a message, but a bit of spray painting is little more than an inconvenience that’s easily remedied with a coat of paint. I’m not saying smash the windows and burn the place down. I just think the overwrought reaction to the message is reactionary and way too worried about what the heteros think and not worried enough about the role of the church in relegating our entire community to second class status.

You’re going way too broad in gay/religous relations as this was an action specifically against the position of the Catholic church which has officially taken stances that marginalize and villainize gay people.

We don’t have the money, the power, or the influence to confront the church via mainstream channels, so how does our community challenge an entity so vast? Of course not every member of the church agrees with the pope, but their support of the Church amounts to tacit approval and they need to be confronted with that fact.

How do you confront tyranny? With letters they won’t read? With postcards they ignore?

21. says

Over & over on “liberal” blogs like DailyKos (& now this one) I see people who claim to be “supporters” of gay rights fume & expostulate about how victimized they are. Wowee! Here’s one instance of spraypaint, as easily remedied as any tagger’s — a couple splashes of housepaint and its gone! — and the gay community is somehow the oppressor. Puh leez!

No (straight) Catholic has to defend his or her marriage against a constitutional amendment. Catholics are not victims and watching them fuss and bloviate about a little critical paint (or critical pixels) is merely nauseating and reduces any sympathy I might have had to nil.

What are the consequences of running a political campaign to strip people of basic civil rights? None are acceptable, it seems.

Had any Religious group been targeted by a ballot measure to strip them of civil rights we would all EXPECT violent retaliation — religious people are violent! Gays? Not much. Besides which, of course, gay people just don’t count the same way, so there’s no motive for retaliation cuz, you know, gay people don’t really deserve family rights or any other sort of “rights.”

Deplorable? Hardly. Inconvenient, messy, impolite? That’s about as far as I’d go.

22. says

The community at Most Holy Redeemer is lovely.

However.

Every time they pass the hat, the donations of those lovely people go to support not just a local church, but the hideous institution of which it is a part.

Most Holy Redeemer is wholly accountable for the actions of the Catholic church hierarchy, because it supports the church hierarchy financially.

23. Marla Stevens says

I understand the emotion that would drive one of our own to vandalize the church and, while I share the emotion, I do not condone the vandalism — both because it is strategically unsound and bad behavior of the Golden Rule violation sort. That the Catholic Church is the nation’s wealthiest and most powerful hate group is not an excuse.

That said, until it is proven that one of our own did the deed, we must also leave open the possibility that some antigay person did it, as, strategically, it benefits our opposition more than it does us.

Does that mean that I think we become responsible for any overreaction by the forces of hate — no way! They oppress us whether we react to it or not.

24. KaraokeJoe says

“Most Holy Redeemer is probably the most gay friendly church in the United States.” For starters, for that to be true it would have to not be a roman catholic church. Eric, if you were to alter the anti-gay texts, press releases, bishop’s letter, and pope’s statements for 2008 to be anti-black instead, how many weeks or months or years would you sit in that pew, thinking that it was ok to continue attending “because you didn’t believe that about black people and in fact, you were attending the most black-friendly church in the U.S.?” I’d like to know.

25. says

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 26, 2008

AUSCHWITZ — CHRISTMAS *** 2008 — Part I — A flashback far more severe than in — BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN

Dear Fr. Geoff Farrow,

I have been so saddened by Pope Benedict XVI’s cruel words to LGBTQ people around the world, to their parents, families and friends, most ESPECIALLY TO CHILDREN. After reading the accounts of this human travesty, I did not know where to find comfort or hope. And then I thought about your blog. And just like receiving a wonderful Christmas present, sure enough I found the hope and comfort I needed to hear.

I am a priest and a clinical psychologist (MS). And for one of my research projects I chose to do a qualitative research project of the recorded verbal accounts of survivors of the Holocaust, 50 years after the event. It was a difficult research project, because I could not make sense of one of the accounts of the survivors.

For example, one survivor was describing what it was like riding the train to AUSCHWITZ, but he was describing how he was trying to make conversation with a girl on the train. I listened and wrote out this one account almost 30 times but I just was not getting it. I could not understand how this man could be talking about wanting to make conversation with this girl on the same train to AUSCHWITZ!?!

Because I had taught high school religion classes for nearly 20 years, it hit me hard, like a flash of lightning. Instantly, all the pieces came together, so fast. Though this survivor was in his late 60’s when he gave his account of his story on audiotape, he was remembering the events that took place, but naturally they were recounted through the mind of a teenager, the age he was on the train to AUSCHWITZ. That is why the dialogue wasn’t making any sense. I was thinking of him as an old man because the voice on the audiotape was the voice of a 68-year-old. As shocking as a bomb going off, all the different aspects of the psychological developmental stages of a teenager kicked in. I realized only too fully that he was just a young normal teenager on that train!!! And so was the girl he was trying to make conversation, and their moms and dads were there with them!!! There was no way to pretend I did not realize what I discovered. It kept hitting me: this is not some script from a movie or TV miniseries on the Holocaust. No; as much as I wished it were. The reality of this horror hit me all at once, on so many different levels of consciousness: what an unbelievable horror it was!!! How could we treat human beings like this! I remember when the realization of the magnitude of this horror first hit me, like an instant reflex. I threw down the transcript I was holding as if it were a blazing hot poker. It kept hitting me over and over again that this is not a movie script or some kind of play – this really happened! It really happened! Oh, my God, how could this have happened!?!!!

