2012 Election | Bullying | Mitt Romney

BigGayDeal.com

Mitt Offers Open-Ended Apology For High School 'Hijinks'

RomneyKidMitt Romney's presidential campaign clearly wants to put the story of him cutting a presumed gay student's hair behind him. The candidate just now offered a vague apology for his youthful misadventures.

Via Talking Points Memo:

Mitt Romney offered a qualified apology for his behavior as a high school student, without specifically saying whether a report that he bullied a student thought by his classmates to be gay was accurate.

“Back in high school I did some dumb things and if anybody was hurt by that or offended by that I apologize,” Romney told FOX radio host Brian Kilmeade Thursday. “If I did stupid things, I’m afraid I’ve got to say sorry for it.”

Romney, 65, noted he graduated from high school nearly five decades ago, and said, “I’m quite a different guy now.” He admitted “I participated in a lot of hijinks and pranks in high school and some of them might have gone too far, and I apologize.”

Romney also said that he doesn't recall thinking the student in question, John Lauber, was gay. "I certainly don’t believe that I thought the fellow was homosexual,” Romney said. “That was the furthest thing from our minds back in the 1960s.”

Comments

1. "I certainly don’t believe that I thought the fellow was homosexual,” Romney said. “That was the furthest thing from our minds back in the 1960s.”
    That's true. Back then, Romney was far more concerned with America's "growing negro problem" - as was the concern of most 60s-era Mormons, with their white-worshipping cult of idiots.

Posted by: Jay | May 10, 2012 12:39:58 PM

2. So typical of him and his ilk to minimize and dismiss the severity of his crime. And yes, it IS a crime to assault someone, forcibly pin them down, and cause panic and psychological distress. Just because he wasn't prosecuted for it doesn't mean it wasn't heinous or that it could be benignly chalked up to a "prank," which is what he's claiming here.

Romney is a piece of s*** Mormon bigot. He and all the rest like him are going to burn for their evil, and the fact that he shows no remorse proves that he will do the same to this country that he did to this guy. He cares only about one thing: his personal wealth. He wants money and power and he will kill anyone to get it.

Posted by: atomic | May 10, 2012 12:40:08 PM

3. Since Mitt was obviously obsessed with other men's hair back then, maybe it's not Lauber's sexual orientation we should be questioning here.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | May 10, 2012 12:40:11 PM

4. If a democratic candidate had done something like this, he could fess up and own it. "I was young, I was stupid, I made a mistake". But of course, the Republican base doesn't _really_ think assaulting someone for being different or gay-seeming is a mistake. So, not really an option for Romney.

Posted by: St. Theresa of Avila | May 10, 2012 12:44:24 PM

5. Oooooooh.....TRACTION!.....:-)

Posted by: ROBERT BAKER | May 10, 2012 12:48:17 PM

6. "He and all the rest like him are going to burn for their evil"

Well, seem a bit high handed to me, Atomic. If there is a god, that god has made it pretty clear only she can judge. (LOL)

Seriously, the issue is more the ride they've taken everybody on while they were alive.

Posted by: St. Theresa of Avila | May 10, 2012 12:50:46 PM

7. Did the liberals that beat the sh!t out of Taylor Garrett, a gay Republican consultant in Texas who stars in the reality series on the channel LOGO TV, ever apologize for beating his brains out?

Posted by: Alan | May 10, 2012 12:54:07 PM

8. "I didn't have my goons hold him down so I could cut his hair because I thought he was 'homsexual.' I had them hold him down because he was a Nancy boy, a queer, a (fill in the blank term for gender traitor). We didn't use the term 'homosexual' back in the day. We just knew it was WRONG to be different. Who can blame me?"

Posted by: TJ | May 10, 2012 12:56:53 PM

9. The type of person that grows up to strap their dog to the top of their car.
    There is a pattern here of a person who cannot see the feelings of anyone or any creature other than himself.
    Typical power hungry person.

Posted by: SFHarry | May 10, 2012 12:57:10 PM

10. He terrorized another person who he felt less than equal.

At this time he also belonged to an all-white, all blacks banned, “Church” at this time.

Romney is on record NO WHERE of opposing the ban on black people in his church even know it was in the news each and every day.

He dealt with the 1960s cultural revolution of racial equality by attacking people he saw as different.

Hardly leadership material, even for the Republican Party.

Posted by: Jacques Rosas | May 10, 2012 12:58:01 PM

11. Think of it as training for when he's TeaParty/GOP President - he can torture suspects at Gitmo and black sites all by himself!

Those thousands of people fired at companies acquired and dumped by Bain when the bully Romney was in charge now understand why they're unemployed and homeless.

