"Ex-Gays" | Gay Marriage | Jon Hamm | Mitt Romney | New York | News | Prince William | Tony Perkins | Virginia

BigGayDeal.com

News: South Korea, Closed Club, Ex-Gays, Eruption

TravisWall  road Family Research Council's Tony Perkins versus the Log Cabin Republicans.

road LISTEN: Video for Kelly Clarkson's new single, "Let Me Down."

road So You Think You Can Dance choreographer Travis Wall discusses the new season, "coming out" on Twitterand his boyfriend, with whom he'll soon star on a reality show.

road al-Qaeda is now training its terrorists on how to avoid getting caught up in a "honey trap," the term used for foreign spies posing as beautiful women. The first suggestion? Pray for strength. The second? Pretend you're gay: "The second thing is to find an excuse to get away from her that is realistic and sensible, such as you having a girlfriend for the past few years and you are loyal to her or you are ­homosexual."

road In related news, terrorists reportedly want implant bombs in their bodies to bypass airport security. Remember when flying wasn't scary?

road What would a royal Canadian tour be without a bit of hockey?

road Here's what Michele Bachmann had to say about nefarious "ex-gay" group Love Won Out in 2004: "I know that Love Won Out will present the truth about homosexuality and present it in a compassionate and loving manner."

road The 2018 Winter Olympics will be held in Pyeongchang, South Korea.

road If you're a New Yorker and want to be married on the first day same-sex marriages are legal, head to Binghamton.

Gambier  road Southern Australia's volcanoes, including Mount Gambier, are "overdue" for explosions.

road Women politicians are breaking glass ceilings, yes, but the Barbara Lee Family Foundation tells me that voters still treat them differently than men.

road How to spend $1 million at Tiffany & Co.

road As quixotic presidential candidate Herman Cain's campaign falls apart, his staffers are resorting to childish, discriminatory infighting, including calling each other gay.

road Is "ex-gay" leader Alan Chambers proof that LGBT people can "turn straight?" No, of course not, because there is no such thing as an "ex-gay," but that doesn't stop conservative publication Charisma from saying that it does.

road Mitt Romney raised $18.25 million for his presidential campaign last quarter, putting him way ahead of the GOP pack.

road Natalie Portman has reportedly named her son Alef, the Hebrew word for "leader."

road Scottish LGBT activists are rallying to stop homophobic businessman Brian Souter from being knighted: "The 'Withdraw Brian Souter’s Knighthood' campaign is calling for this knighthood to be retracted in support of the people who suffer from homophobic or transphobic bullying and harassment, and to send a clear message to homophobes that this kind of behaviour should no longer be overlooked when awarding British citizens this high honour."

Apex  road DC gay club Apex has closed its doors after nearly three decades.

road Nancy Grace pulled no punches in her reaction to the Casey Anthony verdict, saying, "The Devil dances tonight." It seems like a joke, but it's not.

road Opposition to marriage equality has waned a bit in Virginia, but the "nays" still have it.

road Three words: Jon. Hamm. Beard. 'Nuff said.

Comments

1. No, no it isn't. Aloof is the Hebrew word for General. Alef is the Hebrew word for Alef, the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet.

Posted by: Jonathan | Jul 6, 2011 2:49:24 PM

2. Travis Wall was closeted?

Posted by: Jerry | Jul 6, 2011 3:14:10 PM

3. I know this blog isn't the New York Times, but I'm starting to feel like it's turning into the Daily News. Belonsky's style is just a little too TMZ for my liking...

Posted by: Jesus | Jul 6, 2011 3:44:20 PM

4. Well, I am happy to see that my state is changing in favor of equality. The more people I talk to about it, the more people are realizing that gay marriage isn't anything to be afraid of.

I'm completely serious when I say this, but Ellen has a lot to do with attitudes changing. When you talk to people around here who were against it but are changing their mind they always mention Ellen and her wife.

Also, believe it or not, more and more churches here are in their own ways supporting equality. We have several gay couples in my parish and in the beginning people would whisper. The priest gave a lecture about Christ's attitude towards the disenfranchised, the sinners, the poor, and the broker-hearted and he gave a "look" that meant that he would be very disapproving of people that treated anyone poorly. Since that time, the gay families are treated better than everyone else to overcompensate.

I'm crossing fingers and saying prayers that once Cucinelli is out we'll get some real movement in the state.

Posted by: Rin | Jul 6, 2011 4:23:40 PM

5. Well, I'm getting tired of people whining about Andy's replacement. They are not the same person. They have a different style. Andrew is doing a fine job. If reading the blog this week pains you, then don't.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 6, 2011 5:56:52 PM

6. Belonsky is Gawker, did you mean Towleroad or were you talking of Gawker? I like Towleroad and it is the only site that I check multiple times a day and follow on twitter and RSS. I think Andy Towle does a good job of presenting really important issues and balancing it with occasional entertainment pieces. Besides a blog means the author can post whatever they like and Towleroad is a new aggregation.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Jul 6, 2011 5:59:46 PM

7. Terrorists are going to start implanting bombs (I assume rectally)? Its a good thing then that we have those back scatter scanners, right? Oh wait, no- those scanners can't pierce skin, making them worthless. I guess now we're going to have to get out the lube and spread em; who needs dignity over security anyway..?

Posted by: Griff | Jul 6, 2011 6:36:45 PM

8. @Fernlapante - if you read Towleroad so much, why aren't you aware that Andy is on vacation and Belonsky is filling in?

I enjoy Belonsky and while I love Andy's posts, Belonsky keeps me interested.

Posted by: Sam | Jul 6, 2011 7:22:01 PM

9. Apex closed?? boooo.

Posted by: Real | Jul 6, 2011 10:44:30 PM

10. CAN NATALIE PORTMAN GIVE HERSELF THE "HEBREW" NAME FOR IMPOSTER?? THE HEBRAIC LANGUAGE IS TRACED STRAIGHT OTO EASTERN AFRICA....ETHIOPIA! THEY STILL SPEAK TO THIS DAY THE ORIGINAL FORM...."AMHARIC"...GOOGLE IT....SHE IS A IMPOSTER...STEALING SOMEONE ELSES HERITAGE..

Posted by: Shannon | Jul 7, 2011 1:37:03 AM

11. Nancy Grace IS a joke.

Posted by: Jack M | Jul 7, 2011 9:03:03 AM