Britney Spears | FOX News | George Michael | Glenn Beck | Grindr | John Ensign | Madonna | Michael Stipe | News

BigGayDeal.com

News: John Ensign, LGBT Comics, West Hollywood, Grindr

Beck_crying-16a00d8341c730253ef0147e309b456970b-800wi West Hollywood in flux: "An uncommonly bitter [City Council] election has exposed a growing divide over what West Hollywood should represent, with prosperity and urban development pitted against the city’s history as a countercultural haven."

6a00d8341c730253ef0147e309b456970b-800wi Are Glenn Beck's days at Fox News numbered?: "Since last August, when he summoned more than 100,000 followers to the Washington mall for the 'Restoring Honor' rally, Mr. Beck has lost over a third of his audience on Fox — a greater percentage drop than other hosts at Fox... The erosion is significant enough that Fox News officials are willing to say — anonymously, of course; they don’t want to be identified as criticizing the talent — that they are looking at the end of his contract in December and contemplating life without Mr. Beck."

6a00d8341c730253ef0147e309b456970b-800wi Miley Cyrus tries her hand at drag by impersonating Justin Bieber on Saturday Night Live.

6a00d8341c730253ef0147e309b456970b-800wi Immigration officials will soon force a gay Maryland to turn over his long-time boyfriend for deportation. Inequality in action, America!

6a00d8341c730253ef0147e309b456970b-800wi Republican Nevada Sen. John Ensign, perhaps best known for sleeping with his chief of staff's wife and then covering it up, will retire, rather than seek reelection. That, as Tea Party adherents would say, is just common sense.

6a00d8341c730253ef0147e309b456970b-800wi Enter: A month of LGBT comic book reviews.

6a00d8341c730253ef0147e309b456970b-800wi Actor Shiloh Fernandez will appear in Red Riding Hood, and I imagine he'll also be making cameos in many, many fantasies.

Britney_Madonna6a00d8341c730253ef0147e309b456970b-800wiFor those of you interested in sexy technology news, you may be happy to hear that Grindr, the app that takes the fun out of gaydar by locating nearby members looking for some fun, can now be downloaded for the Android.

6a00d8341c730253ef0147e309b456970b-800wi Social conservative activist Ralph Reed says he and his ideological peers want a presidential nominee who "thinks that social [issues] shouldn’t ride in the back of the bus." Of course they do.

6a00d8341c730253ef0147e309b456970b-800wi In other non-surprising news, the Iowa Faith and Freedom Coalition won't let gay GOP nominee Fred Karger speak at their event tonight.

6a00d8341c730253ef0147e309b456970b-800wi French filmmaker Michel Gondry gets back to his roots with a Living Sisters' music video.

6a00d8341c730253ef0147e309b456970b-800wi Madonna and Britney Spears will appear on alternate covers for Out's "ladies we love" issue.

6a00d8341c730253ef0147e309b456970b-800wi A 16-year old boy has been arrested for attacking his gay classmate.

Stipe_Michael 6a00d8341c730253ef0147e309b456970b-800wi Conservative Baptist leaders are finally starting to understand that old saying, "We're here, we're queer, get used it," although that doesn't mean they're particularly gay about it.

6a00d8341c730253ef0147e309b456970b-800wi “On a sliding scale of sexuality I'd place myself around 80-20, but I definitely prefer men to women,” says R.E.M. singer Michael Stipe about his sexuality. "I hate and refuse to apply the term bisexual to myself. It doesn't seem appropriate. It feels like just another label.”

6a00d8341c730253ef0147e309b456970b-800wi George Michael took his drug-related prison stint with a smile: "This was a hugely shameful thing to have done repeatedly. So karmically I felt like I had a bill to pay. I went to prison, I paid my bill."

6a00d8341c730253ef0147e309b456970b-800wi Things you don't want to know about Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas.

Comments

1. Britney Spears a "Lady We Love?" Who else is in the issue? Kim Kolciak? Paris Hilton? Kim Kardashian?
    There used to be a time when gay men were at the forefront of art and culture. Now, we're content to watch soulless reality shows on Bravo and jizz over autotuned pop "divas."
    Pathetic.