My supervisor told me at the time that I was traumatized by the oral content. Qualitative research is an attempt to understand the complexity of emotions, the kinds of emotions, and the degree of intensity involved. Our emotions are what allow us to connect with other human beings. We identify with the non-verbal quality of emotions more immediately and strongly than with the words used to express them. The non-verbal qualities include tone of voice, eye contact, facial expression, body posture, and gestures, all of which express emotions. Emotions are why we can connect with people through time, across cultures, and individually. It is the expression of human emotions in the arts that makes some works of art timeless, because they continually speak to all people through the ages.

And when I heard what Pope Benedict XVI said about homosexuals and transgendered human beings at Christmas 2008, I felt that same trauma all over again. Because in some way, somehow, he was conveying in a non-verbal manner the horror of the Holocaust, in what appears to be a traumatized, trance-like, accepted social norm from that period of time dictating that some people just don’t count, aren’t important, and can be easily disposed of. And if you rock the boat, you could be next to be disposed of.

I truly have to believe that a person in his position would not be doing this consciously or intentionally. The horror of the Holocaust is like an atomic bomb with fallout so extensive that it spreads over a radius of more than 150 miles. The horror of the Holocaust began in 1933 and ended in 1945. The psychological fallout would have been far more extensive and more deadly, especially when it is not identified as such.

It hit me the way it did when I realized that the research I was doing about a Holocaust survivor, a man 68 years old telling his story, who was remembering what it was like to be on the train to AUSCHWITZ, from the perspective of a young teenage boy who just wanted to talk to a girl. It seemed like the same kind of horror, a tacit assumption that some people don’t count and can be disposed of without remorse. Could it be that Benedict XVI is unconsciously repeating Hitler’s crime against humanity by taking on a long-accepted social attitude from that period of time?

The question I asked myself was: what would it have been like for someone growing up gay during the Nazi Persecution of Homosexuals 1933 -1945?

What would be the severity of the psychological effects on a boy who grew up to be gay in Germany during the time of Hitler’s NAZI PERSECUTION OF HOMOSEXUALS 1933 -1945? During the Nazi regime, homosexuals were publicly defamed and falsely accused for the major social problems of that time, which was done to incite massive public hatred and hostility directed against homosexuals. Homosexuals were used for medical experiments, physically mutilated, brutally tortured and exterminated.

Would this child, as an adult, in a severe dissociated state of mind from his own homosexual feelings (Harry Stack Sullivan MD, Dissociative Processes, Clinical Studies on Psychiatry (1956)), unconsciously perpetuate the terrifying horror of the insensitivity he had experienced growing up? If he found himself in a position of authority would he recreate the same social and political environment of violence and terror for homosexuals that he experienced, as a child who grew up to be gay, during the NAZI PERSECUTION OF HOMOSEXUALS?

I think in truth on a much deeper level I was frightened, really frightened, to hear Pope Benedict XVI’s Christmas remarks against homosexuals and transgendered human beings and even more frightened by the silence from the larger global community of human beings. What is so frightening is, even if there is agreement that one person does not matter or is not important, in truth then no one matters. Therefore, when I thought about your blog and what you did on October 5, 2008, I felt more reassured, I felt hope, and I felt comforted. NOW, isn’t that the true meaning of Christmas?

God Bless you,

Fr. Marty Kurylowicz

UNITED STATES HOLOCAUST MEMORIAL MUSEUM
    100 Raoul Wallenberg Place, SW
    Washington, DC 20024-2126
    Main telephone: (202) 488-0400
    TTY: (202) 488-0406

Why Bother About Homosexuals?
    Homophobia and Sexual Politics in Nazi Germany (2002)
    by Geoffrey J. Giles explanation of Hitler’s immediate action taken against gays, when he came to power, accounts of the inhuman treatment of gays.

Martin S. Kurylowicz, M.Div., M.S.
    4005 Cornerstone, Dr.
    Canton, Michigan 48188
    Phone: 248-921-3249
    Email: martinsk@comcast.net
    Website: http://www.martinkurylowicz.com/
    Blog: http://fathermartykurylowicz.blogspot.com/

26. Ben says

re: MammaB

You miss the point entirely.

The “Church” has indeed OPENED ITSELF up to all responses from all people. Whether those responses are, as you say, “legitimate” or acceptable to us is irrelevant. Whether the “church” is deserving of those responses is equally irrelevant.

“Murder is off the table, from ALL people. Arson is off the table, from ALL people.”

What the hell are you talking about? Where did that come from? Setting fires and killing people bad, got it. Sadly, Gays are brutally murdered regularly in this country, Gay bars get firebombed. I guess some people didn’t get your memo.