Dick Cheney | Gay Marriage | Gay Parents | Mary Cheney | News

BigGayDeal.com

Groups React to Mary Cheney Baby Announcement

Twomommies2_1A few Conservative groups have expressed their dismay at the Mary Cheney baby announcement:

Janice Crouse of Concerned Women for America (if you remember, these are the wingnuts that raised a stink over the Armistead Maupin Starbucks coffee cup): "It's very disappointing that a celebrity couple like this would deliberately bring into the world a child that will never have a father. They are encouraging people who don't have the advantages they have." Added Crouse: "Not only is she doing a disservice to her child, she's voiding all the effort her father put into the Bush administration."

All that bigotry gone to waste!

Carrie Gordon Earll, a policy analyst for the conservative Christian ministry Focus on the Family: "Just because you can conceive a child outside a one-woman, one-man marriage doesn't mean it's a good idea. Love can't replace a mother and a father."

Gay rights groups had their say as well:

Family Pride executive director Jennifer Chrisler: "The irony is that the grandfather of this child is part of a party and an administration that has relentlessly attacked gay and lesbian families...Unless they move to a handful of less restrictive states, Heather will never be able to have a legal relationship with her child. [The couple] will quickly face the reality that no matter how loved their child will be. ... he or she will never have the same protections that other children born to heterosexual couples enjoy. Grandfather Cheney will no doubt face a lifetime of sleepless nights as he reflects on the irreparable harm he and his administration have done to the millions of American gay and lesbian parents and their children."

HRC's Joe Solmonese lauded the announcement: "Mary and Heather's decision to have a child is an example that families in America come in all different shapes and sizes. The bottom line is that a family is made up of love and commitment."

You may have missed...
Mary Cheney said to be Pregnant [tr]
Mary Cheney: John Kerry a "Son of a Bitch", Edwards "A Total Slime" [tr]

Comments

1. Fascinating insight into the conservative mind. I'd be willing to enlighten anyone who's interested to know more (since I'm a former conservative myself).

I just love this quote: "Love cannot take the place of a mother and a father."

Yeah having the physical presence of a female and a male under one roof trumps any love that a homosexual might hope to provide. Like there are SOOOOO many healthy well adjusted homes with mothers and fathers under the same roof. No abuse, no shouting, no divorce, no mothers using the children to fight the father and vice versa.

Ahhh, the conservative mind... living a rosey fantasy life set in the 1950's. Xanax sure must be nice.

Posted by: mark m | Dec 7, 2006 9:49:17 AM

2. Why are the people running HRC such pussies?

Posted by: chrisb | Dec 7, 2006 9:56:13 AM

3. "Love can't replace a mother and a father."

Did Focus on the Family just acknowledge that gay couples are capable of truly loving each other?

Posted by: sam | Dec 7, 2006 9:59:37 AM

4. I don't know why anyone is so worried about Heather's rights. The Cheneys are a very priviledged family. I'm sure that Mary's child will be born into a veritable ocean of legal documents drawn up by the Cheney family lawyers to protect Heather's rights as an adoptive parent. When you have lots of money, you don't need civil rights. You can buy all the protection you want.

The sad thing is that there are many same-sex households just like theirs who can't afford a phalanx of attorneys to stand up for their civil liberties. They will continue to suffer. The success or failure of Baby Cheney-Coe won't make a damn bit of difference.

Posted by: Mona | Dec 7, 2006 10:07:06 AM

5. Why does Jennifer Chrisler pin all the ironies on Dick Cheney? Mary belongs to the same party and administration "that has relentlessly attacked gay and lesbian families." I think Dick's policies and influence have been the cause of most of the evils committed by this administration, but to his credit I remember him saying more against the marriage ammendment than Mary ever did:

W. even took Mary aside to say that he understood if she wanted to speak out against the proposed ammendment, but she thought loyalty and solidarity was more important at the time. So Mary Cheney is more homophobic than grandfather Dick? Now that's a puzzle the little tike can mull over.

Posted by: GBM | Dec 7, 2006 10:07:10 AM

6. If John Kerry is a son of a bitch, according to dear Mary, her future child is a fricking bastard.

Posted by: Rey | Dec 7, 2006 10:09:52 AM

7. I'm sorry, but how can these two have a conscious as well? Wasn't it Mary Cheney who mouthed "fuck you, asshole" to John Kerry's running mate for V.P. Senator Edwards during the V.P. debate when he brought up Cheney's attack on gay marriage? How can Heather, Mary's "partner", feel comfortable bringing in a child when her "father-in-law" and "good man" Bush'ie have campainged to make them second-class citizens. I feel sorry for the child, who has to be raised in such a horrible family. Ooops, I forgot, I suppose the millions and millions of dollars they have in Haliburton and oil investments will cushion the blow.

Posted by: Cory | Dec 7, 2006 10:20:57 AM

8. Joe Solomnese is a moron. The Emperor of the HRC Empire has no clothes—or sense.

Calling such people wingnuts is like calling a cobra a licorice whip.

Posted by: Leland | Dec 7, 2006 10:20:58 AM

9. "Love can't replace a mother and a father."

