Helen Mirren | News | Russell Brand

Photo: Helen Mirren Gives Russell Brand a Bath

Brand

Brand tweeted this from the set of the Arthur remake, saying, "At last. A bath from Helen Mirren. Never has getting clean been more dirty."

If you're familiar with the original, Mirren plays the John Gielgud role.

Comments

1. The original "Arthur" was bad enough (John Gielgud asking if he should wash Arthur's dick - yuck). The last thing we need is a remake. Let's hope we don't have to suffer a new version of "the moon and New York City" all over the airwaves.

Posted by: Rick S. | Aug 11, 2010 8:05:20 AM

2. If this doesn't kill Brand's career, it should make it very, very strong. Oy.

Posted by: MammaBear | Aug 11, 2010 10:07:39 AM

3. I hope Helen has had her shots.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Aug 11, 2010 10:45:03 AM

4. I can't believe that Helen Mirren would agree to remake a classic movie like Arthur. Aside from making money, what possible reason could anyone have to remake that movie? While they're at it, they should remake Tootsie and Kramer vs Kramer too. These people are nothing but money-whores.

@ Rick S. - You have no soul.

Posted by: David in Houston | Aug 11, 2010 10:55:42 AM

5. Agreed, David. completely Agreed. Not only have you no soul, you have no taste, rick. Arthur, the original, was a great comedy and movie..and gieldgud's performance can't be duplicated, which is why they changed the gender and hired mirren (who's a great actress, but no gielgud)...and it's not going to work.

It's bad enough that they made a sequel which was unwatchable...but they have to further degrade it with a remake.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 11, 2010 1:24:10 PM

6. And now if you'll excuse me I need to go wash my eyes out. With bleach.

Posted by: Stephen | Aug 11, 2010 2:19:50 PM

7. Whether you liked it or not (I'm somewhere in the middle), there's no reason to make a remake. Are they going to "reboot" it in hopes of a franchise?

Is Hollywood so incapable of new ideas?

I know it's not a dearth of ideas so much as the speed a pitch meeting takes. Saying, "It's a remake of 'Arthur' starring Russell Brand, only with Helen Mirren in the John Gielgud role" is a lot faster than explaining the plot of a brand new movie. But even so, really, Hollywood, I'm ashamed of you.

Posted by: Kevin | Aug 11, 2010 9:33:00 PM

8. I guess Hollywood hasn't learned anything this summer. We are sick of Re-makes

Posted by: Billy | Aug 11, 2010 9:37:28 PM

9. Arthur is one of my all-rime favorite movies. Liza, Dudley and above all Gielgud were wonderful in it. It was also made in the early 1980s when a movie about a spoiled billionaire wasn't nearly as out of step with the general mood of society. It will flop, and shame on Dame Mirren for being a part of it.

Posted by: gypsy78 | Aug 11, 2010 10:20:08 PM