Israel | Kansas | Sam Brownback | Science

Sam Brownback's Office Upset Over Teenager's Tweet

SamBrownbackOnce upon a time, Kansas's new governor, Sam Brownback, wanted to lead the free world. He hated gays and their "marriages," he was dog-tired of America's long moral decline, and most importantly, he was on a first-name basis with the Supreme Creator of The Universe. God, as Sam called him, really wanted Sam to be the President of The United States of America. And so, in 2008, then-Senator Brownback ran for that office on a platform of All Jesus, All The Time.

But Sam was wrong about God's plans for him, and now the governor's ambitions are more modest. Mostly, it seems, he just wants high schoolers to stop making fun of him. This week, Gawker reports on Kansas high school senior Emma Sullivan, who visited Topeka on a field trip to see the governor speak. After her visit, Emma Tweeted of her time with the anti-gay, anti-Palestinian, anti-evolution, anti-stem-cell-research governor:

just made mean comments at gov brownback and told him he sucked, in person #heblowsalot

Apparently, Emma Sullivan didn't actually tell Gov. Brownback that he "sucked, in person." Still, she thinks he sucks. So -- how did Gov. Brownback respond to this teenager's assault on his non-sucktitude?

His staff contacted her school's principal. Now, Emma's got to write a letter to the governor apologizing for voicing her opinions.

Comments

1. He not only sucks, he swallows.

It's up to this girl to decide if her free speech was impinged enough to call the ACLU. After writing the letter "I'm sorry you didn't like my opinion.", I think school officials should just pull up their pants, stand up and do their fricking jobs of educating the kids rather than bending over to a public figure who didn't like a private citizen's opinion. I think the ACLU would LOVE this case.

Posted by: Michael Vilain | Nov 26, 2011 10:42:20 AM

2. People -- even teenagers -- should not be forced to apologize for something unless they are actually sorry. The whole idea of a forced apology is an oxymoron. Unless she has actually changed her mind -- leave her alone. It's her opinion and she's entitled to it. (And she is 100 percent correct about Brownback)

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Nov 26, 2011 10:44:28 AM

3. I'm so sorry that you suck, Governor.

Posted by: Gary | Nov 26, 2011 10:44:43 AM

4. Has the governor ever apologized for his statements about LGBT people?

Posted by: john patrick | Nov 26, 2011 10:47:54 AM

5. How is it legal for her school to force her to apologize? Are they threatening to expel her for voicing her opinion? That's a blatant violation of free speech, not to mention really pathetic on the part of Governor Browneye.

Posted by: Jeremy | Nov 26, 2011 10:53:28 AM

6. Don't you love how the GOP keeps trying to convince America that they are the tough party? The Party of Strength etc... and yet all I hear from them constantly is "Boo Hoo, the people hurt my feelings, you need to apologize to me!" Seriously, Sara Palin constantly refused to answer questions by claiming they were only being asked of her because she was a woman. Romney keeps deflecting any criticism saying it's only aimed at him because he's Mormon, Bachman claims the same thing because of her sex and religion etc.. The GOP now more resembles Cindy Brady tattling to their mommies more than they resemble a political party.

Posted by: Cam | Nov 26, 2011 10:53:44 AM

7. My question is where are her parents? And if this was my child, I wish they would... let's just say that pigs would fly before that apology was issued.

Posted by: Dr. Verdon Coleman | Nov 26, 2011 10:57:15 AM

8. Apparently Gov. Brownback wants to teach kids early on that anyone with contrary sentiments should keep their opinions to themselves.

Posted by: Malfuric | Nov 26, 2011 10:59:32 AM

9. Gee, Adol-uh, Sam sounds like he's following in the footsteps of our enemy from the 40s. Staff that kowtows to him, anti-gay, anti-free speech, anti-science, and a religious zealot. If a "Berlin" wall goes up around Kansas I would not be surprised!

Posted by: Joan | Nov 26, 2011 11:01:01 AM

10. I feel so sorry the Governor got his feelings hurt. Poor thing can't take a little criticism so he bullies a school girl. Shame on you.

Posted by: Joe Bernard | Nov 26, 2011 11:10:11 AM

11. Lots of fun watching @govsambrownback on twitter. It does seem the 18 year old girl is taking the bigot down at the knees. Also watch the hash tag #heblowsalot.

