Brian Brown | Gay Marriage | News | Thomas Roberts

BigGayDeal.com

Thomas Roberts Asks NOM's Brian Brown if He is 'Exhausted' by Constantly Opposing Equality: VIDEO

Roberts_brown

MSNBC's Thomas Roberts got fed up with NOM's Brian Brown at the end of his diatribe against same-sex marriage in New Hampshire.

Asked Roberts: "Is it sometimes just exhausting for you, and what the National Organization for Marriage does, to try to stand against the tide of equality? Is it exhausting?"

After Brown answers, Roberts recommends he go watch the movie Bully.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via think progress lgbt)

Comments

1. Ya gotta love the wonderful Thomas Roberts.

Posted by: Jay | Mar 21, 2012 1:38:20 PM

2. The thing I don't understand is why they keep asking Brian Brown to appear on these shows when
    a) the interviewers clearly don't like him and
    b) he's an idiot.

The emotional story from the other guy about his brother was wonderful.

I can't believe you guys are still having to debate this topic with a-holes like Brian Brown.

Posted by: jamesintoronto | Mar 21, 2012 1:40:47 PM

3. Bravo, Thomas Roberts!

Posted by: Gunga Dean | Mar 21, 2012 1:41:51 PM

4. How dare out-of-state interest groups try to change the law in NH!

Not like NOM. In Philadelphia.

Assholes.

Posted by: Mona | Mar 21, 2012 1:46:08 PM

5. The definition of marriage is Love, Commitment, Responsibility. Hasn't changed.

Posted by: David R. | Mar 21, 2012 1:46:12 PM

6. I take it Brian Brown is a native of New Hampshire, the way he was criticizing the out-of-state special interest groups who were pro-marriage equality. And I take it he is also a native of Maine and of New York and of every other state he goes to try to affect marriage laws there.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Mar 21, 2012 1:47:38 PM

7. Um, excuse me, but NOM is an "Out of State Interest Group."

Posted by: acorlando | Mar 21, 2012 1:48:35 PM

8. Thomas Roberts was excellent here. And I loved that concluding statement.

Craig Stovell is great to have as an ally. He is the example for so many others who are straight and have gay loved ones.
    And how ironic that Brian Brown, whose livelihood is to ride his anti-gay tour bus from state-to-state, dismisses equality advocates as an out-of-state influence.

Posted by: GregV | Mar 21, 2012 1:48:56 PM

9. Brian Brown looks old, fat, and tired and soon I hope we'll see him weeping in the gallery of the NH State House.

Posted by: Dev | Mar 21, 2012 1:49:08 PM

10. while i agree it's incredibly annoying for these bigots to continue to be invited to give the "opposing side" to the Equality fights, the reality is this: there are no non-bigoted people opposing Equality.

perhaps there's merit in them proving themselves to be exactly what they are. or something. i don't know.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 21, 2012 1:53:07 PM

11. I'm not really sure I understand Roberts's point here. Isn't all political activism exhausting? Gay rights activists have been operating far longer than groups like NOM - even a winning fight can be draining. I think Roberts was just showing his liberal biases here. Whenever one talks of the "tide of" something it's usually political spin. Reaganites of thge 1980's used this term also.

Posted by: Mary | Mar 21, 2012 1:54:54 PM

12. MARY - isn't being annoying exhausting?

Posted by: TJ | Mar 21, 2012 1:59:53 PM

13. With humor:

Note folks, you can read it yourself - Little Kiwi has said "I don't know." UNBELIEVABLE. It's his first joke.

As for Thomas Roberts, I so want to marry him, I'll even believe in polygamy, whatever it takes to do his bidding. Muah!

Posted by: uffda | Mar 21, 2012 2:01:38 PM

14. "Liberal biases" Conservatives are never, ever biased, right Mary? Or is that you Brian?

Posted by: homer | Mar 21, 2012 2:02:50 PM

15. Roberts is more than patient with the "opposing voices" MSNBC brings on to drum up ratings. Is he biased? Hell yes, in favor of absolute equality. Mary, activists for marriage equality are energized by the very real progress made in human rights. What do anti-equality folks get for their exhaustive efforts? Gloating is a poor substitute for joy.

Posted by: Josh | Mar 21, 2012 2:05:38 PM

16. see? Mary's nothing but another useless fake-alias troll.

note how accepting reality, truth and facts are considered "liberal bias" by 'Mary'.

it's true though. liberals are biased in that they prefer facts and truth over baseless, and factually incorrect, chosen "opinions."

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 21, 2012 2:10:08 PM

17. Roberts is entitled to any opinion he cares to hold, but as a journalist he should try to be more objective. The marriage equality fight has a long way to go before it's over. He was speaking as if it's a done deal. And no, TJ, it's not exhausting. I have fun on Towleroad. You are always welcome to ignore my posts if they upset you. But we've had exchanges in the past and I've found your comments interesting. I'm sorry if you resent my presence here. I try to be respectful of the gay community.

And yes, conservatives have plenty of biases. On many issues the right-wing is seriously deluded - the best example being their version of what happened to America during the 1960's. Although I agree with them on policy, I find that their version of 1960's history to be a self-serving cartoon that's often embarassingly simplistic and misleading. Their views on the baby-boom generation border on the demented. And despite all their talk of "personal responsiblity" you can read 30 years of their literature and never once hear them admit that anything that went wrong in America during this time is the fault of the American people. It's always "elites" of some kind - usually liberal ones, of course.

Posted by: Mary | Mar 21, 2012 2:29:13 PM

18. OK, Thomas Roberts is awesome. (Call me!) But the problem is that bigots like Brian Brown are given so much airtime just to offer the "con" argument for any news about marriage equality. The most objectionable thing about them was exemplified by Brown's final arguments, which were a smattering of lies and half-truths that went unchallenged. (In this instance, probably due to time constraints.) Yet this is the norm on the 24 hour news channels: they are basically an endless platform for talking heads of varying legitimacy and many of them, especially on the far right, are totally comfortable fabricating information which interviewers are too fearful to challenge them because it might make them look "biased."

Posted by: Steve | Mar 21, 2012 2:41:47 PM

19. how DARE those liberals be biased against bigotry!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 21, 2012 2:43:01 PM

20. Mary,

The gay marriage war is a done deal. We may lose a couple more battles but the writing is on the wall in permenant marker.

Posted by: Stefan | Mar 21, 2012 2:45:30 PM

21. Mary=NOM troll

Posted by: gaylib | Mar 21, 2012 2:47:18 PM

22. I don't like how he is allowed air time to lie bold faced without being called out. I think he likes to talk down the clock using the same tired talking points so that a real rebuttal is impossible.

Posted by: Mickey | Mar 21, 2012 2:56:31 PM

23. I assume Mary is some kind of performance artist, because he/she cannot be for real.

Posted by: MateoM | Mar 21, 2012 3:02:05 PM

24. uh, Mary? He IS being objective. The opposition to marriage equality is opinion, fear, religious zealotry, and straight-up hate. They never have any facts (except the ones they make up with junk science) so why exactly should be entertaining their bullshite? To make them feel better? Screw that. You have all the traits of a concern troll. Go be concerned elsewhere. You just sound ignorant and douchey when you spout your nonsense here.

Posted by: wtf | Mar 21, 2012 3:08:43 PM

25. I said the same thing about Rick, Mateom. Alas, I may soon have to admit to myself the he is, in fact, for real. Sigh. The world was such a nicer place back then.

Posted by: Winston | Mar 21, 2012 3:13:41 PM