Arnold Schwarzenegger | California | Democratic Party | Mark Leno | News | Tom Ammiano

BigGayDeal.com

Schwarzenegger told 'Kiss My Gay Ass' at SF Democratic Fundraiser

Arnold

California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger received a hostile reception after showing up announced at a Democratic Party fundraiser at San Francisco's Fairmont Hotel last night, including shouts of "you lie" and "kiss my gay ass," reportedly made by State Assemblyman Tom Ammiano.

Ammiano later said: "This isn't a chamber where someone suffers through. This is our house -- and it's like someone came in and took a big dump. He showed up; it was rude, he got up there and it felt to us that he was trivializing all the issues we care about. You have a few options, and along with the labor people, we walked out."

Watch the video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I wish I had been there to throw something at him. I hate that motherfucker.

Posted by: peterparker | Oct 8, 2009 6:55:19 PM

2. I was there last night and the rudest part was when Bill Clinton and "Mayor" Newsome who were with Arnold having dinner next door didn't bother to show their faces. Other than that the whole thing lasted 3 or 4 minutes and I didn't see anyone walk out.

Posted by: Scott | Oct 8, 2009 7:03:54 PM

3. LMAO!!! That is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time! It's takes the queens to stand up to Arnold and give him what he deserves! Thanks Mark and Tom, thats why I voted for you both! Give'em hell Mary!!

Posted by: Keith | Oct 8, 2009 7:17:31 PM

4. Arnie may be persona non grata in SF, but our supes and assemblymen constantly acting like spoiled, cry-baby divas is why SF is such a political quagmire. And after such a promising start, our dear Nanny Newsom can suck it.

Posted by: Denis | Oct 8, 2009 7:19:16 PM

5. This line in the story is confusing and it impacts how I might feel about it...

If it's supposed to be "unannounced" then I think the response was predictable for SF (and a little childish)... But if it was "announced" that Schwarzenegger was going to be there, I think the response was inapporpriate...

Schwarzenegger is not my favorite person, but this is not much different than the "You Lie" episode at the Obama speech. We can disagree, but lets show a little decorum...

Posted by: DavidinBurl | Oct 8, 2009 8:40:44 PM

6. @Denis: How any member of the queer community could diss Gavin Newsom is beyond me. His support of marriage equality has made his bid for Governor of California a more difficult endeavor than it would have been otherwise. Following the vote on Prop 8, Newsom could have easily seen the handwriting on the wall and fallen back on that "the will of the people" bromide in order to distance himself from us. But that isn't what he has done. He has remained a friend to the LGBT community. He continues to speak out in favor of marriage equality. That anyone from our community would call him "Nanny Newsom" and comment on a message board that he "can suck it" is absolutely repugnant. Shame on you, Denis!

Posted by: peterparker | Oct 8, 2009 8:45:56 PM

7. @DAVIDINBURL: First of all, I think shouting "You lie!" at the President while he is giving an address to Congress is vastly more offensive and inappropriate than shouting down a Republican governor who dropped in to a Democratic fundraiser thinking he'd be welcomed with open arms. Moreover, Senator Joe Wilson's outburst painted Obama as a liar when in fact Wilson was the one who was lying.

Twice Arnold Schwarzenegger has denied our community equality under the law by vetoing marriage equality. Last year, Schwarzenegger vetoed a bill that would have honored Harvey Milk with a state holiday. More recently, Schwarzenegger slashed funding for HIV/AIDS services here in California. He has fucked our community at every opportunity. I see absolutely no reason whatsoever that we should show him an ounce of respect.

Posted by: peterparker | Oct 8, 2009 8:55:24 PM

8. ...not much more than a thumbs up...but I agree with Peter...every word. And in fact he has the Harvey Milk Day Bill on his desk right now!
    Have you called? to get it signed. I have.

Posted by: LOrion | Oct 8, 2009 9:10:47 PM

9. Happy Harvey Milk Day you fucking Nazi.

I'm gonna go get married now you fuck.

FUCK ARNOLD.

FUCK MARIA SHRIVER'S DUMB ASS FOR MARRYING THAT STUPID FUCK.

KISS MY UNMARRIED FAGGOT ASS.

Posted by: Mark | Oct 8, 2009 9:25:40 PM

10. Shouting "You lie" is tacky in these situations, no matter who does it, even if Obama and Schwarzenegger really are both lying politicians.

