2012 Election | 9/11 | Boston | France | Gay Parents | John Irving | Mitt Romney | Nebraska | Nicolas Sarkozy

BigGayDeal.com

NEWS: L. Ron Hubbard, Nicolas Sarkozy, Ron Brown, And Other Rascals

Nicolas-Sarkozy ROADICON Buhbye, Sarkozy:

Left-wing candidate François Hollande has defeated incumbent Nicolas Sarkozy in Sunday's runoff, exit polls say, becoming the first Socialist to win a presidential election since François Mitterrand in 1988.

François Hollande has won France’s presidential election, giving the country its first Socialist president in almost two decades, exit polls showed Sunday.

According to Ipsos polling institute, the left-wing candidate took 51.7% of the vote to incumbent Nicolas Sarkozy’s 48.3%.

Celebrations are underway at the iconic Place de la Bastille in central Paris, the same spot where the last Socialist to win a presidential election, François Mitterrand, celebrated his first victory back in 1981.

ROADICON American politics: worse than it looks.

ROADICON The writer's father came, but seemingly never all the way:

It was around the time that Bart died of AIDS that things began to get really bad. That was when my dad had dyed his bangs platinum, which didn’t go over so well with the congregation he then served and would not serve much longer. This was around the time that in a fifth- or sixth grade art class I made a painting of a male seraph sealed in a black box in the center of an otherwise Edenic scene and wrote, in black block letters across the top, Who are you forcing into the closet? A nasty debate ensued over whether it could go up on the middle-school wall. I can only imagine that my dad had gone to see “Angels in America,” talked about it at home. It is, however, also possible that this episode lends credence to his idea that I knew all along ...

ROADICON Anti-gay Nebraska football coach Ron Brown attracts media attention for not testifying against Omaha's anti-discrimination law. Why isn't he testifying? Because he doesn't want to attract media attention:

Brown, who the university has said is within his rights as a citizen to express his religious and political views publicly, says he doesn't want his appearance to make news.

"A number of fellow Christians who have been working on legislation and working on the nuts and bolts of this issue told me, 'Look, there's going to be so much media attention over you, it's going to take away from the issue,'" Brown told the Lincoln Journal Star on Saturday.

"Everything inside of me said, 'I don't want the media to stop me from going.' Then I realized it was going to be a circus, and everybody already knows how I think. My views stand the same.

"As I prayed about it, I thought it was not in the Lord's will for me to testify."

ROADICON "Boston's first liaison to gays dies in obscurity."

ROADICON In One Person: John Irving's new novel about a "sexual suspect."

ROADICON Here's an astounding excerpt from the upcoming book Queer and Present Danger, in which Kate Borstein recounts how one star-crossed encounter with a Swiss banker led to her excommunication from Scientology's hierarchy:

... they kept asking me those kinds of questions for a total of six hours, carefully watching the e-meter for any signs that might reveal my evil deeds. Six hours, no evil deeds. Finally, the guy across from me played his ace. He said I’ve got a choice: I can do three years of hard physical labor, sleeping a maximum of six hours a night on a cold cement floor, eating only table scraps, and talking only with other bad people like me who were relegated to the months-old Rehabilitation Project Force. I could either do that, he said, or I could leave and be excommunicated from the Church of Scientology for the remainder of all my lifetimes ahead of me. The young officer told me that he’s going to live into the future as a hero.

“Without Scientology, you are gonna degrade into a mindless slug of a spiritual being. You’re gonna be a body thetan, attached to the toe of some street bum.”

ROADICON Apparently homophobia, like homosexuality, isn't really a choice.

ROADICON A handy guide to Mittian Mormonism:

If the doctrine itself is a problem, stick around for a while and wait for it to change. If you think it unlikely, for example, that multiple advanced civilizations, descended from Israelite tribes, thrived and warred for hundreds of years in pre-Columbian upstate New York without leaving any archaeological evidence behind, the church now cheerfully entertains the possibility that the hill where Smith “found” his golden plates is one of two named “Cumorah,” with the other one — the one repeatedly referenced in the Book of Mormon — likely standing somewhere in Central America.

The racism underpinning the whole of the original Book of Mormon, which tells the story of a virtuous light- skinned tribe warring with an evil dark- skinned tribe (the “sons of Ham,” cursed with dark skin for eternity by God for their wickedness), was wiped away by decree in 1978. Significant changes to the hallowed “temple endowment” ceremony in 1990 got rid of the bit where women had to promise to be subservient to husbands. Even the “Temple Garments” (yes, the magic underpants) have gradually become easier and easier to conceal under “normal” clothes.

The modern Mormon aesthetic is deeply indebted to Walt Disney, but somehow even more square ...

