2012 Election | 2012 Olympics | Gay Marriage | Gay Pride | Iceland | London | Matthew Mitcham | Nevada | Paul Ryan | South Africa | Sports | Texas

NEWS: A Pansexual Legislator In Texas, A Tormented Androgyne In London, And The Sanctity Of Marriage In Nevada

Matthew-mitcham-float

Towleroad-roadicon After his London disappointment, gay Aussie diver Matthew Mitcham ponders the future:

Mitcham ... has had enough of the incessant pounding and had gone to London pretty much convinced that he and his body couldn't take much more. But then he felt his love of the Olympic Games reignited, so much so that he never wants to miss another one of them. That means either joining the dread ranks of those reporting on his sport, or continuing in it, almost certainly in the shape-shifting role of a springboard diver.

"I've always been a platform specialist who's done springboard either to fill spots or because I was semi-OK at it," Mitcham said. "So I have been in discussion with Chava (Sobrino), my coach, about the possibility of becoming solely a springboard diver. It's certainly a possibility and I'm not really going to take a holiday when I get home. I'm actually going to start working on the strength to become a springboard diver right away because it's going to take a long time to get my thighs as big as (China's) He Chong's."

Towleroad-roadicon Now that she's running unopposed, Texas pol Mary Gonzalez has come out. Not as a lesbian -- she already did that -- but as pansexual:

“During the campaign if I had identified as pansexual, I would have overwhelmed everyone,” she said this week, adding that people don’t know what being pan means. “Now that I’m out of the campaign, I’m completely much more able to define it.”

Although her election focused on helping El Paso’s District 75 citizens gain access to clean drinking water and better educational opportunities, her sexuality was front and center, and something she had to repeatedly address. Mainstream media called her the Latina lesbian lawmaker. The coverage led to negative comments about her dating men in the past and accusations that she was not a “true lesbian,” Gonzalez said.

Towleroad-roadicon In Nevada, US District Chief Judge Robert Jones has set a date to hear arguments on marriage equality. He'll accept lawyers' arguments only -- no testimonies:

Jones ... said he planned to rely on oral and written arguments from attorneys, not courtroom testimony from people who might be offered as experts on the history of discrimination against homosexuals.

"Testimony would be not only useless but an absurd inquiry.

CasterSemenya Towleroad-roadicon Yesterday, the lovely androgyne Caster Semanya, a world-champion runner and now an Olympic silver-medalist, looked a little like a woman throwing a race.

Towleroad-roadicon -- and who would blame her? This three-year-old, marvelously written story from the New Yorker details the terrible torment endured by the then 18-year-old athlete when her dominance in the 800-meters led to a protracted investigation of her gender.

Towleroad-roadicon Steve and Roger have been together 19 years, and their family is very large.

Towleroad-roadicon More on Paul Ryan's homophobia.

Towleroad-roadicon How Olympic skepticism gave way to delight.

Towleroad-roadicon Reykjavik mayor Jon Gnar, at Iceland's iconic pride parade, supports imprisoned Russian punk band Pussy Riot.

Towleroad-roadicon (They're in prison for behaving badly in a church, and could be imprisoned for up to seven years. They'll learn their fates on Friday.)

Towleroad-roadicon Tonight, watch the Perseids

Comments

1. "Mitcham ... has had enough of the incessant pounding"

Oh dear, that's...graphic....

Posted by: Miguel R | Aug 12, 2012 5:59:18 PM

2. The judge in Nevada is a Mormon and a BYU graduate. He openly mocked Walker the Prop8 trial. This is not going to end well, but the appeal should result in more qualified and unbiased judges

Posted by: Steve | Aug 12, 2012 6:59:08 PM

3. How many letters are we up to now, L,G,B,T,Q,I and now P?

Posted by: PDX Guy | Aug 12, 2012 7:32:38 PM

4. Now we're going to have LGBTQIP or is it GLBTQIP? Or how about the GBTTAAEEDTWWTETETETEDFG community?

My, how we're turning into a joke....

