Andrew Cuomo | Gay Marriage | Lady Gaga | Music | News | Newt Gingrich | Philadelphia | Television

News: Casey Anthony, Gingrich's Finances, Cuomo, Sex Warning

CaseyAnthony  road Just when you thought the Republican presidential field couldn't get any crazier, former KKK leader David Duke reportedly wants to make a bid for the White House.

road After a 34-day trial and 10 hours of jury deliberation, Casey Anthony has been found not guilty of first-degree murder, aggravated child abuse and aggravated manslaughter in the 2008 death of her daughter, Caylee. She has, however, been found guilty on four counts of providing false information to the police, and faces up to four years in prison.

road Thomas Jane's Hung character, a male prostitute, may soon get a transgender girlfriend.

road LISTEN: French DJ Monsieur Adi remixes Madonna's "Frozen."

Newt_Gingrich  road Lady Gaga told The Advocate that she does not use LGBT politics to sell her records: “To say that I would use the gay community to sell records is probably one of the most ridiculous statements anyone can make about me as a person... I would say the top thing I think about every single day of my life, other than my fans, loving the music, and my family being healthy, is social justice and equality.”

road Lindsay Lohan appears on the cover of Italy's Vanity Fair.

road Want to control your home with your thoughts? Now you can.

road Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich is lowering fundraising expectations after lackluster second quarter haul.

road Sean Penn looks fit at fifty.

road Meanwhile, in other Vanity Fair news, nobody bought the Justin Bieber issue. Guess this means they'll go back to lusting after the Kennedy clan, as usual.

road The Princess Bible. Yes, it's true.

SeanPennBeach  road Philadelphia wooed big gay conventions.

road Liberals and progressives have been bending over backwards to congratulate New York Governor Andrew Cuomo for marriage equality, but David Sirota points out that the Democrat isn't as progressive as people believe: "When Andrew Cuomo's record is evaluated as a whole, it's clear that his tolerance on social issues combined with his lockstep corporatism on economic issues makes him not some proud representative of the 'Democratic wing of the Democratic Party,' but rather what is typically called a standard-issue Northeastern Republican."

road Germany's Green Party warns citizens of sex toys' hidden dangers.

road Prince William talks trash during Canadian boat race.

road End of the gay bar?

road Zac Efron also looks quite nice without a shirt.

road Now that he's out and proud, Ricky Martin says he feels "protected" by LGBT communities: "I feel protected. I don’t feel alone. Because sometimes when you’re quiet about yourself, you feel all alone. And all of a sudden you come out and you have this amazing community, the LGBT community, and LGBT-friendly people, who are giving you nothing but love."

road Civil unions may have been signed into law in Rhode Island this weekend, but marriage advocates vow to keep fighting for full equality.

road Bette Midler wants to be your gay wedding singer.

Comments

1. Not guilty?! Ugh. Ladies and gentlemen, meet O.Jane Simpson.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Jul 5, 2011 3:40:47 PM

2. Justin Bieber, your 14th minute of fame has just ended.

Posted by: Rad | Jul 5, 2011 3:56:33 PM

3. I would like for someone to explain to me why gay bars are supposedly going extinct. I do think it is true--on the rare occasions I go to one nowadays, most of the folks are in my age group (I am 53).

Some have suggested that everyone meets online now, but I don't buy that, and even if I did, young people everywhere like to party.....and I just find it hard to believe that two guys can dance with each other--much less kiss each other--in a club with a mostly straight clientele and it be a total non-issue.

Anybody care to enlighten me?

Posted by: Rick | Jul 5, 2011 4:07:08 PM

4. @Rick - I think it depends on the area you live in. I live in Chicago and the 25+ gay bars in the Boystown neighborhood alone are jam packed with young straight men almost every night of the week. However, I have been to gay bars in smaller cities (Saginaw, MI) and they were virtually empty on a Saturday night.

Perhaps because gays are generally more accepted the youth might not find it necessary to go to a gay specific bar. Or if they live in an area where they are generally NOT accepted they don't feel safe in a gay bar for fear someone might spot them going in and out.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Jul 5, 2011 4:31:33 PM

5. @FernLaPlante I don't really understand your first paragraph. You said that gay bars are jam-packed with young straight men......did you mean young straight men with their girlfriends? or were you suggesting that straight men now just hang out in large numbers in gay bars? And if a bar is jam-packed with straight men, then why would it be considered a gay bar?

