Gay Marriage | Hawaii | Michelangelo Signorile | Neil Abercrombie

Hawaii Governor Laments 'Lonely Voice' of Gay Rep. Who Opposed Marriage Equality: AUDIO

Neil Abercrombie

Michelangelo Signorile interviewed Hawaii Governor Neil Abercrombie this past weekend about the legalization of gay marriage in the Aloha State. Abercrombie enthusiastically welcomed all gay couples to come to the state to celebrate their love and tie the knot, and expressed his pride at Hawaii's role in forwarding equality for gay couples, saying,

Part of the sense of Aloha that we try to live by is the sense that our diversity should define us, not divide us. Persevere in extending our humanity to one another.

When Signorile broached the topic of representative Jo Jordan, the first openly gay or lesbian legislator in the U.S. to vote against gay marriage and who did so on grounds that she didn't believe the religious protections were strong enough, Abercrombie said,

She was a lonely voice in this. I understand it. I disagree with her. She had her reservations about [the bill] sufficient to cause her to vote no. And I'm going to take her at her word. My job now is not to seek retribution or go over the validity of what the motivation was for people’s votes, but to work with them all.

You can listen to Abercrombie and Signorile discussing representative Jordan, along with more clips from the interview, below:

Comments

1. Regrettably, I've seen this kind of rage-revenge gay person before- and it's not restricted by sex, can be either gay male or lesbian. I'm betting she's proud of her no vote, and knows it will get her a place of infamy in the Hawaii roll book. It's time to stop mentioning her- her vote amounted to nothing, and she's has enough attention.

Posted by: Jerry | Nov 18, 2013 8:27:04 PM

2. In the 90s, I honestly thought Hawaii would have had marriage equality by 2003, not 2013. It's a shame it took so long.

But the Bush presidency taught me a lot about people. I'm not so naïve now.

Posted by: Randy | Nov 18, 2013 9:17:39 PM

3. I hope, more than anything, that the gay voters and their supporters toss Jo Jordan out of office, gay or not. Her opposition based on insufficient religious protections is ridiculous and outrageous. She should not hold public office now or ever again in the future.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Nov 18, 2013 9:28:48 PM

4. Why would she be worried about religious protections when they'd like nothing more than to burn her at the steak like the saltwater witch she is!!

Posted by: CC | Nov 18, 2013 9:47:55 PM

5. Stake, typo

Posted by: CC | Nov 18, 2013 9:53:25 PM

6. For just a quick second, I was thinking 'Damn...Willie Nelson looks good in that pic!".....

Posted by: TyInTennn | Nov 18, 2013 10:59:45 PM

7. She just better be glad it passed by a sizable margin and didn't fail by her one inane vote.

Posted by: Kane | Nov 19, 2013 1:02:15 AM

8. This woman is vile. She needs to be shown the exit by Hawaii voters, and she needs to be shunned by the Hawaii gay community for the rest of her life.

Posted by: DC Insider | Nov 19, 2013 9:29:11 AM

9. Well said Jerry.

Posted by: Rowan | Nov 19, 2013 10:34:36 AM

10. When you receive praise from Brian Brown and Tony Perkins, you know your political future is over.

Posted by: bollox | Nov 19, 2013 10:47:44 AM