Discrimination | Evangelical Christians | Iowa | News

BigGayDeal.com

Iowa Baker Refuses to Create Wedding Cake for Lesbian Couple, Cites Her Christian Beliefs

Childress

Lesbian couple Trina Vodraska and Janelle Sievers went to Victoria Childress for their wedding cake. At a taste-testing appointment they were told that she wouldn't do it for them because it conflicts with ther Christian beliefs.

LesbiancoupleSaid Childress: "I didn't do the cake because of my convictions for their lifestyle. It is my right as a business owner. It is my right, and it's not to discriminate against them. It's not so much to do with them, it's to do with me and my walk with God and what I will answer (to) him for."

The couple says it was degrading: "It was like she chastised us for wanting to do business with her. I know Jesus loves me. I didn't need her to tell me that. I didn't go there for that. I just wanted to go there for a cake."

Video interview with Childress HERE.

Local bakers are weighing in on the issue, some noting that Childress is just a dumb businesswoman, others noting that she just isn't a real Christian:

Dana Schaub and Cythia Hendrickson are co-owners of The Devilsih Pig Bakery. Together, they say, what happened was not right.

"To have someone say, 'Well I'm sorry because your lifestyle is different from mine, I'm not going to take care of you and help you. And I don't want your business,' It's wrong on so many levels," said Schaub. Hendrickson said proclaimed Christians shouldn't judge. "As Christians, we are supposed to be unselfish, and do things for the greatest good of mankind, and not pass judgment," said Hendrickson.

Comments

1. i mean, would you really eat anything
    made by this ridiculous looking freak?

Posted by: normadesmond | Nov 14, 2011 10:07:11 AM

2. Who cares? She has every right to do this, and in turn, we have every right not to give her any of our money.

Posted by: BC | Nov 14, 2011 10:08:53 AM

3. she's not a christian! she's a pharisee! what the heck does "walk with God" even mean?

Posted by: allan | Nov 14, 2011 10:12:27 AM

4. I wonder what the reaction would be if a Christian customer had been turned away by a business owner citing her Muslim beliefs?

Posted by: John Equality | Nov 14, 2011 10:12:46 AM

5. First question: Why would you do business with a woman who looks like a meth addict?

Second question: Has this creature ever seen the god she walks with? Because based on her response, it has horns with a pitchfork.

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Nov 14, 2011 10:13:37 AM

6. How long does it take for jeebus to draw those eyebrows on her face and aqua net that hair into place?

Posted by: Mark | Nov 14, 2011 10:15:48 AM

7. Yeah, it's clearly the gay couple who discriminated against her beliefs /sarcasm

And just because she has the legal right (which isn't even true in all states by the way), doesn't make it morally or ethically correct. That's the real point here

Posted by: Steve | Nov 14, 2011 10:16:52 AM

8. If she wants to be a stupid businesswoman, let her be one. Who cares? These lesbians making this a news story is exactly what drives people to oppose gay marriage because they fear somehow they can't think what they want to think about gays. It's these situations that drive people to advocate for religious exemptions to gay marriage as a compromise and hold up the process.

Let crazy religious bigots be crazy religious bigots. It does not matter to me if you don't like me. Take your cake and shove it. Someone else will take my money. Why is this a news story?

Posted by: Banter | Nov 14, 2011 10:16:53 AM

9. Of course the local bakers are calling her a dumb businesswoman. Doesn't she not get it? Pissing off the gays is a no-no, Ms. Childress.

Also, obviously, this isn't very Christian behavior. But in the eyes of people like Ms. Childress, it's perfectly OK to denigrate our sexuality, and they feel totally entitled in doing so. Says a lot about her character.

Well, time for a boycott of her business. Is sexual orientation a protected class in Iowa?

Posted by: Francis | Nov 14, 2011 10:17:59 AM

10. BC is correct. She has the right to refuse anyone business. So does anyone in business.

Probably a smart move, because now look at all the attention she's being given and think of all the other narrow-minded "christian" folks that will flock to support her!

Posted by: Aaron C. Yeagle | Nov 14, 2011 10:19:16 AM

11. As a waiter for years in college I would happily part right wing fundos from their hard earned money and then go blow it in the gay bar attempting to get me some good "man on man"......convictions dont put food on the table

Posted by: stevenelliot | Nov 14, 2011 10:20:31 AM

12. Has she ever made a wedding cake for people where it's the 2 or (2+) wedding for one or both parties? If so, the whole "Christian values" thing is pretty much just an excuse to say "Ooo. Lesbians are icky." under the guise of religious sanction. But y'know, there are *plenty* of people who could use the money, and I'm sure someone would like to help out the nice couple and make them a cake.