Posted by: Rick | Jul 5, 2011 4:42:21 PM

6. Casey Anthony was judged innocent before the trial ever started, and not it an "innocent until proven guilty" sort of way. The vagina defense is almost impossible to overcome, even when a woman kills her own child.

Posted by: Jerry | Jul 5, 2011 4:46:06 PM

7. So Bette Midler, who surprisingly stated her opposition to gay marriage a year or two ago, is now ready to cash in?

Posted by: Jerry | Jul 5, 2011 4:50:47 PM

8. I haven't been to a gay bar in several years. Pubs and bars aren't as hostile as they used to be ten years ago. Although you certainly can't get away with some of the behavior that is sometime seen in gay bars, it's generally a non-issue. I'm in Northern VA close to DC and the sports bar down the street is regularly busy with a wide range of people, including plenty of open gays and lesbians. No one cares if you're gay or not as long as you act appropriately and don't go off trying to drill holes in the bathroom stalls.

Posted by: Drew | Jul 5, 2011 4:51:56 PM

9. Absolutely disgusting, the puff piece The Advocate is running on Lady Gaga. They know it's scandalous, so they're not allowing comments (at least, they didn't when I read it). Some of those staffers over there are so besotted with Stefani Germanotta, I think they would drink her dirty bath water.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Jul 5, 2011 4:52:15 PM

10. She is not OJ Simpson. In the OJ Simpson case, the prosecution didn't even need to prove how the victims were killed...it was pretty clear.

There was even less evidence in this case than that.

I think the OJ verdict was a travesty, but this one is a bit more sensible considering the failure of the prosecution to even establish a theory surrounding Caylee's death, which they just admitted on TV was their biggest obstacle to a conviction.

I'd rather live under a system where a few guilty people go free than live in one where we convict without proof and innocent people lose their freedom.

Posted by: Sam | Jul 5, 2011 4:54:18 PM

11. Casey Anthony does not dace 4 years in prison. She has been found guilty of a misdemeanor and will get time served. The prosecution failed. The media convicted her before the jury started. It became a circus when Nancy Grace plucked this case out of obscurity.

Posted by: Name: | Jul 5, 2011 5:02:50 PM

12. "I find it really hard to believe that, even among twenty-somethings, gay men and straight men just hang around with each other as "buds" these days. We haven't come THAT far, yet......"

That's exactly what I've been doing since I was a teenager in 1980. I've lived everywhere from backwaters to the largest cities in the US and it's been the same everywhere for thirty years. Straight people are the majority of people, so, not surprisingly -- at least to me -- straight men have been the majority of my men friends.

Meanwhile, yes, young men meet online. It's more efficient, they don't have to put up with old men (like me) "leering" at them, and it fits into the rest of their lifestyle. Big city clubs will always exist, but the smalltown gay bar? The Internet is killing them, just like it's killed smalltown bookstores or anything else you can get online faster and better.

Posted by: almostfifty | Jul 5, 2011 5:07:14 PM

13. @AlmostFifty Well, gee, that's great--I am so glad to hear that homophobia is totally a thing of the past and that all straight men are now totally cool about gayness! That being the case, why do we even need a movement any more? Let's just disband it since we are all just destined to live happily ever after in perfect harmony with each other?(Sarcasm intended)

As for guys meeting online, that is nothing but an updated version of the newspaper classifieds that existed in the 70's and the "meet-by-phone" options that existed in the 80's. Yeah, you can post photos, but guess what?--you can post fake photos or outdated photos, just as you used to be able to lie about your appearance on the phone.

And all those means were and are, actually, INEFFICIENT compared to a bar--because if you decide you are interest in meeting someone on the basis of an Internet exchange, you have to make an effort to go meet that one individual, who may turn out in person to be nothing like their Internet persona, including their appearance.....whereas in a bar, you can observe in the flesh dozens of "eligibles" and rule out all the ones you are not interested in with one glance.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 5, 2011 5:20:17 PM

14. I'm 39 and 95% of my friends are straight. Always have been. Some of the straights think gay relationships are interesting (not in a mocking way, just how they differ from straight ones), some are curious (tired of those; usually teases), and most just don't care. I have friends from 22 to 68. Gay is not an issue in most urban areas and, increasingly, everywhere else. I've always had straight "buds."

Course, it doesn't hurt that I'm painfully intelligent and incredibly attractive.

