Gay Adoption | Gay Rights | India | News

Indian Government Moves to Axe Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Couples

India's Cabinet has decided to bar same-sex couples in the country from adopting children, Live Mint reports:

IndiaThe cabinet took the decision on Wednesday while considering amendments to the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2000, a government official said. However, the draft Bill, which also covers rehabilitation and adoption of children, does not mention disallowing same-sex couples from adopting.

The current law allows unmarried men and women above the age of 30 to adopt. Single LGBT Indians are not specifically barred from adopting, but whether the cabinet decision will change this will become clear whenever the Bill is tabled in Parliament.

The Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA) guidelines prevent foreigners in same-sex relationships from adopting children in India.

Last year, India's Supreme Court reinstated a colonial-era ban on homosexuality with the Indian government saying last month they have no plans to amend or change the law until it is reviewed again by the high court.

Comments

1. I wouldn't even bother to fly over that country to take a dump.

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Aug 11, 2014 9:41:40 AM

2. After the landslide victory by religious zealots, it was to be expected that a crackdown on the gays would begin. How far it will go is anyone's guess. Things do not look good for our Indian brothers and sisters.

Posted by: Raul8 | Aug 11, 2014 10:09:41 AM

3. Do you ever call a call-center?

Is it based in India?

Call the company who is using that Indian call-center and tell them you will be closing your account with them until they stop using Indian call-centers.

India needs to be financially punished for its bigotry.

Posted by: MaryM | Aug 11, 2014 10:19:11 AM

4. LOL at MaryM. I suppose you think we should boycott all 7-Elevens too?

Posted by: crispy | Aug 11, 2014 10:38:26 AM

5. I have traveled to India many times for business. The depths of poverty in India are almost incomprehensible to Westerners and the streets of Delhi and Mumbai are filled with very, very young orphaned children. It is staggering to think that the government there would rather leave even one small child on the street rather than let that child be adopted by a willing couple.

Posted by: Chadd | Aug 11, 2014 12:09:34 PM

6. I'm a f***ing idiot and I never have anything but pathetic one-liners to contribute.

My streams of consciousness are usually no more than 16 words, tops. But it doesn't stop me from trying to belittle others because it makes me feel BIG.

I don't visit the comments to add something of my own, I do it to antagonize others for their comments.

Posted by: CRISPY | Aug 11, 2014 3:14:12 PM

7. I am a little worried. I don't want to get out of my country.if I did get out I don't know what descriminations I have to face and how could I get a job and how could I leave without my family.I couldn't live peacefully in this country after sec377

Posted by: raj | Aug 13, 2014 8:09:40 AM