Arnold Schwarzenegger | Chile | Connecticut | Germany | News | Transgender | Volcanoes | Whitney Houston

BigGayDeal.com

News: Foreskin Man, Chilean Volcano, Sarah Palin, Germany

road Houston electrician sends out anti-gay mailings attacking mayor Annise Parker.

Fm  road Creator of Foreskin Man defends his comic book in which the hero battles a villain named Monster Mohel: "We're not trying to be anti-Semitic. We're trying to be pro-human rights."

road Whitney Houston will be in rehab a little bit longer than originally anticipated.

road Connecticut Governor Dannel P. Malloy on the transgender anti-discrimination bill he intends to sign into law: “This bill is another step forward in the fight for equal rights for all of Connecticut’s citizens, and it’s the right thing to do,’’ he said in a written statement issued shortly after the vote was taken. “It’s difficult enough for people who are grappling with the issue of their gender identity, and discrimination against them has no place in our society.’’

road Arnold Schwarzenegger hires celebrity divorce lawyer.

road Sarah Palin refuses to admit she got her facts about Paul Revere wrong.

road Cheryl Cole bounces back to the X-Factor.

Chile  road Ash from Puyehue volcano in Southern Chile darkens the skies of that country as well as Argentina's.

road Rumors that Adam Lambert and Christina Aguilera have recorded a duet are quashed.

road New York's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center stepping away from allowing groups to use its facilities for meetings around Israeli/Palestinian issues.

road Germany continues to be hit hard with Europe's recent E. coli outbreak. Sprouts eyed as source.

road Drink gays out of the closet.

road X-Men: First Class opens at number one at the box office with $56 million.

Comments

1. That comic book most certainly is anti-Semitic. Here's why:

1. The cover attacks Jews and Jews only. Muslims also circumcise their children, but they are, of course, off limits as far as the left is concerned. Many babies in America are circumcised as a matter of course, but this is not the focus of the comic.

2. The cover demonizes Jews. Look at how it depicts the Mohel as some bloodthirsty predator, which the comic even calls a "monster."

3. The cover features a heroic, blond Aryan to save the baby from the Jews.

The minute some leftist starts spattering on about human rights, you can bet your horses they are going to say something anti-Semitic and then deny they are anti-Semitic.

Posted by: Max | Jun 5, 2011 5:16:54 PM

2. "I'm a Jewish American. I'm not easily offended by cartoons.

What I am offended by is people cutting the genitals of non-consenting infants and children."

Bris shalom requires no cutting: JewsAgainstCircumcision.org I love my jewish friends for human rights =)

Info the truth on circumcision: wholenetwork.org
    DoctorsOpposingCircumcision.org

Foreskin restoration to undo the sexual diminishment of circumcision: tlctugger.com

Over 200,000 men are restoring their foreskins cause they would've said no to circumcision.

Posted by: Greg | Jun 5, 2011 5:43:32 PM

3. Max, I agree the comic book is undoubtedly anti-semetic. But why do you say that the creator of it is a leftist? Do you know something about the guy that I don't, or do you presume that he's a leftist. There are plenty of non-leftists who cloak their opinions as being motivated by human rights concerns.
    The anti-Semetism of the comic is not simply that ritual circumcision by Muslims is not considered. It ignores the fact that most circumcision in this country is not done in a religious ceremony. It is done for health concerns in hospitals.
    Whether or not those concerns are valid or not is another issue. I happen to think they are not valid. But as much as I am against circumcision, I am against outlawing the practice. And I am sick and tired of the lack of perspective of anti-circumcision campaigners (e.g., it's a horrible mulitalation no different than what is done to many African girls, the pain becomes a lifelong psychological scar, it reduces sexual pleasure, etc.).

Posted by: MichaelJ | Jun 5, 2011 5:52:53 PM

4. I'm Joseph Goebbels and I approve this cartoon. Of course this crappy comic is anti-semitic (look at the cover art). I'm not arguing the politics of circumcision only stating what I think about this comic book.

