Bullying | California | Video

California Mayor Suggests Bullied Kids 'Grow A Pair': VIDEO

Mayor

At a May 6 city council meeting, when councilwoman Virginia Gurrola suggested that the city of Porterville, California support a student-led anti-bullying program called "Safe Zones,” the current mayor Cameron Hamilton suggested that bullied kids “grow a pair.”

The Visalia Times-Delta reports:

Designed to provide safe places for children to go when they are being bullied, such ("Safe Zone” bully-free) locations would be designated with a sign or sticker…

With their trusty laptops in front of them, some of the council members did an immediate search on "Safe Zone". As there are several programs with that name around the country, and many of them geared towards the LGBT community, a red flag (or more precisely, a rainbow flag) went up…

Mayor Hamilton was having none of that. "I'm against bullying,” he said, “but I'm getting damn tired of it being used as a mantra for everything, and the ills of the world. All most people just have to grow a pair, and stick up for them damn selves.”

Gurrola reportedly responded, “It's hard to just grow a pair when you're a 10-year-old girl.”

The same report adds:

“Mayor Hamilton is the only person to vote against the item last week. So Safe Zone will be talked about next Tuesday. Action News reached out to the Mayor repeatedly for a comment and did not hear back from him. A few council members declined comment as well.”

Local reporter Jim Reeves says that the city’s anti-gay fervor caused the council to rescind a 2013 mayoral proclamation declaring June as LGBT Pride Month under the previous mayor.

See video AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. well waddaya know? a bully mayor who objects to protecting kids who are bullied. How very unsurprising. Kinda reminds me of the anti-semitism of holocaust deniers.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | May 18, 2014 6:42:51 PM

2. But I'M getting damn tired of gays being used as a mantra for all the ills of the world.

Posted by: SmokingMirror | May 18, 2014 6:52:12 PM

3. I kinda agree with him, though for a different reason. Struggle enhances the coping skills of people later in life. I was bullied and teased throughout school, k-12, but I came out the better for it (no pun intended). Whenever something 'bad' happens to me, it really doesn't bother me, since it's nothing compared to the torment of my younger days. There are plenty of success stories of children who were bullied that grew up to be such successful people, I'm a regional executive for a telecommunications company with a doctorate, and there are very similar stories for all of my friends who were likewise bullied too.

Plus, on a less personal note, 'Bully Free Zones' in my day, were just as effective as 'Drug Free Zones'. Zero tolerance policies did not prevent either...

Posted by: Vera | May 18, 2014 6:55:00 PM

4. Bullied kids are told they have to toughen up, and then when they hit back they're treated as criminals. Mayor Hamilton isn't suggesting anything new. It's all just part of the vicious cycle which favors bullies.

Posted by: Ann Mason | May 18, 2014 6:56:01 PM

5. City of Porterville
    291 North Main Street
    (559)782-7499

Posted by: Craig | May 18, 2014 7:04:48 PM

6. cameronhamilton@portervilleca.gov

Posted by: Craig | May 18, 2014 7:14:04 PM

7. @VERA, is this your idea of trolling performance art?

Do you have any empirical evidence to support your so-called anecdotal evidence? - "[Bullying] enhances the coping skills of people later in life... There are plenty of success stories of children who were bullied that grew up to be such successful people... and there are very similar stories for all of my friends who were likewise bullied too."
    To anyone interested in debunking Vera's claims, just find a credible source that articulates the effects of prejudice; I recommend searching in the Social Science domain.

Are you being deliberately narcissistic, Vera? Is this your warped sense of the golden rule? What's good for you is good for everyone else too? (assuming you're not a lying, Machiavellian troll). - "I was bullied and teased throughout school... but I came out the better for it. Whenever something 'bad' happens to me, it really doesn't bother me... I'm a regional executive for a telecommunications company with a doctorate."

Remember, you are NOTHING but an anonymous, disembodied voice out in the aether, and if your discourse reads as contrarian tryory, you will be treated as a purveyor of such. And no amount of chanting "I'm a proud proud gay" will make any difference as any troll with 10 minutes experience can figure that trick out.

Posted by: Fox | May 18, 2014 7:20:16 PM

8. @ Vera - for the bullied children who kill themselves, there is no later in life.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | May 18, 2014 7:20:33 PM

9. This guy has been attacking gay people for AGES in that city as a city council member and now as a mayor. There's a sizeable LGBT population there and in neighboring areas....how and why they let him get away with it is fascinating

Posted by: Jordan | May 18, 2014 7:25:05 PM

10. Moreover, to anyone who cares to further debunk Vera's assertions, look up data supporting the effectiveness of Safe Zones and other Gay-Straight Alliances.