Posted by: Jeff | Nov 26, 2011 11:10:43 AM

12. Really, this kid should craft the non-apology of all time, just like every anti-gay celebrity and politician does. Along the "I'm sorry if my telling the truth hurt your feelings, and I'm sorry that you don't understand and uphold the freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution you swore an oath to uphold" sort of lines, but it could be much better crafted.

And, if either the school or the governor wants to go on record that those sort of statements aren't a real apology, that should be taken down and used as a weapon against every one of these assholes in the future.

At the very least, the media needs to run with this - he sure has his priorities straight.

Posted by: Lymis | Nov 26, 2011 11:12:36 AM

13. But he probably trashes the LGBT community under the guise of "religious freedom" right? UGH. She shouldn't apologize at all. #HeDoesSuck #WhatDoYouExpectFromKansas #HomeOfWestboro

Posted by: ChrisQ | Nov 26, 2011 11:14:34 AM

14. I think he should just take his marbles and go home.

Posted by: topdawg | Nov 26, 2011 11:19:50 AM

15. Dear Suckhole,

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for my recent comments on how much you suck as an elected public official.
    It sucks that you were offended by my saying that you suck. It was never my intention to indicate that you can put a vacuum to shame,
    or intimate that your oral suction capabilities were amiss or had gone awry, or perhaps invite comparison between you and lampreys.
    But words have been known to miss the mark, and misunderstandings can so easily arise in our wonderful era of free speech. It sucks that you were personally offended by my response to your sucky views, and I'm amazed how you sucked it up and contacted my school and began the legislative process that results in this letter of apology for saying you suck.
    Thank you for illuminating how free speech in this country works for those in power! Now I'm beginning to see your point of view, which I would surmise as "It sucks not to be me."
    In closing, let me once again offer my apology regarding your awesome oral ability to draw into the mouth by moving your tongue and lips.

You Suck Wads,

Emma

Posted by: kodiak | Nov 26, 2011 11:27:24 AM

16. The ACLU will be all over this.

Posted by: Marc C | Nov 26, 2011 11:30:19 AM

17. I enjoyed every word of that intro Brandon. Nice job.

Posted by: uffda | Nov 26, 2011 11:35:16 AM

18. Hopefully, her apology will ready something like this: "Dear Governor-- Im sorry you suck. Period."

Posted by: Ron | Nov 26, 2011 11:44:33 AM

19. I actually don't care about this as a free speech issue. This is her opportunity to write him a well thought-out letter detailing her disagreements with him. Sounds like she could use a lesson in productive ways to express dissent.

Posted by: Anon, anon | Nov 26, 2011 11:47:04 AM

20. Dear Anon,Anon--

I am sure that a well thought out letter would have received a form letter reply. Frankly, I think voicing disgust gets right to the heart of the matter. And further, I think the adult way for the governor to respond to the situation would have been a thoughtful letter to the girl rather than strong arming the authorities. Even further, I think the school should have responded to Brownback that they cannot police the internet to make their students be polite...it simply is none of their business and not their job.

Posted by: candideinnc | Nov 26, 2011 12:17:43 PM

21. Emma:
    Do NOT write that letter. You were exercising your right to free speech! Under no circumstances should you allow the likes of a Sam Brownback infringe on that or any other right! I'm in kansas cand I will publicly support you in any way possible.

Posted by: Sean | Nov 26, 2011 12:32:15 PM

22. Freedom is Slavery folks. If you criticize the Great Governor the reeducation camp officials will make you take it all back in the name of Loyalty to the Leader.

Posted by: Jason 2 | Nov 26, 2011 12:35:34 PM

23. Thanks, Uffda. Hope youre having an awesome weekend.

- BKT

Posted by: Brandon K. Thorp | Nov 26, 2011 12:37:26 PM

24. I always love it when politician lie about how a rival apologized. (Smith called me the other day to say how sorry he was... and Smith is like, I did what??)

While we can guess why she doesn't like the Gov. It would be better for her to explain in detail why she detests him so, perhaps in a blog as I doubt she'd get a letter to a newspaper published.

Posted by: anon | Nov 26, 2011 12:43:06 PM

25. Governor I am really sorry that you suck but the fact remains the same, in my mind you will still suck weather I say I'm sorry or not, so don't blame be because you suck and I truly mean that in a bad way
    There you go Emma just cut & paste