Jamaica | Music | News

BigGayDeal.com

As Buju Banton Signs Gay Reggae Act, Beenie Man Tosses it Off

Reggae star Buju Banton has reportedly agreed to sign the "reggae compassionate act" created by UK gay activist group Outrage!, which declares that musicians "respect and uphold the rights of all individuals to live without fear of hatred and violence due to their religion, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity or gender," says that "there’s no space in the music community for hatred and prejudice, including no place for racism, violence, sexism or homophobia" and promises that the musician "not make statements or perform songs that incite hatred or violence against anyone from any community."

BujubantonThe Guardian reports: "Banton has been a focus for gay activists since the release of 'Boom Bye Bye', in which he sings about shooting gay men in the head, pouring acid on them and burning them alive. He has previously said he wrote 'Boom Bye Bye' as a teenager and is not homophobic, but he was filmed performing 'Boom Bye Bye' at a concert in Miami last year."

The agreement, part of the Stop Murder Music campaign spearheaded by activist Peter Tatchell, is the result of years of work trying to stop dancehall singers from using lyrics that promote violence against gays. In June, it was reported that Sizzla, Capleton, and Beenie Man, three of reggae's biggest players, had signed the agreement.

However, on Friday, while declaring that violence against gays is wrong, Beenie Man denied he ever signed the deal, according to the Jamaica Observer.

Said Beenie Man: "We don't need it," he told reporters shortly after closing Red Stripe Reggae Sumfest's Dancehall Night at approximately 7:15 Friday morning. "We don't need to kill dem. We just need fi tell the people dem the right ting because I not supporting a gay lifestyle because it's not wholesome to me...It's a ting from the promoters of Europe. They are getting so much fight from the Christian and "g" organisation and everything...I do music. Dancehall mi do, I can't promise nuh man dat. And mi neva sign it, yuh hear sah." (sic)

You may have missed...
Reggae Stars Renounce Homophobia, Condemn Anti-gay Violence [tr]

Comments

1. Ahhhh, the patois of hatred...

Posted by: Becks07 | Jul 23, 2007 10:52:27 AM

2. Gross. Just... yuck.

Posted by: Brian | Jul 23, 2007 11:03:17 AM

3. How cute...and the patois is so amusing when spelled out for us:

I G N O R A N T

If you keep breeding dogs with vicious behavior, you get a mean breed of dog...eventually you can breed out the unwanted behavior, and proper training goes a long way, but mostly, culling is used to eliminate the undesirable characteristics.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Jul 23, 2007 11:18:33 AM

4. I put a curse (root-workin') on Jamaica a few months ago, "until you do right by me (batty boy, an older but still cute one)everything you try to do is gonna' go wrong."

Seriously, the violence against Jamaican gay people should be an international issue. It appears to be even more deadly than the anti-gay violence in Russia, the Baltics and Eastern Europe.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 23, 2007 11:50:20 AM

5. English is a beautiful and rich language. Too bad this monster can't speak it. He can keep his hateful patois and shove an Ebonics dictionary right up his ass for good measure.

Posted by: Jonathon | Jul 23, 2007 12:03:46 PM

6. "Me only have one ambition, y'know. I only have one thing I really like to see happen. I like to see mankind live together - black, white, Chinese, EVERYONE - that's all... Over come the devils with a thing called love"

Bob Marley

Posted by: Giovanni | Jul 23, 2007 12:16:23 PM

7. I was at Heathrow airport last monday on a stop-over... I was buying a sandwich and was standing behind a man with dreadlocks. The girl at the register got visibly nervous and finally conjured up the ovum to ask him for an autograph... I inch around to see who it was, Lenny Kravits or Yannick Noah perhaps... But I didnt recognize him at all... so i just assumed since I was in London it was probably just some brit pop star. He was very gracious with her and even posed for a pic on her cell phone. After he left I asked her who the gent was... She said (still flustered), "My god, that was Beenie Man." I rolled my eyes and said, "Oh, I dont care for your Beenie Man." She smirked and I then proceeded to pay the equivelent to $10 for a sickly egg and watercress sandwich, damn exchange rate.

Posted by: Chux | Jul 23, 2007 12:39:38 PM

8. Jamaica is the most homophobic country I have ever heard of. I travel a lot and I have heard too many instances of hate crimes, violence and bigotry aimed at our community from Jamaicans. and...they are proud of it!!!! F*** em all! Our community should do nothing to help provide $ to their country. NOTHING!

Posted by: Joe in the OC | Jul 23, 2007 3:16:33 PM

9. "Our community should do nothing to help provide $ to their country. NOTHING!"

Unless of course you happen to care about the Jamaican members of our community and in that case you could donate to J-Flag, Jamaica's only gay rights organization.

Posted by: Giovanni | Jul 23, 2007 6:19:12 PM

10. I'm really disappointed in Beenie Man but Jonathon, what racist sh*t are you spouting?

Posted by: gwyneth cornrow | Jul 24, 2007 12:34:34 AM

11. What an utterly illiterate dumbfuck.

Posted by: Tom | Jul 24, 2007 2:53:17 AM

12. Shame on you ignorant twats for your contempt of patois.

Especially you, Johnathan.

Posted by: FanGirlHater | Jul 24, 2007 3:38:21 AM

13. Janet Jackson eventually apologized for recording a duet with Beenie Man, but it took her 3 or 4 yrs for some unexplained reason. I guess it's possible she didn't know about his violently homophobic lyrics when she originally recorded the duet with him, but her gay fans were up in arms about it immediately, and there's no excuse for her waiting years to apologize. Not that I ever gave a shit about that thin-voiced hack anyway, personally.

Posted by: Johnny | Jul 28, 2007 7:01:18 PM

14. All you 'mos need to stop hatin' on Jamaica and patois. The homophobia in Jamaica is (or should be) considered a worldwide crisis, and we need to do everything we can to stem the tide. But if you decide to "hate" Jamaica, Jamaicans or patois, their surprisingly complex and beloved language, you are not exactly taking the high road.
    Pop quiz:
    Know which country has the most gay rights organization employees, per capita?

yip, Jamaica.

And, before fundamentalist Christians got their hooks in to the people of Jamaica 50 years ago, they were actually a very tolerant nation.
    So just get your facts right, is all I'm sayin'. As usual, Christians, and not Beenie Man or Buju Banton, are to blame.

Posted by: JeffRob | Aug 28, 2007 6:07:21 PM