Kidding.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 5, 2011 5:21:50 PM

15. Lady Gaga was tagged but not Madonna? SHAME.

I'm a huge fan of Madonna, but I have to say, I don't like any of Monsieur Adi's remixes of her songs. At all.

Posted by: finkles2000 | Jul 5, 2011 5:28:21 PM

16. @Rick, I don't know what to tell you. I don't know what choices you've made or how or where you've lived. I can only tell you that the life I've known seems to be nothing like the life you've known. I prefer mine, but, hopefully, you prefer yours.

You have a point about the pitfalls of meeting people online, but you're mistaken about it not being efficient or being inferior to meeting in a bar. In a bar, you have to have a conversation, you have to seduce, you have to do the whole song and dance -- and then you still don't know exactly what you have until you take it home and get it unwrapped. Online, you just order take-out or home delivery. Infinitely more efficient.

Online is an easy alternative to actually going to a bar and spending money and time that could be better spent elsewhere. And meeting in a bar means you're only meeting people who go to bars. Online allows you to both expand and focus your search.

Phone lines and personal ads are the grandfathers of online hook-ups, but they have as much in common with each other as a Model T does to a Prius.

Posted by: almostfifty | Jul 5, 2011 8:29:50 PM

17. Only an idiot would believe Lady Gaga doesn't factor in the gay club-going demographic when she considers her next track, or outfit, or stage appearance. She knows which side her bread is buttered on, but if she comes out and says so it's crass.

Posted by: foobar | Jul 5, 2011 10:24:45 PM

18. Bette Midler has never opposed gay marriage.

Posted by: MrJ | Jul 5, 2011 10:53:15 PM

19. Please, please let Zac Efron's "movie career" be over with so that he would spend time actually doing something constructive. It always surprises me how someone with so little talent is referred to as "actor".

And I'd totally hit Sean Penn from every side. I've to say that he's one of those 50+ that I'm horribly attracted to. I bet he's real dirty in bed. LIKE!

Posted by: gayalltheway | Jul 5, 2011 11:25:22 PM

20. MRJ - Actually Bette had a hard time with the concept of gay marriage. Just do a search on Towleroad to see. At least she has 'evolved.' hmmm....

Posted by: k | Jul 6, 2011 12:43:12 AM

21. Why does Zac Efron always look dirty whenever he's shirtless?

Posted by: DD | Jul 6, 2011 12:44:35 AM

22. Screw you Bette. Remember your opposition on cnnn Larry King Live questioning the need for gay marriage since all the gay men you knew slept around. Stay away from my wedding has been.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 6, 2011 1:47:17 AM

23. "I find it really hard to believe that, even among twenty-somethings, gay men and straight men just hang around with each other as "buds" these days. We haven't come THAT far, yet......"

Well, your disbelief is unjustified, at least in the general sense. I'm not saying all straight men of all ages in the world are accepting of gay men, but my nearest and dearest friends are all straight men, and where I live, they are definitely the rule, not the exception. Yes, many gay men exclusively congregate with other gay men, but I have no interest in ghettoizing myself so.

"you have to make an effort to go meet that one individual, who may turn out in person to be nothing like their Internet persona, including their appearance.....whereas in a bar, you can observe in the flesh dozens of "eligibles" and rule out all the ones you are not interested in with one glance."

I have no problem in making this supposed 'effort'. And I dislike meeting men in bars for the very reason you're exalting - ruling someone out with one glance. I'd like to give someone the benefit of the doubt and think that there might be more to them than one momentary glance in a dimly-lit establishment where people are consciously degrading their critical faculties.

Additionally, some of us tend to introverted - going to a crowded environment to strike up awkward conversation with strangers never gets any easier, and I often find I make a much better impression with someone if I chat with them online.

If it works for you, great. But frankly, I would not want to live in a world where I couldn't befriend straight men or skip the bar scene in order to meet someone interesting.

Posted by: Nat | Jul 6, 2011 11:12:05 AM

24. "In a bar, you have to have a conversation, you have to seduce, you have to do the whole song and dance."

Wow, heaven forbid you have to get to know someone even slightly and exhibit personality before you have sex with them. I could never have sex with someone I don't know in the slightest. For those who can, great---I'm almost envious. But I could never get too excited about a total, complete stranger unless they were hot as hell.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 7, 2011 5:12:23 AM

25. Well, that maybe the hottest competition had ever said. I’m sure many people had joined it and have fun, me either will have fun with it. I’m looking forward for its success since before.

Posted by: love dolls | Jul 16, 2011 8:10:41 AM