Comments

1. brenda says

I’m a little disappointed that Don Lemon and other interviewers don’t challenge Rick Santorum more about his homophobia.

For example, why not ask him this question:

“Why do you think that religion is a valid ground to discriminate against others and deny them the same rights as you?”

Or this follow-up:

“If America constitutionally ensures the free exercise of religion, and therefore all religions and nonreligions can practice freely, then why do you feel that your own homophobic view of religion should be given precedent all the way up to denying others the same rights that you enjoy?”

I just feel that the level of questioning ENABLES these political bigots to paint FALSE pictures of themselves.

Agree or not agree?

2. Pete n SFO says

“yeah, my gay friends understand I want to pass laws against them…”

you know, I’m not buyin’ it.

Personally, I’d like to pass laws restricting Conservatives, but I highly doubt they would take that in stride.

3. Dorishin says

ok so lets not forget that there is the part of the definition of Homophobia that includes discrimination…not just a fear or aversion to Homosexuals so it depends on what context people answer the I am not a Homophobe question.
    Merriam Webster:
    ho·mo·pho·bia noun ˌhō-mə-ˈfō-bē-ə
    Definition of HOMOPHOBIA

: irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals

Rick Santorum = Homophobe

4. Trev says

I love them but I want to deny them fundamental human rights and force them by law to be second class citizens. I love them but I want to demonize them in front of my Christian friends even if it forces innocent teens to jump off bridges or blow their brains out. I love them but I want to leverage the hatred of others to win political office. I love them but I want to abuse them mercilessly and treat them as if I despise them.

And of course they respect me for that.

5. Mike says

@Brenda – excellent point! I wish those questions would be asked also. Unfortuately it appears the press just continues to give these bullshitters a bully pulpit to spew their hate. We need to keep applying the pressure, so hopefully one day those questions will start to be asked. I also agree with what many others have pointed out… If Santorum has friends, it says more about them than him.

6. Dastius Krazitauc says

Brenda, here is the question I want asked of homophobic politicians:

“America is a tapestry made up of all kinds of people. How do you see gay people fitting into that tapestry? You don’t want gay couples to have any form of legal recognition, you don’t want them to adopt, you don’t want them to serve openly in the military, you don’t think they need workplace protection or hate crimes protection, and in some cases, you don’t want them teaching in the classroom. So, in your opinion, what is their place in the American tapestry?

7. t says

Remember Mary Cheney?

BTW, gay couples are also taxed on their health insurance and are ineligible to receive their spouse’s social security benefits, unlike married straight couples.

8. Todd B says

BRENDA- I LOVE YOU!!!!!! How can we get those questions to the right people??? Send them to PBS or NPR- they seem to be the only ones that wouldnt have a problem with asking those questions. They have bigger balls than the mainstream media for sure.

9. wyocwboy62 says

simply put you can have gay friends and be a homophobe…..I really get tired of these homophobes say they are not homophobe when they do not support equal rights…to me having gay friends and being a homophobe is a oxymoron!

10. Robert says

I’m always amused when these right wing wackos claim they have gay friends and love them as if it gets them them off the homophobia hook, while stabbing them in the back when calling for a ban on our marrying, among other things. GOProud will be groveling, kissing and licking his ass if he gets to the White House. Disgusting piece of human detritus. I wouldn’t mind betting he’s another Ken Mehlman in the making, married or not.

11. Den says

Maybe he only meant ‘gay’ in the old fashioned happy sense of the word. You know, before us homos ‘stole’ the word. He was referring only to his happy friends. Perhaps when Don Lemon clarified that he meant homosexual friends the response was “Good God No, Never….

12. brenda says

Thanks Mike, Dastius Krazitauc, and Todd B. for your feedback and support. I wish these more challenging questions could be answered.

And best wishes to all you gentlemen and to Steve for posting this today.

Say, am I the only woman or lesbian who comments on towleroad these days?

13. Tigger says

The whole point of a gay person having any kind of a relationship with this dbag is the maybe someday change that cold black heart. Not working so far. Keep trying I guess,. Elton did sing at Rush’s wedding for just that reason. didnt work yet either…

14. jamal49 says

Reminds me of way-back-when people who wanted to seem “open-minded” would toss out such bon-bons as “some of my best friends are coloured people”.

Rick Santorum has “gay friends”? I doubt it. Unless they’re the Log Cabinettes or the GOProud Girls. I’m sure they would support such a candidate. After all, Rick is for free-markets, smaller government, strong national defense, less regulation and states’ rights. You know, the things that make those Log Cabinettes and GOProud Girls quiver in their tighty-whiteys.

15. jaragon says

I’m sure Santorum has gay friends-there is a difference between a public and private persona- he is obviously going after he rabid conservative vote. By the way the other night TCM ran Gore Vidal’s “The Best Man” and Cliff Robertson who plays the slimy ( and possible closet case) reminded me of Santorum ( and no please I’m not suggesting the scumbag is gay)

16. Lez says

@brenda – Good points, and not just for the U.S., here in Australia we have the same issue with “journalists” seeming to ask the questions the politicians want to / can only answer and with very little follow up.

