Food and Drink | News | Paula Deen

Paula Deen Announces She Has Type 2 Diabetes: VIDEO

Deen

Paula Deen confirmed to a number of media outlets today that she has Type 2 diabetes. Rumors that Deen, whose butter and sugar-loaded Southern cooking are her hallmark as a TV chef, had diabetes began circulating last week. Deen said she was diagnosed with it three years ago.

She says her delay in talking about the disease had nothing to do with fear about hurting her reputation. "That was not why. My knowledge about the disease was very limited. But now I'm coming with good information, something that can help and bring hope to other people. It may sound cliché, but it's the God-honest truth."

Said Deen to USA Today: "I made the choice at the time to keep it close to me, to keep it close to my chest. I felt like I had nothing to offer anybody other than the announcement. I wasn't armed with enough knowledge. I knew when it was time, it would be in God's time."

Watch Deen tell Al Roker, AFTER THE JUMP...

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. "in God's time," after God helped broker her spokesperson deal with the drug manufacturer.

Posted by: Brian | Jan 17, 2012 10:17:25 AM

2. SHOCKING! Why is this news? I would have type II also if I ate nothing but butter and fat.

Posted by: Dairyqueen | Jan 17, 2012 10:23:05 AM

3. Meanwhile, she was teaching people how to make doughnut burgers for three years while she learned good information on diabetes? If I was diagnosed today, I bet I'd know all I needed to know in a week before going public (if anyone cared about me publicly, that is). Remarkably cynical handling of this.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Jan 17, 2012 10:25:20 AM

4. I saw this interview this morning and I feel she's not being completely honest. Partnering with a drug company makes her statements ring false or at least deflective. Most doctors will say that the combatant of choice for type II diabetes is lifestyle change which includes dietary changes. Yes medication can help but it doesn't just erase the problem. Her cooking is exemplary of the ways many Americans eat. This is not food that should be eaten in moderation. It is food that could be eaten limited, as in special occasion, if ever.

Posted by: Sean | Jan 17, 2012 10:31:36 AM

5. In other words, now she's getting paid by a pharmaceutical company.

Posted by: Paulie | Jan 17, 2012 10:32:51 AM

6. The woman will do ANYTHING for money.

Posted by: Brian | Jan 17, 2012 11:00:16 AM

7. "God's time" is not required, Pharmaceuticals are certainly not required -- except for a tiny fraction of the population, Adult onset diabetes is ALMOST ENTIRELY PREVENTABLE.

Watch your Glucose Index. Do not eat refined sugar. Do not drink soda or juice, ever -- eat fruit instead. Do not eat processed foods loaded with corn syrup.

Done.

Posted by: Strepsi | Jan 17, 2012 11:01:10 AM

8. 3 years to learn about your pancreas not working properly?

sorry, don't buy it.

Posted by: truthiness | Jan 17, 2012 11:01:33 AM

9. Those who live by the stick of butter will surely die by the stick of butter.

Posted by: Dave | Jan 17, 2012 11:23:24 AM

10. this is the diabetes equivalent of the Gayken coming out story....

Posted by: V-8 | Jan 17, 2012 11:26:26 AM

11. She has poisoned thousands of people with her rich, fatty recipes. It's like a drug seller coming out and saying he's addicted to his own product.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jan 17, 2012 11:47:41 AM

12. The woman is full of crap. Always has been.

Posted by: WebHybrid | Jan 17, 2012 11:53:39 AM

13. You are what you eat, Paula.

Posted by: johnny | Jan 17, 2012 11:54:04 AM

14. Funny - her son Bobby now has a show on The Cooking Channel all about taking his mom's recipes and making them "healthy". Funny timing that.

Posted by: RG | Jan 17, 2012 12:16:14 PM

15. I never thought I would find myself defending Paula Deen. I normally find her grating, her over-the-top portrayal of Southerners almost silly, and I will not even get into her pronunciation of pecan.

This is not a time schadenfreude, catty remarks, or people to be judgmental .

While it is easy to criticize her, judge her, and give "advice," the fact is not a single one of us know exactly what she has gone through.

As a community that has long struggled with stereotypes, prejudice, and condemnation, we should know better.

Posted by: Toby | Jan 17, 2012 12:19:31 PM

16. She stayed mum for one reason - money. She milked her career for as long as she could and put harm to millions of followers to fill her bank account. Totally disgusting.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Jan 17, 2012 12:27:21 PM

17. Speaking as someone with Type 2 diabetes, Paula's three-year wait to discuss the disease is, at best, disingenuous and at worst a giant big ole' fib. Also? With Type 2 diabetes there's a good chance that you can manage the disease with diet and exercise, but without drugs.

Right after I was diagnosed my doctor sent me to series of classes at a local hospital in order to learn the ins and outs of the disease. The first three classes (meeting once a week) gave you the basic info and techniques you needed to make changes in your life and diet based on your medical profile. The fourth class met one month later to check progress. The last class was three months later, and we all had a chance to catch up and learn how everybody was coping.

So after five months I had a damn good handle on what I needed to do, and there have been some continuing classes that have been offered as well. I lost a lot of weight while eating well (Christmas day I roasted a goose, New Year's Day a standing rib roast), check my blood sugar twice a day and take no diabetes meds.

God told her to announce her diabetes so she could rep for big pharma? Don't think much of that idea...

Posted by: Elsewhere | Jan 17, 2012 12:28:06 PM

18. Fraud. Phony. Whore.

Posted by: CarlottaVonFunkenhowzer | Jan 17, 2012 2:29:35 PM

19. I have had Type 1 diabetes since I was 4. By the time I was 7 I knew ALL about it.

She kept her mouth shut for money pure and simple.

Maintaining a healthy weight, eating and drinking sensibly, and exercise is the best way to prevent Type 2 diabetes.

Paula Deen makes deep-fried cheesecake?

Posted by: Steve | Jan 17, 2012 5:54:04 PM

20. Dear Paula,

Type II diabetes is not that bad. Almost have the world is diabetic. Ok maybe I'm exaggerating but really, diabetes is not a morbidly disease. Eating habits aren't the only risk factor for being diabetic, heredity also plays a role. I don't even know how this made to the media.

This is like me telling the world I have hypertension! ooooohhhh

Posted by: Jan | Jan 17, 2012 8:13:40 PM

21. half the world*

Posted by: Jan | Jan 17, 2012 8:14:15 PM

22. I have little to say about the Paula Dean Blubbergate situation. After all, who doesn’t love a deep-fried butter and bacon sandwich and a with a tiramisu-milkshake-made-with-3-scoops-of-fried-ice-cream chaser? What is annoying is her phony admonition http://bit.ly/xI15xp

Posted by: I Mean What | Jan 19, 2012 9:47:41 AM

23. I'm sad for Paula, but not all that surprised. Maybe she should look into a healthier diet to treat her diabetes instead of drugs? There's lots of interesting information available at this noncommercial, science based site (nutritionfacts.org). To quote the good doctor: "It is too bad Paula Deen missed this opportunity" to tell her fans "that type 2 diabetes can be prevented, managed, treated, and even cured". Read more at http://nutritionfacts.org/blog/2012/01/18/paula-deen-diabetes-drug-spokesperson/

Posted by: Eric Starson | Jan 20, 2012 10:15:26 AM