Top German Football Agent Claims There are ‘a Bunch of Gays’ on the World Cup Team

Gwc

Germany's World Cup Team 2010

German football agent Michael Becker, agent to top footballer Michael Ballack, is making sports headlines across Germany after an interview was published in which he attributed the elegant style of the World Cup team to the fact that "a bunch" of its players are gay.

The Guardian reports:

In an essay entitled New German Men, Aleksander Osang recounts an interview he had with Becker prior to the World Cup in which the agent allegedly told him which of the players in the team were gay. He later said that a former national player was ready to reveal the "bunch of gays" in the German team, according to Osang. Asked about the sexuality of one of the newer players, Becker, who is a lawyer by profession, referred to him as being "half gay".

Osang went on to say that Becker put the new adroit, lighter and elegant style of play that has become a trademark of trainer Joachim Löw's players down to their homosexuality, in contrast to the typically more aggressive and offensive German style of past years, but suggested they played too delicately to assure themselves a place in the final.

According to Der Spiegel, when Becker made his remarks about the "bunch of gays" he expected the ears of fellow journalists present to "prick up". "But they only nodded placidly," said Osang. "All sports journalists seemed to already know the alleged homosexual conspiracies enveloping Löw's team. The rumours accompanied our team to South Africa and evidently belong to the team."

Germany came third in the World Cup, going further than expected, after an excellent run that included wins over England and Argentina.

Becker responded to the controversy: "Becker has neither denied nor confirmed that he made the comments, but has since said he was 'misunderstood' and that the interview was not 'authorised', a common journalistic practice in Germany whereby the interviewee has the right to change his remarks after the interview.

Osang said he stood by his article, saying that Becker had told him 'unbelievable stories that I took down in my notebook and Becker didn't seem to have anything against me doing so'."

Michael Ballack did not play in the World Cup due to an injury.

Comments

1. Hue-Man says

If the (confusing) message here is that the gays helped create an “elegant style of play”, the Germans should go with a 100% gay team (OK, a token hetero or two would be acceptable)! Not only were they fun to watch (semi-final against Spain excepted), they went further than anyone would have expected. This is particularly significant after the crash and burn performance by Italy, Brazil, France, England, etc. etc.

2. Tom says

Agreed, if the Germans’ new-found elegance was down to gayness, they should totally go all out queer! They played a brilliant World Cup.

Also, if this is true – as much as I sympathize with the difficulties they’d face – I really hope some of the players can find the courage to come out. In Europe, a few talented and openly gay footballers could constitute a huge, huge breakthrough in terms of visibility and role models for young gay kids in particular.

3. Jonathon Edwards says

Whether is true or not, the buy doing the talking here is just saying “we lost because of a bunch of sissies on our team”. A ‘real’ German team would be all manly and aggressive. So its just same ol homophobic bullshit. We lost. Lets blame teh gay.

4. Adam says

I have always had a weakness for soccer boys. It must be the stamina, tight bodies, and shorts! — even if, in the case of the Germans, they are lederhosen!

5. Matt26 says

What a suprise, gays on the teams! Do I hear big outing in the world of sport? Perhaps not just yet, but soon… (Not just in German team.) What is half gay? German team was hot, played well and was nice to watch. My fav. was Podolski.
    @Adam, me too, hot for soccer guys. There is sth about them.

6. Paul R says

@Jonathon Edwards: the interview occurred before the games, so he’s not blaming the gays for anything.

As for the commenters confused about “half gay”—it’s straight guy talk for bisexuality. Duh.

7. Charles says

Although interesting, this is hardly news. Most queer men have known that there is a large percentage of at least bi and curious players on sport teams.

8. Dego says

@Erick
    thanks for the link. yummy pictures of yummy guys.. but am I the only one immature enough to be giggling at the “Mannschaft” title on that page? I mean, within this context?
    yeah, probably. I’ll go sit in the corner with my juice-box.

9. justiceontherocks says

Whether the Germans were the hottest team in the WC I don’t know, but they were up there. The hwole event was off the charts for male hotness. I’ll take it over US football any day for the eye candy.

10. victor oluwatope says

first and formost my name is victor i have profile of as follow,dynamose fc of lagos amt,federal poly ado ekit school team ,ondo united fc amt 2.goal keeper.all stars fc yeovill south africa.