Chick-fil-A | Focus on the Family | News

BigGayDeal.com

NYU Students, Rainbow Flag Creator Protest Anti-Gay Chick-fil-A

Chik-Fil-A_NYU
A few NYU students and rainbow flag-creator Gilbert Baker protested Chick-fil-A today for the fast food chain's massive financial support of anti-gay groups.

Kate Schaefer at Gothamist reports that the protest was organized by Hillary Dworkoski, an NYU student who started a change.org campaign to get Chick-Fil-A off the school's campus. (Gothamist also notes that the NYU location is the only Chick-fil-A in New York City, which is surprising, though nice.)

Some more:

While other vendors can be banned from campus for human rights violations, John Sexton (President, NYU) and the Student Senators Council maintain that this is a political issue, and they can't get involved, "I guess they just don't see that gay rights are human rights," says Dworkoski.

Dworkoski has been fighting this cause for a while and is running for a spot as Senator so that she can be on the Student Senators Council next year and pursue Chick-fil-A through student government. "Even if Chick-fil-A is never banned from campus, at least we're raising awareness about it and that's 13,000 more people that aren't eating Chick-fil-A," Dworkoski told us today.

In other Chick-fil-A news, Cord Jefferson today tore into equality-minded people who still partake in the unapologetic company's offerings: "If you find that it's impossible to stop eating at Chick-fil-A despite your deeply rooted pro-LGBT values, perhaps those values aren't as deep-seated as you think." I would say that's a fair assessment.

Comments

1. Whatever,
    more waffle fries for me!

Posted by: Utahime | Apr 19, 2012 6:36:35 PM

2. NYU is my alma mater and I'm extremely disappointed they allowed this anti-LGBT company into their midst. Then again, the biggest lesson I learned while matriculating is that NYU's #1 priority was making money, so I guess it shouldn't surprise me.

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER | Apr 19, 2012 6:45:25 PM

3. I never mess with giant chickens!

Posted by: Morgan | Apr 19, 2012 6:52:51 PM

4. i've never eaten at a chick-fil-a before. are they as lousy as cord jefferson say they are?

Posted by: alguien | Apr 19, 2012 7:07:23 PM

5. Trust me if Chick-fil-A was donating to a Palestinian group, there would be hell and they would be driven off campus.

Posted by: qj201 | Apr 19, 2012 7:32:37 PM

6. Ha! See the face of the people around them? They have NO IDEA what is going on because most people have NO IDEA that a Chick-fil-a is even in the place. If anything this just gives them some free press. In fact sadly the last time you posted something about chick-fil-a it reminded me that there was one there and I went on my break to get some. Very yummy and it was fun to pretend to be in college again. Uh oh, bad homo huh?

Posted by: Opinionated | Apr 19, 2012 7:47:35 PM

7. OPINIONATED seriously who cares if you take another breath? You're nobody's nothing.

Posted by: palto | Apr 19, 2012 8:00:33 PM

8. I've never eaten there and never will. I'd rather make my own chicken.

Posted by: Gonzo | Apr 19, 2012 8:46:56 PM

9. Opinionated, good luck with that fast food high carbohydrate and excessive salt diet. One can only hope that you live long enough to regret it.

Posted by: vanndean | Apr 19, 2012 9:07:09 PM

10. Opinionated is actually right. I'm an NYU alum; most people don't know this place exists. I'm afraid the protests is merely giving the place more business, by reminding us that it's there. But I guess that's the way these things go...just look at Starbucks stock since that ridiculous NOM boycott.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 19, 2012 9:12:40 PM

11. I'd rather that they be boycotted and forced off campus than they being banned. Because that would send the stronger message. They're losing money countrywide due to their homophobia, so we need to continue the effort to educate and galvanize.......show people why eating at Chick-Fil-A is a bad thing to do. Why it's wrong to choose chicken over homophobia. Because that is what you are doing when you eat at Chick-Fil-A. You are choosing chicken over bigotry. Tragically, I saw a poll where a whole lot of liberals and LGBTQ folk basically don't care Chick-Fil-A is a homophobic organization and will continue to do eat there. That is pathetic. It's all about having a conscious.

Posted by: Francis | Apr 19, 2012 9:36:05 PM

12. Can bisexuals eat there sometimes?

Posted by: Ted | Apr 19, 2012 9:36:16 PM

13. I found a great dating bisexual site DATEBI*C'O'M. It is a serious& safe dating site for the bisexual and bi-curious individuals to meet in a friendly and comfortable environment. It hopes that all members can make new friends and establish romantic relationships. I have to say ===D A T E B I*C O M=== the best site I have ever joined so far. They verify all members. Unlike other sites,NO scammers or fake profiles here, and you can meet many rich or mature women as well, including celebs, famous stars.BEST OF LUCK!

Posted by: yoyo | Apr 19, 2012 11:39:56 PM

14. What's to stop everyone from going to the chic fil a drive thru, ordering four number sixes with cheese and extra mayo (no idea as i have never been there), four sweet teas with a shot of Seven Up, and then driving away when you get to the window?

Posted by: David Hearn | Apr 19, 2012 11:51:18 PM

15. p90x to participate in the aerobics training courses

Posted by: p90x | Apr 19, 2012 11:54:35 PM

16. bet if it were neo-nazis selling bratwurst or something they would get bounced

Posted by: walter | Apr 20, 2012 12:33:14 AM

17. @ DAVID HEARN
    I like the way you think. After vowing never to eat there again, I think I will be in the drive thru today.

Posted by: christopher | Apr 20, 2012 5:05:33 AM

18. their food is nasty from the get-go. And some of the idiots missed the best part of this article: "If you find that it's impossible to stop eating at Chick-fil-A despite your deeply rooted pro-LGBT values, perhaps those values aren't as deep-seated as you think." I would say that's a fair assessment.

Posted by: Reality | Apr 20, 2012 6:57:47 AM

19. this post is great, i likie

Posted by: turbotax 2011 | Apr 21, 2012 3:17:28 AM

20. I found a reason not to do business with Chick-Fil-A in the 1970's,and have never looked back.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Apr 29, 2012 5:49:08 PM