Eric McCormack | Television

Eric McCormack Dogged by Will Truman

MccormackEric McCormack tells The Observer he can't get an acting job because he's been typecast as gay:

"I have this big pink cross to bear. I absolutely loved playing Will. There was nothing hard about it. It was wonderful. But the only downside is the aftermath. I meet all these film executives who tell me how much they loved Will and Grace and say they never missed an episode. Then they say, "so what can we do for you?" What they could do for me is hire me to play someone else."

A big pink cross to bear and millions of dollars in residuals.

Comments

1. What an creep ... he never did a real love scene like Jake and Heath did ... and they seem to have NO PROBLEM finding work.

Maybe the problem is was lucky and found a job with great performers playing great characters like GRACE and JACK and KAREN.

Those three actors could never have been replaced ... but honestly who would have cared if half way through the run of W&G if WILL had been recast ...

The problem is not his boo hoo pink cross ... the problem is his lack of talent.

Posted by: rjp3 | Aug 28, 2006 4:53:55 PM

2. Let me get out my grand piano! Poor thing. Perhaps he should exercise his acting skills since playing Will was so easy.

Posted by: Rikki Lee | Aug 28, 2006 4:54:25 PM

3. oh shut it people. some people act because it's what they love to do. If he really can't get any roles except to play "will," then that does suck for him.

Amazingly, some people do things because they like them, and money doesn't make it easy to stop doing it if you love it.

And to RJP, only Jack and Karen couldn't have been replaced. Grace and will were simple characters, but having seen some of his other work, he's better than Debra.

He's been nothing but supportive of the community and now he's just letting it be known that he'd like to play something else.

damn! bitter queens.

Posted by: chris | Aug 28, 2006 5:03:39 PM

4. He can't get work because he really can't act. It's as simple as that.

Posted by: Anon | Aug 28, 2006 5:10:28 PM

5. Maybe the concept of work as one of our defining characteristics just hasn't registered yet. Or maybe it's just automatic to be condescending in gay culture.

Posted by: psmike | Aug 28, 2006 5:11:13 PM

6. He's not the most likeable guy in interviews. He's got such a chip on his shoulder all the time. Maybe he should try being a little more friendly and less of an arrogant prick and those execs would be more receptive.

But personally I'm all for him not working anymore.

Posted by: Andy | Aug 28, 2006 5:22:48 PM

7. Geez CHRIS, take a pill!

McCormack has done enough press for his other work during the Will & Grace run that he knows very well better than to be so whiney about not having a job and then trotting out the gay card to add insult to injury.

Very few actors from long running network shows get their next job immediately after their run. He hasn’t demonstrated during the Will & Grace run that he was capable of much more and so he's being type cast. If that's a problem, then get better management.

I've been gay my whole stinkin' life and been turned away from jobs with an angry glare and a curled lip. You don't see me thowin' a pitty party for myself.

So boo hoo McCormack. Shut up and do a couple of indie films to show off your acting repertoire.

Posted by: bd | Aug 28, 2006 5:31:06 PM

8. hmmmm....so some people here think he sucks as an actor and some think he's a good actor but not great. He's an arrogant prick or not very likeable. So the thing is, can any of you say that after having played a "simple" character (that is perhaps maybe nothing like you as a person) for 8 years and have the entire country come to recognize you AS that character, had to go out and now find someone to hire you to play something different when all anyone associates you with is a gay guy you played on TV? I don't think so. Doesn't sound to me like he's bitter about it, but if what he likes to do is act and can't get work because of the typecast, then that would suck and he has the right to say so. Certainly doesn't seem to me like he's dissing "Will" or the gay community or anything like that. Seems to me like he's actually owed some gratitude for brining a gay character to life and playing him for as long as he did, whether you liked him or not. So stop being so sensitive. Geez!

Posted by: ric | Aug 28, 2006 5:38:23 PM

9. Stand Ric. Exactly. Couldn't have said it better. It always disappoints me when I see gay men criticize and judge others, seemingly taking offense in a non-personal matter. Sad...

Posted by: Cory | Aug 28, 2006 5:42:24 PM

10. Well I think the problem is with his "big pink cross" comment. Gay men are going to find it hard to empathize with a straight guy complaining about homophobia. But that wasn't my problem. I just think he seems like a jerk in interviews. Maybe he's not, but that's how I feel about him when I see him outside of W&G. And how does he know it's typecasting, anyway? Isn't it hard for all actors to find work?

Posted by: Andy | Aug 28, 2006 5:51:42 PM

11. Ric is right on target here.

Posted by: James | Aug 28, 2006 5:51:58 PM

12. He's also not the first sitcom star to find problems with typecasting...see the cast of Friends, minus Lisa Kudrow of course. It has nothing to do with playing gay, it has to do with playing the same character for 8 years.

