Comments

1. Mark says

Dumb as hell. You want Ernie to go from taking bubble baths with a rubber duckie to marrying Bert? So what’s next–are they going to start a petition to have Big Bird come out as intersex–and Grover as bisexual?

C’mon..crap like this just becomes fodder for anti-gay wingnuts–which only serves to hurt the real issue of LGBT rights for real people.

2. Gregoire says

This is really ridiculous. They’re treasured children’s characters. They don’t have a sexuality.

Since we’re introducing sexuality into these characters, should we also see Oscar The Grouch on the dating scene and putting up a Match.com ad? Grover dealing with a broken heart by medicating with cheap booze? Big Bird dealing with a burning sensation ‘down there’?

3. Married in MA says

I think it would be awfully cute, but it’s never going to happen except in a parody. It would all be worthwhile to see a few heads explode in any case.

4. gaylib says

Kermit and Ms. Piggy got married, so why not? I think some of you must be sock-puppets for Oscar the grouch!

5. Zlick says

Yeah, I think it’s pretty dumb, too. But Kermit was eventually hit puberty (though perhaps not during his Sesame Street run), so why not Bert and Ernie? They may be on a kids’ show, but I don’t recall them being portrayed AS children.

6. justme says

Bert and Ernie live alone and aren’t supported or in any way given care by anyone else, so, if they’re children, they’re the most abandoned and neglected children on television.

Since I was a kid, they were always two adult men living together to me. I don’t need them married or explicitly gay to think they’re great muppety role models. But Sesame Street is all about diversity and equality so acknowledging the gays in some way would be appropriate.

7. Vladd says

Excellent points. I never followed Sesame Street that closely (The Electric Company was my show), so I guess I failed to think it through. Thanks for enlightening me.

8. Gregoire says

Kermit and Miss Piggy were ADULT Muppets. Piggy was never on Sesame Street. Burt and Ernie are meant to have the mentalities of young children. As are Oscar/Grover and the other SS-only figures. They are not part of the ‘adult’ Muppets Universe canon of the variety show and films. Good Lord, must I teach you all your Muppet history?!

9. luminum says

They’d have to officially be gay to get married to each other first. And quite frankly, the show has always been happy to portray them and their skits as the lives of funny roommates. That the creators of this petition on Change.org (which has stated over at Bilerco Project that it is the petition of those individuals alone and not Change.org itself http://www.bilerico.com/2011/08/changeorg_pressures_ernie_and_bert_to_marry.php#comments) demand that they get married when they have been stated canonically to not be gay (http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/gaymuppet.asp), is just plain stupid.

You might advocate for a trans muppet or a same-sex couple of muppets, but this is just stupid. And on top of that, it dares to invoke the serious need of LGBT youth as a reason for it to be done. I hate how the LGBT youth need for assistance is exploited for every little thing now.

10. Vladd says

Gregoire, you said what I was thinking on some level but could not manage to put into words. Thank you.

11. says

I give this marriage my personal blessing, though I think a little round orange stud like Ernie could do better than that geek Bert.

12. Yuki says

Honestly, I don’t think that Twitter comment was a big deal at all. The word IS “mohawk”, guys; doesn’t mean that he was coming out.

13. Vladd says

ernie and bert’s parents are hanging out with the parents of lucy, linus, schroeder, and charlie brown.

14. Brian in Texas says

As a child who was pre-school age during the late 80s; I ALWAYS thought of Bert and Ernie as 2 ADULT men sharing a place together on Sesame Street in NY. It just taught me that there was nothing odd about two grown men sharing a place together who obviously had affection for one another. This was before I knew anything about gay or str8. They also had adult human characters who were married on the show.

15. jaragon says

It would be a lot more constructive for kids to see either an adult gay person on the show or better yet a gay or lesbian family with children on Sesame Street.

16. Sarina says

This just adds fuel to the fire of homophobic paranoids. There are more important issues than trying to announce Bert and Ernie as a married gay couple. What’s next? Tinkerbell is a lipstick lesbian?
    Subtext is far more interesting and this kind of thing only makes the gay community, which I happen to be a part of, bad.

17. PilateError says

At first I thought Muppets had no romantic preference, then Kermit and Ms. Piggy came to mind…so based on if heterosexuality is represented in the Muppet world, why not homosexuality? Genitals don’t always have to plays a part to express affection, particularly on a children’s show.

18. jaragon says

This might sound like cute harmless fun but you know the religious right will say it’s another example of the gay agenda to corrupt the morals of innocent children.

19. RedCedar says

“I think the whole petition thing is silly, but also somewhat “cute” in away. Bert and Ernie have my blessing if they choose to get married.

So whether Bert and Ernie are gay or straight, or whether they get married or not it sends a great message to kids about diversity in living arrangements and relationships even before the kid knows what gay or str8 is.”

And, having been born in 1960, I’m more than old enough to be your father. Regardless, I completely agree with you!

I was 10, 11, or 12 the first time I saw Sesame Street (Bert & Ernie included), and in retrospect I completely agree with your analysis.