Anne Hathaway | James Franco | News | Oscars

Report: James Franco and Anne Hathaway to Host Oscars

Deadline Hollywood's Nikke Finke reports: Franco_hathaway

"I've just learned that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences has asked James Franco and Anne Hathaway to host the Academy Awards, and it "looks like" both young stars have accepted the offer. There is always the chance that one or both of them might back out because of prior commitments and other concerns. But my sources say the host announcement could be made as soon as this week."

Comments

1. oh my, how "gay adjacent" can you get? i hope it happens, it should be amazing.

Posted by: jack | Nov 29, 2010 12:06:37 PM

2. Wow, amateur hour! Is James Franco going to be baked out of his mind the entire time? I hope so.

Posted by: naughtylola | Nov 29, 2010 12:26:31 PM

3. LOL @ "gay-adjacent" -- so true!

Love them both, but it is a weird choice for Franco as he almost certainly is in the running for Best Actor for "HOWL" or "127 Hours". I can't recall a Best Actor nominee hosting in his own year...?

For hosting, I'd go Anne + Jake, or Anne + Hugh Jackman (they were adorable together previously).
    Why not have hosting by Anne Hathaway and MEryl Streep? They are funny, can sing, and Meryl knows everybody and for once is NOT in the running!

Posted by: Strepsi | Nov 29, 2010 12:48:47 PM

4. That would be teriffic, Strepsi. Meryl could bitch thewhole evening about not being nominated.

Still, I adore Anne Hathaway, and Franco could kiss all the male winners.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Nov 29, 2010 1:01:56 PM

5. I like those two as actors and people, but think it's an odd choice to host. Seems boring. I say bring back Whoopi, Chris Rock, or Jon Stewart. Bill Maher would be a great new choice.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Nov 29, 2010 1:19:10 PM

6. I agree that Franco is an odd choice. Assuming he does it and he's not nominated, it looks like he's being punished. If he's nominated and loses, ditto. And if he wins, it looks like a fix.

I can't see why he or the Academy would want any of those possibilities, unless they're truly desperate for press. Though actually, Franco has been something of a press whore for a year or two.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 29, 2010 1:25:16 PM

7. Interesting choices. I would've gone with Ricky Gervais. Loved him at the Emmy's and GG's.

Posted by: Joel V | Nov 29, 2010 1:49:41 PM

8. He absolutely will be nominated for 127 Hours, but I don't see him winning--I think Colin Firth's "due"ness will help the Academy escape any appearance they're punishing Franco for hosting.

All that said: exciting gayish choices.

Posted by: AdamA | Nov 29, 2010 3:52:06 PM

9. Ricky Gervais is hosting the Golden Globes for the second year, so he was locked up.

Paul "Crocodile Dundee" co-hosted the Oscars back in the '80s (with Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase!) the same night he was nominated for Best Original Screenplay. He lost to Woody Allen and made jokes about it.

Posted by: FilmTurtle | Nov 29, 2010 3:56:32 PM

10. I couldn't stand Ricky Gervias at the Golden Globes... and I usually like him.

I find James Franco very funny... I think he'd do fine. I have no opinion on Anne Hathaway.

Posted by: Ryan | Nov 29, 2010 5:50:52 PM

11. James seems to be ticking another box from his "Things I Want To Do In My Lifetime" list.

I love him to bits, so of course I don't mind at all. I'd watch him knit a sweater.

Posted by: sparks | Nov 29, 2010 7:05:23 PM

12. I think Anne Hathaway is unspeakably gorgeous…interesting choice, its nice to see young hollywood stars taking the reigns. Thats a suprising pairing…but interesting….will see!

Posted by: Limo London | Nov 30, 2010 2:18:04 AM

13. "unspeakably gorgeous"? Put down the pipe dude.

Posted by: Rowan | Nov 30, 2010 3:39:56 AM

14. So, James Franco and Anne Hathaway are hosting the Oscars. I'm supposed to be happy considering that one of the hosts was on "Freaks and Geeks" to start its career, but for some reason, I'm just meh about the whole thing. Plus, I was only half right about who's going to have the most successful post-F&G career (Franco being one of them). Meanwhile Linda Cardellini is just lucky to just to get supporting Indie roles.

I'm not taking anything away from the other cast members of F&G: Seth Rogen is suprisingly the most sucessful of the group besides Franco, Jason Segel came into his own with How I Met Your Mother and Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Even Busy Philipps managed to land a cushy supporting role in Cougartown. So far, very little luck for Ms. Cardellini after her six-year long run in ER.

I wish she could make a big comeback in Hollywood soon because I would like to see Linda be involved in a big project soon to make her a star and possibly be nominated for major film awards. Linda needs to contact Judd Apatow to see if there are any major female lead in his films that she could showcase her talent.

The Geeks aren't doing too bad either although they are mostly doing supporting roles with Martin Starr doing Dinner Party, Samm Levine did Inglorious Bastards with Quientin Tarentino, and John Dailey is doing Bones. I like to see big things from them someday as well.

Posted by: Kerwin | Nov 30, 2010 9:02:12 AM