Posted by: jason | Aug 12, 2012 7:51:58 PM

5. I'm wondering the same thing about the letters. Do we really need another? It just seems so completely unnecessary.

Posted by: Geoff M | Aug 12, 2012 8:59:38 PM

6. So pansexual is the new word the chickensh#ts are using because they don't have the balls to admit they are gay. They are truly pathetic, weak, dishonest people.

I look forward to a time when more people are adult enough to stand up and be honest about being gay.

Posted by: Icebloo | Aug 12, 2012 10:44:24 PM

7. It's hard to separate facts from assumptions about Mary Gonzalez and her history of labels for herself, even in today's articles about her which still contradict each other.

It appears that she has in the past referred to herself as bisexual, gay (inaccurately) queer and pansexual.
    I understand that the public is easily confused, but she can't really blame the public for the confusion when she's used contradictory labels on herself.
    I don't think anyone owes it to anyone to even USE a label. She could have referred to a female partner without needing to define herself for others.
    If pressed for a label, she could have used a description instead. For example, she could say: "I've been romantically attracted to certain people for various reasons, but gender does not matter to me in a partner."

Posted by: GregV | Aug 13, 2012 12:11:51 AM

8. Can someone explain how "pansexual" is distinct from "bisexual"? There are only two sexes, I'm at a loss to see where the "pan" comes into it.

Posted by: NaughtyLola | Aug 13, 2012 12:25:40 AM

9. "How many letters are we up to now, L,G,B,T,Q,I and now P?"

@PDX GUY: The "letters" in the attempts to be "inclusive" are, of course, otentially limitless. Toronto Pride already celebrates "the LGBTTIQQ2SA community."
    I don't know how long it will be until they add another A (They have one for Allies but not for Asexuals), and (redundant as the L and G and 2S) H for Homosexual and an SGL for Same Gender Loving and a SSA for Same-Sex Attracted. And, of course, a P for Pansexual.

Posted by: GregV | Aug 13, 2012 12:38:43 AM

10. @NaughtyLola:

As I understand it, a woman who is attracted to female-identifying people (whether they're typical women or transwomen) is gay; if she's attracted to male-identifying people (whether cis men or transmen), she is straight; if she is attracted to either/or/both, she is bisexual. Apparently, "pansexual" means she is attracted not only those genders but ALSO to people who might not consider themselves a "him" or a "her."

Posted by: GregV | Aug 13, 2012 12:53:07 AM

11. "orgal and written arguments from attorneys"

Posted by: IlikeORGALsex | Aug 13, 2012 1:51:09 AM

12. WOW..i love it..If u visit dubaido meet here..here is my business site to view and tell me which hotel room i book for u

Posted by: TOP DUBAI GAY | Aug 13, 2012 5:59:52 AM

13. "Mitcham ... has had enough of the incessant pounding ..."

The imagination stirs.

Posted by: Jason 2 | Aug 13, 2012 6:58:22 AM

14. This is why I'm against women being taken seriously when it comes to sexuality. For one thing, women tend to be very confused about themselves. One minute, they're saying one thing. The next, they're saying another.

There are people of all orientations out the - gay, straight and bi. However, a person who changes what they call themselves is simply playing games in my view. It's not good for us and it trivializes us. Why should we men have perceptions of us affected by the silly flip flops of women?

Posted by: jason | Aug 13, 2012 7:21:54 AM

15. I just love all the remarks by the hypocritical, intolerant fagots here that think it's their job to define other people's sexuality.

You dictate what it is to be gay or lesbian, based on mere affectation and politics, and this is what you get, so suck it.

Posted by: WeDontNeedToLieToWin | Aug 13, 2012 10:27:19 AM

16. Can we talk more about Matthew Mitcham's thighs?

Posted by: Mona | Aug 13, 2012 11:40:38 AM

17. I have to agree with one of the 'posters' that gay people should just come out and say they are gay and not use ambuiguous names for the same thing! This seem especially true of actors who play gay characters in movies; they can't wait to let the public know they are str8! Yet they become the subject of many blind columns and years later, come out of the 'closet!' I knoow it is wishful thinking that one day being gay will be a label to be proud of!

Posted by: pscheck2 | Aug 13, 2012 3:33:31 PM