California | Earthquake | News | Video

Drone Captures Aftermath Of Napa's 6.0 Earthquake: VIDEO

Quake

The 6.0 quake that hit Napa County, California early Sunday morning was the largest to hit the bay area in 25 years. The U.S.G.S. has estimated the damage from the earthquake may be as much as $1 billion. Scores of people were also injured and several historical buildings were damaged.

Watch footage captured by a drone of some of the damage done by the quake, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Have the fundies gotten around to blaming it on the gays yet?

Posted by: Frank | Aug 26, 2014 2:20:38 PM

2. I'm just grateful it wasn't worse. And no deaths either. That was surprising. One thing still makes me feel guilty for leaving Cali. Knowing my family still out there having to go through the quakes. I worry about the big one all the time.

Posted by: MickyFlip | Aug 26, 2014 2:47:43 PM

3. Considering the damage the Loma Prieta earthquake (which was a 7.1 magnitude quake) did to the Bay Area in '89 , I'm a bit surprised that this much damage was able to be done. I figured Napa would have retrofitted its buildings and infrastructure to handle sizable. earthquakes.

Posted by: Tyler | Aug 26, 2014 2:49:20 PM

4. Tyler, when they retrofit buildings they don't usually also remove or strengthen the facades. They're trying to prevent collapse, so they reinforce the structure. For many old buildings, especially those of historic interest, making them truly earthquake safe would require removing most of what makes them interesting. Replacing all that stuff would be prohibitively expensive.

Posted by: BobN | Aug 26, 2014 3:03:00 PM

5. All of Napa sits on alluvial soils, which are notorious for having the most damage whenever an earthquake hits. Alluvial soils turn jelly-like, which makes the shaking even more extreme than it would be if buildings are on a 'rockier' substrate.

Posted by: BillinSonoma | Aug 26, 2014 3:30:43 PM

6. Gotta tell you guys, my partner and I live in a three-story old Victorian house atop Russian hill and both sound sleepers. The Prieta quake hit when I was 7 years old and I remember the "after" fear for weeks. When this Napa quake hit I sat up in bed so quickly it even surprised me and I kept waiting ... and waiting ... for it to stop. We sleep in a loft bed some 6 feet off the floor that is solid and built into three walls and with our feet dangling over the edge my partner and I watched the room sway back and forth. We was poised and ready to run - where I don't know. When it was over we climbed down from the bed and walked around the house looking for any damage. Luckily there was none. I can only attribute that to the mammoth boulder that Russian Hill sits atop of. Will we be so lucky the next time?

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Aug 26, 2014 10:17:22 PM