Freddie Smith | News | Soap Operas | Television

Freddie Smith and the Gay Developments on 'Days of Our Lives': VIDEO

Smith

I'm not a big soap watcher but it was interesting watching this compilation clip of Freddie Smith's new gay character Sonny Kiriakis and his arrival in the Days of Our Lives universe. Looks like his romantic life may be heating up soon — a  potential new love interest, Will Horton (Chandler Massey)? He's also dealing with coming out issues, and breaks the news to his grandfather at the end of the clip that he's gay.

As always on the daytimes soaps, expect plenty of gratuitous shirtlessness.

Catch up on it all, AFTER THE JUMP...

(thanks, tipster Mike)

Comments

1. This may be a good story line. I watch soaps time to time because of hot shirtless guys and strong female characters (I know, very gay thing), but never DOOL. Perhaps I should.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jul 15, 2011 1:23:51 PM

2. Nice headlights on the blonde kid.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jul 15, 2011 1:45:36 PM

3. Yeah WTF is the blonde cutie

Posted by: Mike C | Jul 15, 2011 2:02:40 PM

4. Wait, that's... Marco?

Posted by: Chris K | Jul 15, 2011 2:09:36 PM

5. I used to watch Days back in the early-mid 80's - 83, 84, 85... Back when the adult characters on the show today were just kids. It's very different now...

Well, they have always had very cute, very vapid male characters...

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Jul 15, 2011 2:14:09 PM

6. Yup, that's Marco

Posted by: Guest | Jul 15, 2011 2:21:45 PM

7. There's no such thing as "gratuitous shirtlessness". It's all absolutely necessary!

Posted by: Married in MA | Jul 15, 2011 2:40:17 PM

8. Sorry, but this was some of the worst acting I have ever seen. And I don't think the old guy at the end was his grandfather, being he kept calling him Uncle Victor.
    Anyway, from the reading that I have done about gays on the soaps, the writers usually chicken out when it comes to the love part of the gay story. It usually happens off screen or the gay guys soon leave town.

Posted by: The Iron Orchard | Jul 15, 2011 3:17:19 PM

9. Oooh, cliffhanger!

Posted by: JeffRob | Jul 15, 2011 3:36:20 PM

10. FYI...Victor is NOT Sonny's Grandfather. He is is Great-Uncle.

Posted by: mk | Jul 15, 2011 3:43:10 PM

11. Gays of Our Lives!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 15, 2011 4:46:52 PM

12. Before anyone knocks the acting (or writing) on soaps, I'd like to point out the following: most soap scenes are shot in one (only one) take, with, in recent years, no formal rehearsal beyond blocking rehearsals. Minor mistakes are left in and the directors and actors don't have the opportunity or authority to reshoot a scene to get the tone, line readings, or effectiveness "just right.". Soaps frequently produce 1-2 hours of on-air television A DAY. And they don't have on ond off seasons. The air 5 days a week, nearly every weekday a year. They produce hundreds of hours of television a year, from thousands of lines of dialogue, usually in a single take. It's about as close as you can get to live without actually being live.

By contrast, a half hour sitcom like MODERN FAMILY or hour drama like BROTHERS AND SISTERS, only has to have 13-16 episodes a year written (vs. 250+ a year for soaps) and an off-season to conceptual, write, and refine stories and scripts. Those shows are filmed with 5-10x the amount of rehearsal, filming, and reshoot time. Actors and directors can work on varied line readings, tonal shifts, and reshoot scenes multiple times, and edit all the various versions to get the best acted and written performance (after all, there is time to stop and rework a scene if the script isn't working). In one week, when a single half hour of HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER or hour of GLEE is shot, DAYS OF OUR LIVES has made 5-7 episodes in that same time, writing and memorizing hundreds upon hundreds of pages and moved on to the next week (no dark weeks, couple weeks of reruns, or summer break for them) of work...all making Mich, much less than prime-time counterparts.

What you see on the screen--when taken on its own merits and without comparison to prime-time shows with much more money, time, rehearsal, and flexibility--is actually pretty dam exceptional. The fans know that and expect/accept a certain amount of quality loss...as they say you can have something fast, cheap, or exceptional, but you can only pick two. In no field are all three ever possible, and soaps are not so much worse as they are different.

Posted by: BreckRoy | Jul 15, 2011 8:39:28 PM

13. No one has mentioned that the "great uncle" is played by John Aniston, as in Jennifer Aniston. He's her dad.

Posted by: luckylinden | Jul 15, 2011 11:50:29 PM

14. And @Breckroy is 100% right. Soaps get no respect, but partly because people honestly have no idea how they are made. Soap actors stun me with how professional and prolific they are.

Posted by: luckylinden | Jul 15, 2011 11:51:57 PM

15. I was about to make a snide comment on the horrible acting -- and then I read Breckroy's comment. Yeah, Breck, you're absolutely right: any deficiency in acting has less to do with the actors and more to do with the work load. My apologies for even thinking of what my snarky comment would be :p

On a second thought, though, I don't understand why soaps don't try to go for quality and not quantity. What if they cut their episodes by 25-50% and focused on making them be the best soaps on TV. I'd have to think that'd be the clear winner, but maybe I'd be wrong -- after all, I'm not a soaps guy.

Posted by: Ryan | Jul 15, 2011 11:59:39 PM

16. Wow, John Aniston, that's pretty cool. He seemed kind of familiar to me, and definitely has some gravitas. And that finally explains why Freddie Smith's character is named Sonny Kiriakis. Freddie Smith looks like he could be Greek himself, but "Freddie Smith" doesn't sound like a very Greek name.

Posted by: John | Jul 16, 2011 12:41:53 AM

17. GAWD that was like finger nails on a chalk board.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Jul 16, 2011 1:34:35 AM

18. Thanks for the videos! They are quite cool=)

Posted by: Aloittelijan Golfmailat | Jul 16, 2011 4:39:19 AM

19. I'm going to miss soap operas.

Posted by: Tom | Jul 16, 2011 9:28:31 AM

20. @breckroy...all one has to do is watch one episode of Days, and then one episode of Young And The Restless, to see that Days is a really really BAD show. The acting, the writing, the storylines (clones????). Both shows are not only produced in the same exact way, as you wrote, but BOTH are done by the same production company, Sony. There is no excuse for DOOL ( or should that be drool), other then it is a terrible show and is completly unwatchable.

Posted by: The Iron Orchard | Jul 16, 2011 10:48:44 AM

21. The Blond kid with the highlights is more suited to play the Gay Character.

Posted by: Kyle | Jul 17, 2011 1:17:31 AM

22. All the bad comments about Days... geez... maybe I'm crazy, but I love the show and so far I love the way they're approaching the gay storyline... with Sonny being out, and then seeing everyone's reactions... if the rumor is true about Will being gay, it'll be fun seeing him come to terms with all that. I'm looking forward tot the storyline and it be great people would be supportive of the show... the more successful the show is with its gay storyline opens things up to more people coming to terms with the fact it's OK to be gay...

Posted by: Rob | Jul 18, 2011 11:25:15 PM

23. I'm not a big fan os soap operas, either. But this latest storyline might come too little, too late to save "Days of Our Lives."

The fact is, NBC's sole surviving soap (and one of the last four remaining soaps on network daytime TV) has been steadily losing viewers for years. In this era of so-called "reality" series and shoutfests such as "The Maury Show" and "Jerry Springer,", who needs soap operas?

Posted by: SkeeterVT | Oct 23, 2011 10:03:21 PM