Jason Mraz: I was Beat Up, Bullied at School, Called ‘Faggot’

Jason Mraz attended the Harvey Milk Diversity Breakfast on Friday. On Sunday, Mraz took to his blog to write about why he stands up for LGBT equality.

Writes Mraz
Mraz

"When I was in high school, I experienced being bullied. For whatever reason, there were a few students that enjoyed calling me 'faggot' as I walked thru the lunchroom. On one occasion, just before graduation, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time and picked up a few punches, kicks and scrapes to add to my story. I never knew why the handsome lads called me names or felt the need to bully me, but it happened and I let their actions contribute a great deal to my moving away from that community.

Shortly after the row, my best friend came out, sharing with his friends and family that he was gay. In my small town, this was uncommon and since then I’ve considered my friend to be the bravest man in the world. Aware of the hate within our community, I was afraid my friend might be inviting trouble to his door – but that never stopped him from being fully expressed.

This is why I am actively seeking equality for the whole. When all of us are acknowledged as the human equals that we really are, there will be no space left for bullying. It will no longer be wrong to choose one thing over another. Equality and Separation cannot exist in the same space."

Mraz calls on people to join the fight for LGBT equality.

Comments

1. ty says

Good Guy ! I don’t understand why someone has to bully another. The only thing I can think is that they are conflicted about their own sexuality for a certain period of time. Seems to be mostly a younger guy phenomenon…

2. Bob R says

Jealousy Mr. Mraz. They knew you were more handsome and beautiful both outside and inside than they could ever hope to be. Don’t ever forget that!

3. Alan E. says

I am from the Richmond, VA area where Jason is from, and I totally understand what he is talking about. I ended up coming out officially after high school, but it didn’t make it any easier. I, too, left Richmond because it was too backwards (and the East Coast weather sucks).

4. Chris says

Okay, I’m from Richmond, and honestly, it’s not THAT bad. Granted Jason went to HS during a different time than I did, but when I was in high school, it was definitely not a big deal. Richmond is a great LGBTQ friendly town. Don’t knock it down completely.

5. TANK says

Richmond is the home of the confederacy, so what do you expect from such a backward, pissant place? Southerners are a bunch of drunk bigoted rednecks…ALL OF THEM, ALL THE TIME!

6. Paul says

We owe so much to Jason Mraz and Cyndi Lauper for being out there supporting our Community like they do! And you can tell that both really do care for our community!

I Love Jason

I Love Cyndi Lauper

7. John says

@TANK

Nice sweeping generalization about Southerners. I’m gay and from South Carolina, and I’m not a drunk, a bigot, or a redneck. You’re stupid comments are completely offensive. Get some manners.

Homophobia is everywhere and not confined to the South.

8. TANK says

No, it’s just confined to the south, john! Are you sure you’re not any of those things? Poor white trash would be reasonable substitute for redneck…regional dialect taken into account (e.g., “it don’t mean sheeeit!”). In any event, you’ve clearly got some churching up to do, missy.

9. James says

I hardly ever comment on here, but I’m tired of reading Tank’s predictable B.S on here. Princess needs to get the pole out of his ass, ASAP.

10. TANK says

I’m sorry you guys, I just like to pull your chains. I think you’re right, I am sure there are many nice people in Richmond. I’ve never been there myself actually, just saw it on youTube. Peace guys and keep up the fun posts!

11. Matt says

Mraz is actually from Mechanicsville, a small place outside of Richmond. You can’t throw a brick out there without hitting a Civil War battlefield, so you’d expect to find a few rednecks as well. The city is fine. Ignorant people who post rancorous b.s. aren’t any different from these high school bully jerks.

12. Bear says

TANK

I enjoy reading the different news articles on this site. Most of the time I also enjoy reading the different responses that people post. Whether I agree with them or not is not important because I like to view all sides of any issue. Having stated thus I find at times remarks from certain contributors humorous. But then there are those whose remarks go beyond humor to the point of being hateful and harmful. Tank, the majority of the time that I read your comments they fit into this hateful and harmful category. You claim you are being humorous or playing the “devils advocate” but you are not. You come across as an idiot and sarcastic ass. I’ve been reading your evil comments too many times. Have you nothing else to do other than comment on nearly every article? I suggest that you either think before putting your dirty fingers on the keyboard or better yet don’t comment. I know I’m not the only one that is tired of your juvenile actions. So do us all a favor, shut-up!

13. TANK says

I didn’t write that “I’m sorry,” gobshite! I’d never apologize to any of you! Are you kidding me? LMAO! Everyone’s stealing mah name. And peace? PEACE? What kinda douche says that? Not me.

14. nic says

jason mraz is a good man.

TANK, on the other hand, is a self-flagelating, conscious-stricken jew. why? who knows? he finds antisemitism in all corners and under all beds. he projects all his guilt-ridden bile on those that approach — like a spitting cobra. what a sad man.

15. hephaestion says

Bravo Jason Mraz!!

And anyone who says Richmond VA is a great place to be gay must be living in a bubble. It is a hellish place to be gay for most people. I have gay relatives there. And Virginia’s laws are so stridently anti-gay that thousands of VA gays have left the state in protest. And just look at the insane anti-gay gov. and Attorney General of VA now! They’re insane!