GLAAD | News | Will Phillips

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Pledge of Allegiance and Gay Rights Activist Will Phillips Accepts GLAAD Award

Phillips

Will Phillips, the 10-year-old who made headlines earlier this year for refusing to say the Pledge of Allegiance in his school class until all U.S. citizens are treated equally, accepted the GLAAD award Saturday night for "Outstanding TV Journalism Segment" for this CNN piece (watch).

Phillips continued his articulate and fierce advocacy in delivering the best acceptance speech of the night.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I'm absolutely flabergasted! KUDOS Will!!

Posted by: ACe | Mar 15, 2010 5:28:59 PM

2. That kid speaking was one of the best moments of the evening. I wish all parents fostered such well-formed and reasoned attitudes in their children.

Posted by: Chris | Mar 15, 2010 5:49:48 PM

3. Love that kid!

Posted by: jaragon | Mar 15, 2010 5:51:44 PM

4. Bravo, Bravo, BRAVO!!!
    May YOU Live LONG and PROSPER!

Posted by: Steve M | Mar 15, 2010 6:51:32 PM

5. That kid is AWESOME!

Posted by: KFLO | Mar 15, 2010 7:21:17 PM

6. Will you rule! LIVE LONG AND PROSPER INDEED!

Posted by: robert | Mar 15, 2010 9:56:50 PM

7. terrific, will! the world is your oyster, little friend. your parents have to be remarkably proud of you, young man.

Posted by: nic | Mar 15, 2010 11:22:38 PM

8. Shut up and say the Pledge !
    Using a kid to further your political causes is WRONG .

Posted by: BJ Murphy | Mar 15, 2010 11:26:55 PM

9. Activist? He's just a mouthpiece for the HRC. People are using this kid to further their own agendas. It's wrong.

Posted by: BJ Murphy | Mar 15, 2010 11:34:08 PM

10. Go frak yourself, BJ.

Posted by: Sean | Mar 16, 2010 12:25:41 AM

11. BJ has no friends.

Posted by: Beegee | Mar 16, 2010 12:35:08 AM

12. Mr. Murphy, you give BJs a bad name.

Posted by: Happily Married | Mar 16, 2010 12:38:54 AM

13. He should be on Jon Stewart !

Posted by: rick | Mar 16, 2010 1:16:54 AM

14. I was 11 or 12 in 1963 when I wanted to go to the March on Washington. My mom wouldn't let me go. I still regret not being there. This heroic kid stood up on his own, and his parents support him. He is most certainly not being 'used.'

Please never shut up, and never say the damned pledge.

Posted by: Gary | Mar 16, 2010 3:08:03 AM

15. more of a leader than the guy at 1600 pennsylvania ave

Posted by: rick | Mar 16, 2010 5:17:01 AM

16. Mixed feelings. On the one hand, his stance is charming...but on the other, I do have to wonder how much he's been coached...and if he's fully understand all of what he's gotten press for.

Oh well. Congrats to him on his award. I can't think of too many other 11 year olds who are getting as much notoriety as he is.

Posted by: CONVERSATION CHAMBER | Mar 16, 2010 6:57:39 AM

17. Yeah, I think it's a little weird. He's 11, for gods' sake. Having strong convictions and being able to articulately express them is one thing, borderline exploitation is another. The kid needs space, not the rigid box in which media exposure will lock him. Send him love.

Posted by: hmmm | Mar 16, 2010 9:24:06 AM

18. What a great kid, he should be in charge of GLAAD.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Mar 16, 2010 7:46:38 PM

19. This is Will's father...

Just for the record, he's TOTALLY waggin the dog here! lol!!! He's been concerned with right vs. wrong & fairness since he was little. I am a very private person (ouside of my exhibitionist facebook tendancies) and I don't like this level of attention. I don't mind Will having a certain notoriety but I don't want fame for him. In short, it's not "for the show".

He believes strongly and I support him.

To the hilt. I am not the bravest of men but I support my son as he willfully engages in the defence of his fellow citizens. Check out some of the material posted on getequal.org and THEN judge us. but don't belittle him by thinking a 10 year old incapable of having original thoughts & opinions.

Posted by: jay phillips | Mar 16, 2010 10:38:06 PM

20. So composed and polished to be so young. Loved the turtlemobile line.

Posted by: Mike Hipp | Mar 17, 2010 7:43:24 PM

21. Why is Joe Solomonese the head of HRC and not this kid? Joe Solomonese is as homophobic as they come.

Posted by: Norm D PLume | Mar 18, 2010 2:59:21 PM