Gay Marriage | Hawaii | News

BigGayDeal.com

Hawaii Governor Neil Abercrombie Signs Civil Union Bill

Hi

Moments ago, Governor Neil Abercrombie signed Hawaii's civil union bill into law. I'll have archived video here if/when available.

The Star-Advertiser reports

"E Komo Mai: It means all are welcome. This signing today of this measure says to all of the world that they are welcome. That everyone is a brother or sister here in paradise...The legialization of civil unions in Hawaii represents in my mind equal rights for all people."

Video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Just wonderful, Governor Abercrombie, I truly felt the Aloha spirit with this signing and your wonderful speech. CONGRATS HAWAII!!!

Posted by: possiblyasimpleton | Feb 23, 2011 7:16:14 PM

2. Congrats gay Hawaiians. You are now officially 2nd class citizens

Posted by: SteveC | Feb 23, 2011 7:26:03 PM

3. The least Hawaii could do, after giving us DOMA.
    Here's to full Hawaiian marriage equality soon (and repeal of DOMA, to boot).

Posted by: BABH | Feb 23, 2011 7:50:00 PM

4. No Governor, not yet equal. And I will still prefer to spend my tourist dollar on jurisdictions with better records on equality.

Posted by: Traveler J | Feb 23, 2011 7:51:01 PM

5. Does it go into effect immediately or is there some date to watch for?

Posted by: ravewulf | Feb 23, 2011 8:04:59 PM

6. Goes into effect Jan 1, 2012

Posted by: Giff | Feb 23, 2011 8:38:23 PM

7. This is wonderful news! Good on HI. I remember writing to the previous govenor, pleading with her to sign the exact same bill last year. She didn't. Glad to see we are moving forward. So much good news today.

Posted by: Alfonso Matias Jr | Feb 23, 2011 10:16:55 PM

8. And who says Republicans are better for the gays? LIARS!

Posted by: NY2.0 | Feb 23, 2011 11:58:35 PM

9. "... civil unions in Hawaii represents in my mind equal rights ... "

Well, your mind must be a bizarre place. Second class is second class. It's better than third class, but it's not equal, and stop patting yourself on the back as if it is.

Posted by: Randy | Feb 24, 2011 12:18:52 AM

10. @ Traveler:
    Good luck spending those tourist dollars in the U.S. There are exactly 5 states that offer marriage equality. I hope you live in Iowa so that you can spend your money visiting Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire (assuming the Republicans don't repeal the law) or Vermont. You can also see the sights in Washington, D.C. or visit the Coquille Indian Tribe in Oregon.

Meanwhile, in 29 states (30 if you count California)gay marriage is prohibited by that state's constitution and in 13 more states it is prohibited by statute.

Maryland is moving towards marriage recognition as early as next month. New York and Rhode Island are also potentials for marriage equality in 2011.

So, heartfelt congratulations to Hawaii for making progress and joining New Jersey, Illinois, Oregon, Washington, Nevada and California in recognizing gay couples.

Yes, it is not full equality. But better to be at least ON the bus, instead of getting thrown under it.

Good luck Maryland!

Posted by: TruthSeeker_Too | Feb 24, 2011 5:40:11 AM

11. To Truthseeker: I didn't say I wouldn't visit Hawaii at all, just that I would be less likely than if it had full marriage equality. Same with California and Washington.

And yes, I do like visiting DC, Boston, Connecticut, and New Hampshire. I also like visiting Spain and the Netherlands, and am looking forward to visiting Portugal, (parts of) Scandinavia, Iceland, and South Africa, all of which have marriage equality.

Posted by: Traveler J | Feb 24, 2011 9:29:24 AM