Brandon Flowers | News | The Killers

Brandon Flowers Probed by Aliens with a Thing for Camp

Flowers

A hetero Mormon who has spoken out for gay rights, Brandon Flowers of The Killers has always seemed nothing but gay to me, and he doesn't stray from that distinction in the new clip for their energetic new track "Spaceman," donning modified football shoulder pad drag with the same feathered epaulets he wore for "Human" along with tights and a utility belt/codpiece. "Spaceman" meditates on alien abduction.

Flowers' tendency to look back at the 80's and 90's for his inspirations appears to be in full force here. Robbie at Chart Rigger notes a campy familiarity to Andy Bell's 1985 clip for "Heavenly Action."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Hmmm ... a hetero Mormon with gay tendencies? Sounds like just like one of the new cast members on MTV's Realworld Brooklyn --- "Don't let his look fool you: Chet is not your typical punk rock party boy. Despite his tight jeans and affinity for neon clothing, this 23-year-old University of Utah frat boy is one of 10 children in a strict Mormon family." He just appears to be a gay in deep denial --- in the first show he asks another cast member "do you think I am gay?"

Posted by: Daya | Jan 26, 2009 8:41:07 AM

2. the video also seems to be inspired by the Queen video for "it's a hard life." Flowers may not be gay, but he certainly has good taste...

Posted by: Schwa | Jan 26, 2009 9:07:35 AM

3. He could star with Jonathan Rhys Meyers in Velvet Goldmine 2

Posted by: John | Jan 26, 2009 9:21:01 AM

4. That is a horrendously... AWFUL... GOD AWFUL song.

Unless this is some camp, parody for something like"Second City Television".

Or was this written for "Flight of the Conchords"? It's that bad that it's funny.

Posted by: Rad | Jan 26, 2009 9:30:38 AM

5. This just looks like a very tame (read: Mormon) version of a Burning Man party. With a bit of Cirque du Soliel thrown in. And unfortunately for Brandon, he looks wooden and uncomfortable throughout this video. I saw them live a few years ago and he's equally wooden on stage. Still, he is a cutie. (And is it just me or is he increasingly looking like a slightly younger Ben Affleck? Speaking of wooden...)

Posted by: SeanC | Jan 26, 2009 10:46:14 AM

6. Schwa: Thats exactly what I thought. The whole thing very much reminded me of the "It's A Hard Life" video. Brandon's costume looks a lot like a sloppy version of Freddie's very stylised costume. Brandon may not be gay, but he sure is camp! :)

Posted by: OberonOZ | Jan 26, 2009 10:46:23 AM

7. I've only read one interview with him, but he seems like someone very uncomfortable in his own skin. A lot of Mormon men I've met seem gay because they were raised in the more gentle sides of the tradition/cult, and were nonviolent and somewhat effete. Whether they were actually gay was hard to know, because the religion is so stifling and homophobic (gays don't help expand the number of Mormons, which is a central tenent of Mormonism).

On an even more cynical note, it's worth bearing in mind that, as a student of 80s and 90s music, Brandon learned that you sell more records if you pass yourself off as being sexually ambiguous. I think of him as a less annoying Pete Wentz: likes to dress up, wear makeup, and tease whoever he can because he desperately needs attention.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 26, 2009 11:52:47 AM

8. Is it me or is he getting way too skinny?

Posted by: Jay | Jan 26, 2009 11:55:42 AM

9. He looks like Brain Eno from the early Roxy Music days to me. Does that date me too much?

Posted by: Scott in Columbus Park | Jan 26, 2009 2:27:28 PM

10. Jay. He has lost a noticeable amount of weight relatively recently it seems. (But I've always been an extreme ectomorph bone rack, so I really can't throw stones.) I don't think he looks 'bad' tho. Still cute.

Posted by: SeanC | Jan 26, 2009 3:04:42 PM

11. RAD, I agree. The DJs at WXPN are going to have to come with an even more strong tone of "nuanced exasperation" than the one they've used whenever announcing "Human."

Posted by: Saint Theresa of Avila | Jan 26, 2009 7:04:34 PM

12. The big problem here is the fact that he is just walking around in an outfit. Not owning it. Just "oh it's Flowers in a flower!"

The reason Freddy Mercury, Boy George, Bowie were so brilliant is that they took on characters and lived them. Flowers and this album that is supposed to be concept is just a facsimile. We are looking because he is cute. Not because he is presenting a fully nuanced concept.

At least he's trying, I suppose.

Posted by: Br!on | Jan 26, 2009 8:23:13 PM

13. He is married with a wife and a kid...I don't think he is pulling any tommy girl faux marriage to cover the gay crap...but I do think he is playing gay somewhat. He's really cute though *sigh* oh well.

Posted by: branbran | Jan 27, 2009 5:43:50 AM

14. I'd like to know to what kind of music the douchey person who compared this to a second city parody listens. I think this is an incredible song-- the lyrics are top notch, it's catchy, and the subject matter is unique and glowing.
    The video is great. A common quality with all killers videos i've seen, with the exception of mr. brightside, is that of a self-conscious awareness that the event taking place is the filming of a music video.

anyway, it's good.

Posted by: flucht17 | Feb 1, 2009 9:33:03 PM

15. FUCK YOU DAM PEOPLE!!!!
    BRANDON IS NOT GAY!
    HE'S MARRIED AND HAS A KID FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!
    STGOP HATING
    remember you only hate others cuz u haTE URSELF.

Posted by: plop[ | Feb 7, 2009 4:31:26 PM

16. all you have to do is notice the final frame of this video--brandon's wistful, vulnerable face...to know the soul and spirit of it's creator. the song is inspired. the video, wonderfully self conscious and wry...but beneath it all, brandon flowers is, simply, one of the only musical artists of this unmusical age. and he's just beginning to, well, flower.

Posted by: leslie | May 4, 2009 9:57:37 PM