Comments

1. Dave says

She has yet to reach out to the injured students. She deliberately called out police in riot gear to do their worst on her own students, with the other horrific events of the week in OWS news still fresh. She is culpable for assault and deserves to be in prison, but has she been arrested and pepper sprayed down her throat yet? These kids are so brave and inspiring and Katehi will go down in history for what she did.

2. say what says

adam & sargon

Katehi said she takes “full responsibility for the incident”

google is your friend people
    and as stated before, the faculty are calling on her to resign with 150 faculty workers signing on to the call

3. Michael Bedwell says

I applaud their creativity and discipline, but if things do not get better, urge them to remember, “It’s not the earth the meek inherit but the dirt.”

4. lessthan says

The reason that people are blaming her is that the exact same thing happened at UC Berkley recently and she still gave her okay to have the police come in and ‘disburse’ the protestors.

5. Max says

I’m not condemning anyone until I know what the protesters did before they got sprayed. The media aren’t going to investigate, so I guess we’ll never know.

6. say what says

max

has the lead up to the pepper spray

students were sitting on the ground and chanting

All the police had to do was walk up to them and carry them off 1 by 1 to the paddy wagons as is evident by the students preparing for such with their arms linked while siting down

7. kit says

If you go to change.org, you can sign a petition to ask her to resign. Over 20,000 people have already signed it. She is a disgrace to the principles of education (and of the Constitution…)

8. Max says

Say What, what happened before the riot police arrived? Students sit in groups on campus grounds every day. I’m sure there is more to this story than we are being shown.

However, based on that alone, the pepper spray was hardly necessary.

9. Arthur says

At a minimum, she and the pigs should go to prison for child abuse.
    Personally I prefer the death penalty for being an anti american terrorist. Just like most republicans and christians.

10. Max says

Say What, point taken, but I kinda agree with Galore. It’s their campus. As long as they are peaceful, just leave them there. But I wonder if there were any provocations. There often are.

11. Daniel says

This was an entirely peaceful protest. Read the interviews of students sprayed. One of my student employees (I am staff at UC Davis) was sprayed merely for yelling angrily. The pprotesters crossed no lines. Thiss is a school knownn for quiet, geeky, vets, doctors and lawyers. It was unthinkable what happened. There is a rally tomorrow, and the word s that it will be silennt when Katehi speaks. To further shame the administration.

12. says

I really fail to see how the First Amendment fully protects the cretins at Westboro Baptist Church who spew hate, lies, and bigotry but allows for the physical assault of peaceful protesters who are sitting on the ground. The police say they were surrounded? From all the footage I have seen and interviews I have read, I fail to understand why these police could not simply step over the seated protesters… I mean if they really, truly felt they were surrounded and in such mortal danger.

13. Yeek says

I will give the Chancellor credit for actually walking the walk – she could have dodged it, could have talked the whole way down, but she didn’t. In a way I think she was showing respect.

I’m impressed that the students were able to keep themselves SILENT. We’re so used to screaming, loud people acting on impulse. This was impressive.

One thing I would like to see is the police accepting responsibility for the decision. The chancellor is taking a lot of heat for her decision (perhaps rightly so), but at least she’s stepping up and facing the music. It would be nice to see the police do the same. A comment such as “the chancellor asked us to help, and she trusted our judgement as experts in this type of matter. She did not ask us to pepper-spray students. That decision was made by our own officers. We will investigate to the fullest to see if her trust in us was misplaced.”

14. Bill Cooney says

POLICE STATE! We pay the salaries of these law officers to protect us not, treat us as threats and pepper spray us. There needs to be a major investigation of this incident and deal harshly with those who overstepped their bounds.