Posted by: PLAINTOM | Jun 5, 2011 6:08:39 PM

5. Who is kidding who? Anti-Zionism is wide-spread in Europe, as is anti-Semitism [anti-Jewish + anti-Arab], on both the radical left and right. There is also considerable residual anti-Semitism [anti-Jewish] sentiment among the general European population, and of course among the large Muslim population in Europe. I understand anti-Zionism [I personally believe Zionism is racist], but not anti-Semitism, hatred of someone simply because they're Jewish, or Arab [Christian or or Muslim.]

Some take quotes from the Torah or Koran as examples of anti-Christian beliefs, and there are some bizarre things in the Koran and Torah, but there's also bizarre stuff in the Christian Bible that 99% of Christians are unaware of and would agree with.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 5, 2011 6:33:34 PM

6. CORRECTION:

That should read 'Wouldn't' [or don't] believe in.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 5, 2011 6:35:50 PM

7. Forgot to add: anti-Semitism [and anti-Zionism] is less in the U.S. But both are wide-spread, especially among certain demographics, in academia, and among radical leftist and right-wingers. But among the general U.S. population, anti-Semitism isn't on the scale to be found even today in Europe and other parts of the world.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 5, 2011 6:40:42 PM

8. I'm Jewish and left my sons intact. This movement is not "anti-Semitic." Most of the anti-circumcision leaders are Jews themselves, working to save Jewish boys from being cut. "Foreskin Man is no more "anti-Semitic" than Andres Serrano's 'Piss Christ' is "anti-Christian, or Kurt Westergaard's Muhammad cartoons are "anti-Muslim." These are all works of art. Anyone who understands these works knows they comment on the worst aspects of some religious people, NOT all the members of the religions in question. The comic depicts the hero trying to *save* Jews and rescuing a Jewish baby from being cut.

Posted by: Kelev | Jun 5, 2011 7:25:49 PM

9. Kelev, this comic is political propaganda, not art. It uses circumcision as an excuse to demonize Jews.

Personally, I think circumcision is barbaric unless medically necessary (or chosen for oneself by an adult). However, I don't need to call a Jew a "monster" to make such a point. I don't need to re-hash Nazi imagery to suggest that there are symbolic alternatives to removing flesh.

I don't think anyone was stating (or implying) that opposing circumcision is anti-Semitic. The issue was whether a comic book that demonizes Jews is anti-Semitic. In my opinion, it most certainly is.

Posted by: Max | Jun 5, 2011 9:01:43 PM

10. The comic does not demonize Jews, it demonizes mohels.

Posted by: Jeff K. | Jun 5, 2011 9:21:30 PM

11. I'm a Jewish American. I'm not easily offended by cartoons.

I think much of the discussion on this issue misses the most important point - the individual's right to choose about HIS OWN BODY.

Of course this ballot initiative is very unlikely to pass, but it's invaluable to the extent that it challenges people to think critically about this issue.

The point is the freedom of choice. For me, and for others who were circumcised in infancy, that choice was taken away from us. Even if you don't agree with the word "mutilation," my penis was modified, and I never consented to it. The way that it looks and feels and functions was permanently changed and this can't be undone.

Why should I be denied the right to decide for myself how I want MY penis. My parents won't be using my penis. So why should it be their choice?

I know that cutting baby boys is still widely accepted and considered normal in this country, but that doesn't in itself make it right. Lots of bad things were at one time widely accepted.

So I just ask you all to honestly consider this question. Why should a parent have the right to have a normal healthy and functional part of their child amputated without their consent?

Posted by: Josh | Jun 5, 2011 9:21:47 PM

12. The cover art is kind of hilarious. I hope that doesn't make me anti-Semetic for saying so.

Posted by: VinciSmetana | Jun 5, 2011 9:56:24 PM

13. I can't believe CBS News gives her new movie a thumbs up!!

Palin: Is "The Undefeated" Running for President? http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504564_162-20069135-504564.html

What is wrong with these fools?