Posted by: Fox | May 18, 2014 7:25:37 PM

11. When you are attacked in school and you fight back, the f'ed teachers, admins, and parents if they get involved refer to it as "a fight" implying mutual combat. This is particularly true when a black kid attacks a white kid, you can count on admins and media to refer to it as "a fight" when in fact it was a brutal assault.

I was attacked and robbed in the stairwell of a public Junior High School in Maryland. I went to the principal's office and demanded that the police be called, because a crime had been committed. They didn't call the police. They called my parents and the parents of the kid who mugged me, and before it was all said and done my sole accommodation was that I didn't have to return to the school that integration had so greatly improved. Shut up Derrick, you know it's true.

Somehow, in all the previous years in private school I had never been attacked and robbed. But public school changed that.

This is why we need vouchers, so that every kid can choose to attend schools that don't tolerate ghetto behavior.

Posted by: Enchantra | May 18, 2014 7:49:49 PM

12. Vera, is it? For every "success" story like yours (and I suppose we'll have to take your word for it since you provide no concrete evidence), there's a kid in the ground who didn't make it because he or she was bullied. So if a Safe Zone saves just ONE kid, then it's worth it. So why don't you take your precious doctorate and telecommunications executive position and put your money where your pen is and write a check for your local Safe Zone.

Posted by: Sean Maloney | May 18, 2014 8:04:07 PM

13. @ENCHANTRA

Reading your words is like looking at a spider on LSD try to make a web. Sure maybe a few lines look ok, but the 'web' is mostly empty space and a lotta warps and tangles.

If any part of that story was true, and I don't really believe it was, you could have undermined the school and gone to the police yourself. You don't need to rely on the school or your parents to call the police for you, you know.

Is Derrick your imaginary friend? I don't see one in this conversation. Do you think another commenter follows you around?

Posted by: Anon | May 18, 2014 8:05:09 PM

14. Hey Sean Maloney,

LOVED this, - "So why don't you take your precious doctorate and telecommunications executive position and put your money where your pen is and write a check for your local Safe Zone."
    Unfortunately I don't think Vera is legit. They're most likely just a troll who assumed an identity to try to make a spin. That's all.

Posted by: Fox | May 18, 2014 8:11:06 PM

15. Hey Sean Maloney,

Posted by: Fox | May 18, 2014 8:12:18 PM

16. Anon - Derrick is a towleroad regular who lives in Philadelphia. If you don't like my post, feel free to KMA.

Posted by: Enchantra | May 18, 2014 8:19:44 PM

17. Anon - Derrick is a towleroad regular who lives in Philadelphia. If you don't like my post, feel free to KMA.

Posted by: Enchantra | May 18, 2014 8:19:45 PM

18. @ENCHANTRA

So apparently you think there is another commenter who's sitting poised at the keyboard, waiting for you, to say something. Sad.

It's not that I "don't like" your post, I think you're schizophrenic. I can get angry at able minded trolls, but not the mentally ill.

All I can do is feel sorry for you, because if you're not schizophrenic, you read like one. Which is somehow worse, because, why can't you articulate yourself properly? Why does the reader have to try and tease out your meaning?

I know the meds do nothing for the negative symptoms, and there are side effects, but you might be more productive with a little typical or atypical anti-psychotic. Just sayin'...

Posted by: Anon | May 18, 2014 8:29:58 PM

19. @ENCHANTRA

Posted by: Anon | May 18, 2014 8:30:15 PM

20. it is the attitude of people like this mayor that lead kids to bring guns to school and shoot somebody

Posted by: walter | May 18, 2014 8:31:39 PM

21. it is the attitude of people like this mayor that lead kids to bring guns to school and shoot somebody

Posted by: walter | May 18, 2014 8:32:28 PM

22. This, straight from the mouth of a bully.

Posted by: ToThePoint | May 18, 2014 9:09:46 PM

23. Anon - I am not schizophrenic. I am a misanthrope and a curmudgeon. I am also a fascist.

Posted by: Enchantra | May 18, 2014 9:31:50 PM

24. Ok, then. Baseball bats, tire irons, ballpeen hammers and guns. That'll stop the bullying like **SNAP** that!!

Posted by: jamal49 | May 18, 2014 10:25:54 PM

25. If TR had the comment system such an otherwise excellent blog deserves, we wouldn't have to put up with possible fake IDed commenters.

Posted by: emjayay | May 18, 2014 10:37:25 PM