Posted by: Let'sFaceIt | Oct 8, 2009 9:27:30 PM

11. Republitards have made our national political discourse hateful and nasty. I don't feel sorry for them when REAL Americans have the balls to give it right back to them.

A reaction of citizens is NOT the same thing as an organized offense of a major political party against an entire class of people.

Posted by: Mark | Oct 8, 2009 9:32:19 PM

12. Umm ... that wasn't "kiss my GAY ass" that the heckler shouted, as you reported. It was "kiss my F____T ass".

This behaviour was disgraceful, and plays right into Republican hands.

Posted by: Randy | Oct 8, 2009 9:33:42 PM

13. I was working at the Civic Center back in 04 when Gavin declared gays could marry and it was heart wrenching and revolutionary and all those things... For that, I'll always be hugely grateful. Then the wheels just came off the wagon. Aside from that one brilliant, defining moment, the man has been a disaster as a mayor. I won't go into all of it, but his best political move since 04 was to marry the imbecile daughter of an ultra-right wing billionaire (her dad was poised to throw a massive fundraiser for Palin or all people) and quickly pop out a baby so when his gubernatorial campaign fails, he can have his father-in-law's teat to suck on for cash. Sorry, I'm just bitter.

Posted by: Denis | Oct 8, 2009 9:39:38 PM

14. Randy, if someone was childish enough to shout "Kiss my f-----t ass" I'm already dreading what they'll be shouting at Obama during the march.

Posted by: Let'sFaceIt | Oct 8, 2009 9:42:09 PM

15. Arnold actually goes to San Francisco often.

Much of Northern California is pretty low-key (some would say downright provincial). And the Governator has made his disdain for "boring" Sacramento quite public over the last seven years. The reality is San Francisco is the only city up north that has anything close to a "celebrity culture."

But having lunch with Al Gore, Gordon Getty, or George Lucas is a little different than showing up at a Democratic Party fundraiser unannounced.

I don't know if he's aware that he plays for the other team or not. Schwarzenegger is often confused about where he fits in the political universe.

Posted by: John | Oct 8, 2009 11:42:28 PM

16. What a bunch of hypocrites you all are. That childish display of displeasure is embarrassing to our community as a whole, and if Tom Ammiano is the voice we wish to have represent us, God help us all.

Posted by: Bob | Oct 9, 2009 12:07:52 AM

17. Tom Ammiano is such a public embarassment and his weird beady little eyes freak me out.

Thank god Newsom will fail in his bid for Governor. I recoil in horror thinking about his failed leadership as Mayor translated to a statewide level. I'm voting for Tom Campbell - a pro-gay marriage Republican with a PhD in economics.

Posted by: GrabbinNewscum | Oct 9, 2009 12:13:51 AM

18. Some of you don't seem to get it. This speech was not on the CA state capitol floor where The Govenator was addressing the state where you should show respect and restraints. This was at a private Democratic fundraiser, where he was unannounced. You think people would just sit there and say nothing?

Posted by: Dairyqueen | Oct 9, 2009 10:09:52 AM

19. RT (yeah i know it's not a tweet but it's my opinion too) This line in the story is confusing and it impacts how I might feel about it...

@DavidinBurl "California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger received a hostile reception after showing up announced at a democratic Party fundraiser at San Francisco's Fairmont Hotel last night,"

If it's supposed to be "unannounced" then I think the response was predictable for SF (and a little childish)... But if it was "announced" that Schwarzenegger was going to be there, I think the response was inappropriate...

Posted by: Tim | Oct 9, 2009 10:10:02 AM

20. Look, I didn't vote for the governor in either of his elections, and I give him probably a grade of C-/D+ overall. But the behavior in that room was classless.

I didn't vote for Ammanio for mayor, and I only hestantly voted for him last year for state senate. But next time?

Check yourself, Tom.

Posted by: Wayne | Oct 9, 2009 12:31:41 PM

21. You know what. I appreciate the effort from Arnold. He went out there knowing he would face a harsh crowd. But what I would like more is if he actually put this kind of effort more into his legislative action. He's in a bad spot but the action he takes to solve it is inapropriate. A mass veto is a nuclear option and his position on funding cuts for critical care is offensive.

Posted by: Alex Paris | Oct 9, 2009 4:09:40 PM

22. @Peterparker; You just wait and see who was lying when Obie said NO ILLEGAL ALIENS WILL GET HEALTH INSURANCE!!

Posted by: JIM | Oct 9, 2009 7:43:21 PM