And now Chris Wallace (son of the venerated Mike Wallace!!) at Faux News thinks she is "presidential" or something!! Chris Wallace After Palin Interview: First Time I Ever Thought ‘This Women Is A Serious Candidate’ http://www.mediaite.com/tv/chris-wallace-after-palin-interview-first-time-i-ever-thought-this-women-is-a-serious-candidate/

and HOWARD DEAN thinks she can beat our greatest president, EVER!! Howard Dean warns Sarah Palin could beat Obama in 2012 http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/164765-howard-dean-warns-palin-could-beat-obama-in-2012

Is there something in the water inside the beltway?!

Posted by: Adam Stevenson | Jun 5, 2011 11:46:26 PM

14. There's nothing anti-semitic about the book. It doesn't say Judaism is false, or people shouldn't be Jewish, or bad things should happen to Jews.

It's clearly targeting child sexual abusers who amputate baby boys' penis skin.

It's past time that people can hide their abuse behind religious or race or authoritarian cover.

I wonder why nobody complained about issue No. 1? Is it anti-hippocratic because Dr. Mutilator is on the cover?

Both issues are online in HTML or PDF form.

Posted by: Randy | Jun 5, 2011 11:54:10 PM

15. Ugh. The idiot who wrote this comic set back what I regard as a legitimate cause. The comic is clearly anti-semitic. Questioning circumcision is not.

Posted by: tranquilo | Jun 6, 2011 3:01:44 AM

16. As a Brit would just like to say that I find Mrs Palin's constant harping on about a war that happened over two hundered yeas ago somewhat rude.

I don't go on about the (insert name of war)war every time I meet germans or french or spanish or japonese or chinese or ...

Anyhow this Pau Ryde fellow sounds excellent - riding to warn our brave soldiers about the damn yankee terrorists...

Posted by: arch | Jun 6, 2011 6:01:49 AM

17. those have to be the most stunning photos of nature ever

Posted by: spin doc | Jun 6, 2011 12:42:34 PM

18. My roommate in college was not circumcised, but when he was to be married, his wife to be insisted that he be circumcised BEFORE the marriage. He did it.

A year later, we both went back for a class reunion, and during a conversation, the subject of his circumcision came up. He said that it was the most damn fool thing he had ever done. He said that he used to enjoy having sex, but after being circumcised, there was little to enjoy. All sensations of pleasure were gone. Sex became just a "Bang Bang; Thank you mam" kind of thing.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Jun 6, 2011 9:13:00 PM

19. The health benefits of circumcision are very important for infants and children, so it does not make sense to wait till adulthood (just as you shouldn't wait till adulthood to vaccinate kids). I vaccinated both of my sons because I did not want to put them at risk of urinary tract infections, penile cancer, phimosis, paraphimosis, STD's, sexual complications, and HIV. The CDC and WHO both say that the health benefits are 'irrefutable' and 'definitive'. Studies of men who were circumcised as adults have shown consistently that there is either no change or an improvement in sexual pleasure and function after circumcision. Anyone who states that there is a negative side effect to circumcision is misinformed (the data are quite clear and overwhelming) or deliberately lying (the latter is the case with the sponsors of the anti-choice initiative here in SF).

Posted by: DB | Jun 13, 2011 2:53:41 PM

20. The health benefits of circumcision are very important for infants and children, so it does not make sense to wait till adulthood (just as you shouldn't wait till adulthood to vaccinate kids). I circumcised both of my sons because I did not want to put them at risk of urinary tract infections, penile cancer, phimosis, paraphimosis, STD's, sexual complications, and HIV. The CDC and WHO both say that the health benefits are 'irrefutable' and 'definitive'. Studies of men who were circumcised as adults have shown consistently that there is either no change or an improvement in sexual pleasure and function after circumcision. Anyone who states that there is a negative side effect to circumcision is misinformed (the data are quite clear and overwhelming) or deliberately lying (the latter is the case with the sponsors of the anti-choice initiative here in SF).

Posted by: DB | Jun 13, 2011 2:56:58 PM