Posted by: David | Aug 28, 2006 5:55:23 PM

13. I'm really not annoyed with eric's remarks.All he did was point out the difficulty in getting roles.He does'nt regret doing Will truman and he recognizes the importance of that show.If you want a homophobic remark,try Willie Garson who remarked a long time ago that playing Carrie's gay best friend in "Sex in the City" was a mistake and that he can't get roles or ladies because of that.

Now,I've seen eric's work and he's not a very good actor.And he's not very good looking.Even on the show,he was the least accomplished.debra managed to outshine him every time.

Posted by: Nellie | Aug 28, 2006 5:59:25 PM

14. I think David is more on target. Think about Bob Saget or Elizabeth Berkeley or even most of Seinfeld's cast. It's just tough for audiences (or TV execs) to move beyond a familiar sitcom character. I bet Sean Hayes finds work before Mr. McCorrmick.

Posted by: GBM | Aug 28, 2006 6:29:37 PM

15. he does have a big pink cross to bear as the lead star of one of televisions most success comedies about an openly gay man,. it is similiar to professionals who are openly gay in corporate america and have "gay crosses to bear" whenever a company wishes to market to gays. They pull in the companies "openly gay guy in the office" and ask him questions. I think his comment is probably taken out of context of a larger conversation and probably edited down. In my knowledge of the man's commitment to the community, he helped many GBLT organizations raise millions of dollars through public appearances and wasnt self-righteous then.

Posted by: doug | Aug 28, 2006 6:35:36 PM

16. Yes, it is hard for actors to find work (especially if you're not some big name) but I don't think it's about him not being able to find work, it really is him just gripping about the fact that he can't get anyone to see him as anything other than "Will". It's a legitimate complaint. As for the pink cross statement, yeah it sounds like he's being a bit of a baby and I don't really feel sorry for him, but looking at it from an actors point of view, wanting to work (and seeing as how he's kind of a big name now) it really has to suck that he can't find any. That's all.

Posted by: ric | Aug 28, 2006 6:40:08 PM

17. Instead of hiring Mr. McCormack, who by all accounts I've heard is a nice guy in person who makes the prefunctory number of appearances at the appropriate charities around town, perhaps an openly gay or lesbian actor could get hired. Mr. McCormack was on television longer than some of the most well known icons in television history, for which he was duly compensated. Many actors who ended their run in the public eye with far leaner wallets have gone on to start or support countless theatres, schools and charities. There are thousands of actors who have no insurance, no nest egg, to see them comfortably through the rest of their lives. We would be led to believe that the worst sin in Hollywood is NOT to never have the opportunity to be discovered and work at all, but to disappear from the public eye and be forgotten. Perhaps he should talk to a few former Olympic athletes whose star briefly ascended, then vanished.

Posted by: circuitmouse | Aug 28, 2006 6:52:20 PM

18. Ummm, wasn't he on Broadway???? He's not that talented, so he should shut the F up.

Posted by: dc-20008 | Aug 28, 2006 8:24:06 PM

19. Don't you have to be able to act to get acting jobs.

Personally, I never watched "Will and Grace" because of Will and Grace. I watched it for Karen and Jack. Will & Grace were boring....

Posted by: mike/ | Aug 28, 2006 9:16:30 PM

20. I never found Messing nor McCormack to be all that and a bag of chips. I had never seen the show until about three years into its run when an office mate asked if I watched it. Then I did. I fell in love with Karen and Jack but always found myslf going to the batroom or fixing a snack when the spot light was on Will whining and being anal or Grace being just--- nothing. Talk about staid characters. As far as Mr. McCormack's personality is concerned, when I first saw him in an interview (and subsequent ones) he seemed like an arrogant ass who, when other cast members were present, constantly tried to upstage them with a not so sharp wit. Poor thingy. And then I thought, "Yeah-- if he's straight I'm going straight to hell.." Who really cares what he is, though? His work should speak for itself.

Posted by: John | Aug 28, 2006 9:54:06 PM

21. He's just voicing his opinion on the world of acting.

But, he has to remember that even though he is a more visable actor, he isn't the only one out there.

There are plenty of non-working actors (only 10% of SAG members work full-time) who want to work, so he should call himself lucky that he can find other jobs (even if they're not as "high profile" as W&G).

Posted by: Steven. | Aug 28, 2006 10:29:57 PM

22. Forget that he's not even a very good actor. A briefment look at his work pre W&G is a testatment to why he's not getting offers.

Posted by: Cap | Aug 28, 2006 10:47:05 PM

23. AGREE..I never thought he could act & still don't.he was miscast as Will.but that's history

Posted by: TC | Aug 28, 2006 11:17:47 PM

24. BTW....one more thiing...he was just in play at the Lucille Lortel a couple of months ago(down the block from me) & I didn't go because HE was in it!

Posted by: TC | Aug 28, 2006 11:23:32 PM

25. PINK CROSS??? Where did that come from?

And it wasn't even HARD.