Aside from bashing gay parents - which is insulting and hateful enough - that is a smack in the face to the MAJORITY of American families: single parents, blended families, and scores of other non-traditional households.

Seriously, fuck the conservative mindset. It's so out of touch. I'm waiting for all the jackass Republican women to snap to their senses and realize the harm their party is doing to their social progression.

Posted by: the other jeff | Dec 7, 2006 10:22:42 AM

10. I wonder how many pups will be in her first litter.

Posted by: Crixi Van Cheek | Dec 7, 2006 10:23:16 AM

11. CHRISB: that's a damn good question. All these righteous attacks from the far right groups are being dealt with silence or "whisper" defenses from the HRC and similar parties. It's getting frustrating. If I were involved, I'd be right there defending the sanctity of gay love and equal rights.

Posted by: Cory | Dec 7, 2006 10:24:15 AM

12. I'm not sure how I feel about this news. But what I do know is this: It's none of my business....

Posted by: Roy | Dec 7, 2006 10:38:59 AM

13. Crixi:
    You rock. I laughed so hard that I saw stars.

Posted by: Blair | Dec 7, 2006 10:39:45 AM

14. I don't know why the right wing is all concerned about the baby being brought in the world without a father. Have you SEEN these women? The baby's going to have two fathers.

Posted by: Jonathan | Dec 7, 2006 11:02:10 AM

15. Perhaps it is true that love cannot take the place of a mother and a father. But if so, it is also true that a mother and a father cannot take the place of love. Kids never get to choose their parents, but I'd take the love any day.

Posted by: Jeff in Deserto | Dec 7, 2006 11:15:00 AM

16. HRC-I love their logo. But send your money to Lambda Legal where it will do some good!

Posted by: tommy | Dec 7, 2006 11:37:16 AM

17. I'm with Sam...did gay parents just get upgraded on the religious-right-O-meter?

Although it's pie in the sky to think of ranking above heterosexual stay-out-of-mommy-and-daddy's-meth-lab parents, maybe, if we play our cards right, just maybe we can outrank heterosexual molestor parents. Now if they're Christians, we're screwed and will never make it above single moms (!). Sigh...But a man can dream, can't he?

Posted by: GBM | Dec 7, 2006 11:45:58 AM

18. Sam raises a good point. Fundamentalists regard homosexual relationships as mentally imbalanced lust-filled orgies (a la Ted Haggard perhaps?). That is, gay men and women are letting lust get the better of themselves. So to admit "love" in this situation is almost a fatal mistake, if anyone notices. DC was never really a darling of the fundamentalists, but both Bush and Cheney are first and foremost oil industry reps. Bush simply thinks that his father lost re-election by not listening enough to Christian conservatives and set Karl Rove to keep them happy. On a personal level he thinks his going sober was the result of being "born again", though as a conservative Methodist and not a Baptist. It's all a bit more cynical than we'd like to admit.

Posted by: Anon | Dec 7, 2006 12:18:21 PM

19. I have been blessedly free of the scourge of bigotry in my family, all except for my paternal grandmother, who is now 90. Over the years, we have been for most part spared her commentary on "the other," but over this past Thanksgiving she revealed the unholy depth of her ignorance and fear. No need to go into the details (they are very ugly), but suffice it to say that I learned something: Bigotry is a blind spot. Otherwise intelligent people can harbor views that seem entirely incongruous with their views on virtually everything else, and they are utterly senseless. For many who suffer under these delusions, I think there is, unfortunately, little chance of any light getting in. Enlightenment on a social and political level is inevitable, but dependent on time and evolution.

Posted by: Rascal | Dec 7, 2006 1:28:59 PM

20. "Love can't replace a mother and a father."

So, according to their logic, it doesn't take love to raise a baby, but a mother and father? Who knew that it was that easy to be good parents! All you have to be is the right gender...

Posted by: Mike | Dec 7, 2006 4:18:08 PM

21. I couldn't despise Mary Cheney more if she took a shit in the middle of my living room rug.

Posted by: JOE 2 | Dec 7, 2006 8:20:24 PM

22. i don't think dick cheney will have any sleepless nights at all. that would require a conscience. as for documents protecting heather's adoptive parent rights. she should watch her back. if the cheneys get tired of her, she will be out before she realizes that is the door hitting her backside.

Posted by: john | Dec 7, 2006 8:46:38 PM

23. Great! These two women made their stinky bed, now they can lie in it. Everybody hates them? Too damn bad.

Posted by: Ed | Dec 8, 2006 10:26:00 AM

24. I've come to the conclusion that the HRC has been taken over by right-wing gays who are doing their best to undermine the organization. Unfortunately, HRC has become drunk off the rich donors "it needs" and allow itself to be a eunuch version of what it could be.

Posted by: Tread | Dec 8, 2006 6:05:56 PM

25. Who really gives a hoot about Mary Cheney, (another lost child) and a waste of space. I really want to hear some dirt of Barbra's kid or Cher's kid. It would make better press. A lot more exciting. Liza used her Mothers' fame, while the other two used their collective mothers' fame to pull the same thing off. Oh, for the money let's get real.

Posted by: Patrick Eagan | Dec 9, 2006 3:06:47 AM