Posted by: tpow | Mar 7, 2011 5:08:46 PM

2. TPOW

Yep.

Posted by: Rowan | Mar 7, 2011 5:27:00 PM

3. Not sure what the fuss is about with Grindr. The site Gaydar.co.uk has had an app for a while(and you could just use the real site on android anyway), and it has WAY more members locally.

Most of the members showing are Apple and Blackberry users anyway.. Eww..

Posted by: Rovex | Mar 7, 2011 5:27:40 PM

4. The gay character of West Hollywood is really a secondary issue in the election (there are, in fact, more gay venues and gay people patronizing them on any given night than there have ever been). Although demographics and interests are indeed changing, the real issue is the extent to which big money development and oversized projects will affect the community's character. Simply by it's location--wedged between Beverly Hills and a resurgent Hollywood--West Hollywood is, for better or worse, "doomed to success" in the sense that it's still a place where developers would like to build. The question is whether voters want a council that listens principally to the developers and their campaign contributions or the concerns of the residents.

Posted by: Gianpiero | Mar 7, 2011 5:37:22 PM

5. All these sad immigration stories really reminds me of how DOMA absolutely has to be repealed. And how faulty our immigration laws are in America, gay and straight couples alike.

Southwestern Indiana just sounds like complete hell. My thoughts go out to the 16 yr old kid. Sounds like the typical insecure possible/probable closet-case attacker situation.

And Glenn Beck being off the air? Excuse me if I don't shed any tears about that.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 7, 2011 5:37:51 PM

6. So West Hollywood is going the way of the Dodo bird. Another gayborhood bites the dust. Too bad, I always liked West Hollywood.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 7, 2011 5:53:43 PM

7. I've loved George Michael forever, but "I went to prison, I paid my bill" sounds a bit too much like paying off a bar tab and starting a new one. Hopefully he has realized that substances turn him into a mess and that he's better off steering clear than thinking he can maintain control after the first hit.

Posted by: sparks | Mar 7, 2011 6:25:27 PM

8. At this point, Michale Stipe is just sooooooo boring. Who cares????...he is irrelevant.

Posted by: Frank | Mar 7, 2011 6:55:41 PM

9. If FOX fires Beck he can start a new show on Oprah's (failing) network with Charlie Sheen.

"One and a Half Men."

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 7, 2011 7:30:18 PM

10. No way will Fox rid itself of Beck, and I'm not sure how many times I've heard Stipe say that quotation. The "labels" talk is just so tiresome.

"On a sliding scale of sexuality I'd place myself around 80-20, but I definitely prefer men to women." Really? So 4 in 5 times you'd prefer a guy, and you have to spell out that it means you definitely prefer men? No one cares.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 7, 2011 8:10:03 PM

11. It goes to show that the majority of gay men are emotionally STUNTED in high school! You guys will NOT.....refuse to let this "Madonna and Britney" things go the HELL away! these two chicks DO NOT like you nor give one damn about gay men! THEY ONLY LIKE YOU WHEN AN ALBUM COMES OUT OR A TOUR IS STARTED!!!! Jeez....go get therapy and grow up dudes....they are NOT bi...they do NOT like women....nor you!

Posted by: shannon | Mar 8, 2011 12:49:41 AM

12. @ Shannon, while I agree with you about Britney, I have always felt that she is a talentless hack and has no interest in the gay community whatsoever. Madonna on the other hand has always been a friend and supporter from the very beginning of her career.

Posted by: Manhattanvince | Mar 8, 2011 7:55:39 AM

13. Thank you, ManhattanVince... Madonna has been a huge supporter of gay rights and HIV/AIDS awareness and fundraising. She was one of the few, if not the only, current and popular artists out there who challenged the ultra-conservative movement during the Reagen 80s. She has made a big difference for gay rights and women's rights. She has earned our community's respect. Shannon, I get it if you were too young and don't remember what Madge has done for us, but rather that making such a bitchy comment, it would be nice if you actually listened to your elders who remember what she did for us. Gaga, Britney or Beyoncé would have had a much harder time becoming a success today without Madonna before them... successful female rock/pop artists were extremely rare before her.

Posted by: GraphicJack | Mar 8, 2011 3:04:09 PM