Comments

1. Matty says

I couldn’t go (because two days before: I get a fucking pneumonia), but my sister went and she left right before they throwed smoke bomb. She said that skinheads were everywhere in the city. On the buses…everywhere.

“Eight skinhead protesters were arrested.” – I’m not 100% sure, but I think 8 skinheads were harmed (YAY:)) and Police actually arrested 25 skinheads.
    Police really fucked it up and really wasn’t prepared. Our Interior Minister, of course, blames everything on the organizers and said that the police did a good job and that they should only interfere in the possibility of violence…

Well, I guess if I look at the bright side: there were harmed only two people from the parade and it got people talking about GLBT problems!
    Other than that: Yeah, we´re pretty shitty, fucked up country!!!

2. Skywalker says

As written above, Ulrike Lunacek was not hurt. The truth is, that a throwen stone missed her.
    But if you want to exagerrate the story, you can write that Hannes Swoboda attended this Gay Pride and was raped afterwards.

3. FunMe says

Matty: I congratulate you and others who are making progress in your country. We stand behind you in solidarity. I send you prayers and positive energy for continued change in your country.

Thank your sister!

4. John in Boston says

ARTURO BEECHE:

These Barbarians? No offense, but, in a span of less than 100 years, civilized Europeans caused 2 world wars that killed 100 million +. Civilized Europeans gave the world Hitler, Marx, Mussolini, fascism, Nazism, communism, ethnic cleansing/a holocaust, imperialism, death camps where millions were murdered, tortured, medically experimented on, and lamp shades were made out of tattooed human skin sliced off executed prisoners.

5. Humberto says

What do “Marx, Mussolini, fascism, Nazism, communism, ethnic cleansing/a holocaust, imperialism, death camps where millions were murdered, tortured, medically experimented on, and lamp shades were made out of tattooed human skin sliced off executed prisoners” have to do with homosexuality or even a gay parade at all?. Seriously….

6. FizziekruntNT says

MATTY! I wish you a speedy recovery. Your sister was very brave but also I am sure you are very proud of her for going.

I personally, was unaware that Slovakia had a skinhead problem. That apparently has been an issue since the mid-to-late ’90s and sounds like it is the current leftover garbage of the SPR-RSC. If the people continue to question the ability of the police to do their job, then they will beef up security the next time (hopefully!)

This reference may not make sense to a foreigner, but even San Diego Gay Pride got teargassed one year. I was mortified. I couldn’t believe it. After years of going to Dallas Gay Pride without incident, the one place I never would have thought it possible was the place it occurred. Keep working it, Matty!

On a brighter, unrelated note: Fort Worth’s Rainbow Lounge this weekend was bouncin’! I’ve never seen so many people there, there were firedancers and all kinds of crazy fun going on. It was like they were having their own gay pride night. We ARE resilient.

Again: KEEP WORKIN’ IT, MATTY!