Gay Marriage | News | North Carolina

BigGayDeal.com

Philanthropist and Straight Ally Todd Stiefel Will Match $100,000 in Donations to Defeat North Carolina's Amendment One

North Carolina philanthropist and straight ally Todd Stiefel pledged to match every dollar up to $100,000 donated to Protect All NC Families' campaign to defeat Amendment One, which is on the ballot May 8 there, and would constitutionally ban same-sex marriage, civil unions, and domestic partnerships.

StiefelWrites Stiefel:

My name is Todd Stiefel. My wife, Diana, and I have a passionate belief that our country would be better off if we put people above politics. Families in North Carolina matter far more than a divisive constitutional amendment such as Amendment One, and that is why we are now offering a $1 for $1 match up to $100,000 to the campaign.

The campaign to defeat the amendment only has three more weeks to get out the word about the harms that North Carolina would face if Amendment One passes on May 8. That is why we are stepping up now to give to the campaign. We hope that you can join us.

The momentum against Amendment One has grown substantially in recent weeks. Former GOP Gubernatorial nominee Richard Vinroot, Justice Bob Orr, John Hood and other conservatives have advocated against it in recent weeks. Governor Bev Perdue came out passionately against it last week in a powerful video, and the next morning Duke Energy CEO Jim Rogers condemned the amendment as well.

NCStiefel's donation will be helping to fund a television campaign set to air beginning April 23. The campaign says their ads will be based off of the powerful frames of protecting children of unmarried couples and gay families, as well as the harms to domestic violence protections that will come about as a result of the passage of the amendment. If you would like to help them reach that goal, do so HERE.

Comments

1. Please watch our video produced by Duke students, featuring students, faculty, staff, and administrators against Amendment One!!

tinyurl.com/dukemakeitbetter

Posted by: Erik Chamberlin | Apr 16, 2012 2:05:00 PM

2. If there were many other straight people like this, I couldn't hate straight people as much as I do.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 16, 2012 3:20:25 PM

3. Hating someone for being straight is like a straight person hating someone because they are gay and it is bigotry and stupid. Donate a bit of money to this cause and let him match it.

Posted by: lk | Apr 16, 2012 4:32:17 PM

4. Yes, hating someone for being straight is like a straight person hasting someone because they are gay. That is the very point. Turn around is fair play and all that. What fallacy precisely is "stupid?" It is your fallacy; it is an ad hominem. Yes it is bigotry. Bigotry is a biological imparitive, or are you a creationist? Whether I have or will donate to any specific cause is a private matter, thank you.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 16, 2012 5:00:57 PM

5. @LK
    Yes, hating someone for being straight is like a straight person hating someone because they are gay. That is the very point. Turn around is fair play and all that. Bigotry is a biological imperative, unless you are a creationist? What fallacy is "stupid?" it is your fallacy; it is an ad hominem. Whether I donate to any specific cause or not is a private matter, thank you.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 16, 2012 5:04:21 PM

6. i have no reason to hate straight people. every straight person in my life has become an outspoken and upstanding advocate for LGBT equality. if it's not happened in your own life yet, maybe it's time to realize that you're not doing a good enough job yourself.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Apr 16, 2012 5:14:05 PM

7. This is great and it will cause me to dig a little deeper and give a little more. That said, the opposition to Amendment 1 has really not been that impressive in my opinion. They have focused on college campuses, which is great, and might help some if the students can forget about finals or travelling home or a well deserved vacation after a long semester to vote AND get others to vote too. I have seen nothing of the campaign in my home county, which is smallish and conservative, but not as far to the right on this as a prima facie look would suggest. Two groups from the other side have canvassed my neighborhood. I have signed up 3 times to volunteer for the campaign and have never heard from them. In the freestyle comment section I let them know I have been part of the field staff of a congressional campaign, ran a countywide campaign, and won a local ballot referendum on alcohol sales and I know the precincts captains and chairs of both parties. Of course, I would have licked envelopes if that is what they needed. Instead, they have spent their time promoting the opposition of a deeply unpopular governor and two mostly unknown former mayors of Charlotte. May 8th will probably not turn out so well, it probably wouldn't have even under the best of circumstances. At least, as one of the prime sponsors said, it will be a moot point in 20 years, most likely, in far less.

Posted by: Robert | Apr 16, 2012 6:20:25 PM

8. @littlekiwi. I am very happy for you. Sincerely and more than you can know. I wish dearly I had experienced life like you obviously have. I don't like many of the things you don't like. I just don't like many more things that you do like. I can respect that, truely. I don't know what to say but that I seek out stories such as this in order that I may change my mind. I would like to do so. I don't know what job I am to do better at. I am not being sarcastic. What do you want me to be doing better?

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 16, 2012 7:24:15 PM

9. @littlekiwi
    Another reading of your post makes me almost believe you may be blaming me for the homophobia I have encountered. Surely this is not what you mean, is it? Are you going to start blaming other gay people for being gay bashed? Do you actually believe that homophobia requires a reason other than one is gay? I deeply hope you are not implying that. I would have to disagree with you strenuously. I don't blame gay people for being attacked. Also, if you are saying that, then you are saying it doesn't get better because you are as exposed to as much homophobia as I was back in the 70's, 80's,and 90's. Do you actually agree it doesn't get better? Or have you failed to think this through? Maybe I misunerstand you and if so I sincerely apologize in advance. Please explain to me what you mean by this.
    Thanks.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 16, 2012 9:15:48 PM

10. I don't have much hope that we'll prevent passage of Amendment One on May 8, but the more education we can provide now, the sooner we can reverse this vile travesty of law.

I've been unemployed for most of the year to date and I still managed to dig deep to help that last minute voter education campaign.

Thanks to this matching fund, the campaign is now $200 richer. Surely, our collective future, which we can influence, matters more than our individual pasts, which we cannot change.

Posted by: Dave | Apr 16, 2012 10:27:16 PM

11. Thank you Mr. Stiefel for your support. It is appreciated and valued by many more than you will know.

Posted by: uffda | Apr 17, 2012 3:06:23 AM

12. I have straight and gay friends. The straight friends I know are all supportive of gay people.

Not everyone wants to be the same thing as everyone else. Straight, gay, bi, trans, lesbian, nationality, race, color, creed or no creed, etc. are all part of the diverse "rainbow of humanity" and time we stopped foolishly bashing those of our varied "brothers and sisters" who support us and/or who want to support us.

Posted by: mousemess | May 2, 2012 10:20:56 AM