Watching American politics (yes I have become a loser) is now a past time of mine, I find it very fascinating.

As a gay middle aged male I’ve seen a lot of changes over the years but things have changed or seem to be changing and we unfortunately seem to be going the same way as the U.S.; that is it seems for every step forward there are two back.

I wish the religious “extremists” would either get out of my bed and life for that matter or totally adopt their bible and not pick and choose.

17. Hans says

You know, at first I was going to jump on the bandwagon saying I’d love to meet these “gay friends” of his (and I still would–get on that 60 Minutes!), but then I started thinking about it, and I’m probably someone’s “gay friend” too. I grew up in the South, and while I wasn’t out in high school, I’ve since come out to a handful of those friends (the ones I still keep in touch with), and I would be willing to bet that several of them (not to mention my very conservative extended family) are probably against gay marriage, adoption, etc.

When we talk or hang out, however infrequently, I guess it just gets compartmentalized. I’m not saying that’s the upstanding or even the healthy thing to do; I’m just saying that it happens (at least in my experience). Obviously there’s a tension, and we’ll never be super close because of that, but there’s also an inertia to the relationship that extends back to the closet. Does the friendship just stop cold turkey when I come out? You can’t just write off everyone who doesn’t have a PFLAG bumper sticker on their car.

Does it mean that I’m self-hating or weak-willed because I didn’t cut off half of my Christmas card list when I came out? Hmm…possibly. Or maybe I’m an operative for the cause, trying to change hearts and minds from the inside? I really think it’s more of a status quo thing than either extreme. And I would guess that a lot of red-state gays could identify on some level.

Santorum’s supposed gay friends probably occupy a similar position: they’re on the periphery of his circle (an acquaintance from the PTA, coworkers, wife’s cousin, etc), and he’s using them to shield himself, but they’re not close enough to cause him to re-examine his positions on the issue. With that said, I find it really repulsive that he’s using his gay friends the way he is–trying to imply that his positions have some kind of gay friend stamp of approval.

18. billy wingarden says

Some of the worst of homophobes alway say they have gay friends,

Perhaps it is their way of hiding their guilt for people they knew who were gay……..

Whom these religious creeps helped drive to suicide.

Or is it just another blatant lie. From the same people who talk about sin.

Last time I looked the bible said something about not bearing false witness etc.

19. billy wingarden says

BTW, Santorum is a baptist minister. the worst of the worst of the homophobes. the group that gave us slavery, the KKK and segregation.

20. Bill Perdue says

What a bigot.

He said that the phrase “under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance and voluntary student prayer groups… should be less strictly policed. ”

In April 2008 he challenged party members to “get in church, reach out to evangelicals [and] link faith with the work that we do.” He said “those of us of religious faith [have to] translate our language into a universal language that can appeal to everybody.” Secular Coalition of America 2008

MSNBC reports him saying that he “felt a beckoning of the spirit and accepted Jesus Christ into his life.” 2008

The PBS Program Religion and Ethics notes that he warned his party “not to run away from religion. He has spoken openly about his own beliefs, and his campaign has employed a vigorous faith-based outreach strategy. Experts say this has earned him support within the religious community, but religion has also generated controversy for him.”

“As a starting point, it means I believe in — that Jesus Christ died for my sins, and that I am redeemed through him. That is a source of strength and sustenance on a daily basis…. I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman. Now, for me as a Christian — for me — for me as a Christian, it is also a sacred union. God’s in the mix.” Transcript, Saddleback Presidential Forum beamed and streamed live to millions on Fox, CNN and MSNBC.

Oops. That’s not Santorum. I got my christer bigots all mixed up.

21. Tommyboy says

“I have gay friends” has no relation to the question. He is homophobic, so ask about discrimination in general. Im sure he has black friends, Jewish friends, and women friends, too!

22. just_a_guy says

Umm, nope.

If they are not self-loathers, they are at best polite to him. And they probably amount to silly house-gays for bothering with much politeness when it comes to this guy.

He’s saying the same thing as Maggie Gallagher and the Mormon “prophet”–and all the other religious tyrants like Dobson and Robertson. These people pray to the hate-gays-god becuz it pays them by riling up haters on their behalf. Never mind that they are supposed to be “Christian.” Please.

23. r says

the saddest thing of all is that he is right about having gay staffers…

some gay republicans either agree that there should not be marriage equality, or they’ll do anything for tax cuts and corporate interests

24. evan says

So if the purpose of marriage is for procreation, what does that mean for the couple that experiences infertility. Must they divorce? What about the elderly couple who marry after losing first spouses. And then Santorum says, marriage and procreation, has been tradition for thousands of years. Well, ummmmm, shouldn’t he take care of that troubling divorce rate of more than 50%? What my wife and I do in our bedroom is no one’s business but our own.

25. says

Look let’s get real. I like Mr. Lemon when it comes to his professionalism and his ability to cover the story. But when HE OPENS the door to his personal life and his practices by commenting on it in the public, he opens the door to the ramifications of it. Don Lemon is contributing to the demise of the black women, check this story out, and I bet after reading it you won’t dare call me a LIAR!!!!