ROADICON 9/11 defendants say trial is "rigged."

ROADICON Poll at the Guardian wonders: Is pursuing marriage equality a "waste of time"?

Comments

1. Ron Brown already testified against Omaha's anti-discrimination law. It's in Lincoln where he's chosen not to testify.

Posted by: Ronny | May 6, 2012 8:56:22 PM

2. Sarkozy lose BIG problem for Obama ...BEWARE and VOTE!

Posted by: VDUFFORD | May 6, 2012 8:58:16 PM

3. I live in Boston and never heard of Robin MacCormack. Sad, sad story. It took A LOT of guts for someone like him, someone who could have 'passed', and from a tough working class Italian neighborhood like East Boston, to come out and be a pioneer of sorts in 1970. Sounds like he suffered from major depression for many years and lived and died a lonely, isolated life. R.I.P.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 6, 2012 9:30:16 PM

4. Interesting but sad story on Robin MacCormack. Such a handsome man in the photo. So way ahead in his thoughts and beliefs about what those who came before us had to face. A recluse obviously. Sad that the rent checks stopped to the point of eviction in order to find him. His family obviously cared little for him which is even more sad. I hope that he is in a peaceful, loving place.

Posted by: TyInTennn | May 6, 2012 9:30:58 PM

5. My name is Ron Brown and I refuse to stand up and testify for my beliefs because it may jeopardize my career. After all where else can you earn much more than a brain surgeon coaching a childrens game?

Posted by: jack | May 6, 2012 9:55:33 PM

6. re: Sarkozy. Shouldn't "austerity" be used when the economy is good and people don't need as much help, as opposed to times of recession, which only seems to make matters worse?

Posted by: carl | May 6, 2012 10:51:37 PM

7. Scientology, Mormonism, Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Shintoism, Taoism etc etc are all collections of mythological B.S. Imagine the creator, if there is one, being in any way connected to these primitive and childish explainations of the universe.

Posted by: jack | May 6, 2012 11:34:08 PM

8. "The writer's father came, but seemingly never all the way"

Has he consulted a urologist?

(Ah, fun with typos!)

Posted by: bobbyjoe | May 7, 2012 12:13:58 AM

9. Has Towleroad been purchased by Salon.com?

Posted by: D.R.H. | May 7, 2012 6:36:01 AM

10. why would a Sarkozy loss be bad for Obama? You really think Romney is going to cozy up to a socialist like Hollande? c'mon. France is going to have a rude wake-up hangover in a couple of months when they see that the trough is empty and there's no more feed in the bag. Greece is no different. Y'all might wanna hoard a little cash under that mattress of yours every month.

Posted by: NorthoftheBorder | May 7, 2012 12:54:06 PM

11. Why is Towleroad suddenly treating Kate Borstein as newsworthy? Are you running low on Looney Tune profiles?

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | May 7, 2012 12:57:36 PM

12. The article on Mormonism is good. The LDS church has spent much time, money and effort to make people comfortable with a highly redecorated version of its history and doctrines. Many people are unaware of the fact that those clean young men at the door are agents of a polytheistic heretical cult or possibly sect of Gnostic Christianity.

I learned recently about the Sword of Laban and how it affirms the destiny of theocratic control over American society that is shared by Christian Reconstructionists and Resorationists and varied allies.

The Sword was one of the items found in a chamber in Cumorah when Joseph Smith returned the Golden Tablets that were the text for the BOOK OF MORMON. Laban was a warrior hero whose exploits are part of the bloody tale recounted in the BOM. It is a magical weapon.

And this is what Brigham Young said about what was engraved on the blade:"This sword will never be sheathed gain until the Kingdoms of this world become the Kingdom of our God and his Christ."

Emphasize "THIS world" and "OUR God" and there it is, plain and clear.

Posted by: gregory brown | May 7, 2012 2:18:01 PM

13. vduff

how???

sarkozy is conservative and the french tossed him out for a socialist

romney is no socialist so there is no way to even draw such a comparison...now 1 could suggest that conservatives the world over should be quacking in their boots

Posted by: say what | May 7, 2012 3:11:39 PM

14. Funny thing about Ron Brown - God told him to hate gays but then told him not to participate in the "circus" and testify against the hate bill in NC. I don't believe it was God for a minute - Ron Brown decided that he didn't want to put his cushy overpaid 22 year coaching job on the line so he decided to stay home. Somewhere in this Bible I'm sure there is a story about putting self (and money) ahead of your religion - maybe Brown just hasn't read that far yet. And you can bet that the NC politicians who fielded this amendment would have loved all of the publicity that Ron Brown's testimony would have brought them - no way did they tell him that his appearance would be distracting.

Posted by: ThomT | May 8, 2012 9:39:52 AM