Posted by: justinw | Nov 14, 2011 10:23:30 AM

13. As a small business owner, I agree with her assertion that she has a right to not do business with whomever she chooses not to - Good business practice or awful.

What I disagree with her on is her assertion that this is not discrimination. When you choose to say I will not do business with you based on my judgement of your lifestyle, that is the very definition of discrimination.

Too many in the evangelical Christian community think they can do whatever they want and excuse it with "I'm a Christian". It reminds me of that Geico commercial with the talking pothole: "Oh, look at that I raped and murdered your family, well its OK I'm a Christian. Soooo Sorry. We'll enjoy damnation for all eternity in hell you filthy pagan, and remember I love you". It just nauseates me.

I AM A Christian. I have read the entire Bible many times. Whether you abide by Leviticus (and lets be honest, not even the most conservative Jews do, if they have indoor plumbing) or Romans or any of the other tortured passages I do not recall anywhere where it says "thou shalt not provide pastries to those who sin".

I don't believe this has anything to do with her walk with God, it has more to do with her Walk with Maggie and Bob van Der Plaats. Cue the Marriage Anti-Defamation League video and the cries of Homo Economic Terrorism against her.

Posted by: Photoman | Nov 14, 2011 10:24:32 AM

14. who painted her face on? she literally looks like a puppet. wait, isn't it against the bible to make yourself look like the whore of babylon?
    unfortunately, for many christians, faith and ignorance are the same thing. i mean, does she really believe jesus is going to cast her soul unto satan because she baked a cake? that's cuckoo!!

Posted by: kodiak | Nov 14, 2011 10:34:12 AM

15. To these people blathering "She has the right to refuse anyone business. So does anyone in business."

In many states, this is not correct. People cannot refuse service to customers based on race, disability, sexual orientation, etc., etc.

This is why the lesbians in New Mexico successfully sued the photographer who refused their business.

Posted by: homer | Nov 14, 2011 10:35:37 AM

16. My tolerance for christians has long since reached zero.
    Even in isolated areas, there are almost always ways to avoid doing business with them if you try.
    And you should.
    Why give money to people who are trying to recreate the 3rd Reich?

Posted by: enough already | Nov 14, 2011 10:41:42 AM

17. seperated at birth?

Posted by: gaylib | Nov 14, 2011 10:43:16 AM

18. I get how you'll be offended and angry when you first hear it, but if she's not a public institution, why even bother taking action against her?

What they did here is good enough: Accept that she's a homophobe hiding behind her interpretation of the Bible and take your business elsewhere, being sure to inform people you know (and others) that she is a homophobe and allow them to make their future purchasing decisions based on that information.

Posted by: luminum | Nov 14, 2011 10:48:36 AM

19. Anybody else loving the fact that, to find someone to refute a "Christian" businesswoman, they turn to a place called The Devilish Pig?

Posted by: Brian | Nov 14, 2011 10:49:10 AM

20. at least i hope the baker showed them where the "gays only" drinking fountain was.

Posted by: kodiak | Nov 14, 2011 10:54:20 AM

21. Question: I know they trot out the Leviticus stuff against gay men (though not shellfish), but is there actually anything in the Bible that preaches against lesbians?

Posted by: tranquilo | Nov 14, 2011 10:54:47 AM

22. Iowa Law prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation. So no, she does not have the right to refuse them service.

Posted by: Carlie | Nov 14, 2011 11:07:21 AM

23. @Homer yet it IS legal in Iowa. Look, if this were a bar or restaurant turning away a gay couple I'd feel differently. Those are clearly places of "public accomodation". Yet to force someone to provide a service like this? I despise her reasons and would love to see her business boycotted into the ground, but this I'm willing to let go. We can't use the law to force everyone to conform to what we believe, that's precisely what we object to the social cons doing. Besides, knowing what she believes I wouldn't want to patronize her business let alone trust that any cake bought from her would be up to par.

Posted by: JohnAGJ | Nov 14, 2011 11:07:44 AM

24. I'll bet she would have make Kim Kardashian's cake.

Posted by: KJ | Nov 14, 2011 11:11:59 AM

25. @Tranquilo: On the surface, yes. See Romans 1:26-27. There is some dispute whether this is meant to include all homosexual behavior, if Paul had temple prostitution in mind (a big thing among pagan cults at the time), or if this is something that can be dismissed as just Paul's own cultural views (e.g. women covering their hair in 1 Corinthians 11:6, since such women were considered to be whores in ancient Corinth).

Posted by: JohnAGJ | Nov 14, 2011 11:12:09 AM