Posted by: Hue-Man | May 10, 2012 12:58:19 PM

12. OMG! It's Robbie from "My Three Sons!" Only he's a bully, not a teen heart throb. Pig.

Posted by: TJ | May 10, 2012 12:59:44 PM

13. Wow, this election is getting extreme. On one hand we have a man who is for gay rights and the other is your run-of-the-mill bully. F*ck him.

Posted by: Michael | May 10, 2012 1:00:23 PM

14. btw, could Mitt grow a pair and stop bullsh!tting us about how he didn't think the guy was a homosexual??? WTF.

Posted by: Michael | May 10, 2012 1:01:46 PM

15. Alan, sorry, I'm yawning here, fake stories by attention-whore queens about "liberals" bashing him? Nobody's buying it.

Posted by: St. Theresa of Avila | May 10, 2012 1:01:53 PM

16. Taylor Garrett is about as impressive as scrotal acne. I love how upset gay republicans have been in the last 48 hours. It's gotta suck knowing that you're now officially the doormats to bigots that everyone's always said you are. With Obama now vocally supporting marriage equality, you're gonna have to go into overdrive looking for "liberal things" to complain about. Won't change the fact that you're not man enough to stand up to your communities. Gay Republicans are wimps.

Posted by: Jay | May 10, 2012 1:02:30 PM

17. Mittens, when you're on the giving end it may seem like "hijinks and pranks" but when you're the victim of people like you it's called BULLYING. And by the way, who in the hell uses the word "hijinks" anymore?!

Posted by: Sam | May 10, 2012 1:03:36 PM

18. Look at that photo of young Mitt. Is that not the archetype of the jock/fratboy who would let guys give him head? I am not saying Mitt did, but it is like Central casting for that type.

Posted by: Esther Blodgett | May 10, 2012 1:15:53 PM

19. In swing state North Carolina, which went for Obama in '08, 61% of the voters who went to the polls on Tuesday decided that they dislike gay people so much that they don't even want private companies to be allowed to offer them domestic partner benefits.

In Anchorage, Alaska just a few weeks before, the overwhelming majority of voters indicated that they dislike gay people so much that they did not even think they should be protected from discrimination on the job.

Earth to the Gay Left. People don't like you. They don't like your "gender-non-conformist" ideology. They don't like your snarky attitudes. They don't like your effeminate behavior and your idolization of "divas" and the hatred of men it represents.

And that is why, 60 years after the gay movement began, the losses continue to pile up and why Governor Romney will most likely only benefit politically from a story like this rather than be harmed by it.

Posted by: Rick | May 10, 2012 1:16:12 PM

20. He is sorry IF he hurt anyone? The guy was reportedly crying.

Posted by: Steve | May 10, 2012 1:20:40 PM

21. Straight liberals don't take offense to gender-nonconformity. Only conservatives do. And why on earth should any self-respecting person cater to the baseless prejudices of bigoted conservatives?

Posted by: Jay | May 10, 2012 1:23:59 PM

22. “That was the furthest thing from our minds back in the 1960s.”

That is a f@cking lie. I certainly was called a homo, faggot, etc. in the mid 1960's Detroit area and Columbus, OH and a sissy before that. The Midwestern Republican standard revisionist history is homo's didn't really exist until Disco and everyone treated each other like 'Leave It to Beaver' or we all lived in Mayberry.

Posted by: Gus | May 10, 2012 1:25:29 PM

23. Took him 40 yrs to say he is sorry.

Posted by: Matt26 | May 10, 2012 1:35:06 PM

24. "I certainly don’t believe that I thought the fellow was homosexual,” Romney said. “That was the furthest thing from our minds back in the 1960s.”

What utter crap! Male teenagers in the mid-60s--especially independent school kids--were obsessed w/homosexuality.

And claiming to have no memory of leading a gang attack that included scissors is simply beyond belief.

Posted by: bcarter3 | May 10, 2012 1:36:13 PM

25. @Jay,

Hmmm, you should have heard some of the things coming out of some straight liberals [progressives] mouths when they didn't know I was gay.

And the worse anti-gay hate I ever experienced [witnessed I should say] came from two young very 'progressive' looking and speaking black women.

Of course Romney is a d-bag. That doesn't mean you must correspondingly idol worship Obama. He could have said publicly he was for full gay rights as soon as he became president. It would not have hurt him anymore than he's already been hurt and his party held the majority in the senate and house. It's nice what he said on TV, but he's still acting like an obnoxious lawyer/politician bullsh*tter, which is what he is.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 10, 2012 1:36:17 PM