"Ex-Gays" | News | Religion | Sports

Sports Camp Helps Men 'Move Beyond' Being Gay

SoccerPositionThere will be lots of balls thrown and caught during a sports retreat being hosted by the Catholic "ex-gay" group Courage in Philadelphia this weekend.

Because, you know, you can overcome being gay by brushing up on tossing around the ol' pigskin.

Courage, a Catholic group that encourages people with same-sex attraction to remain celibate, is holding its 13th annual sports camp in which “men physically compete on the field while enriching their souls through a daily regimen of prayer, confessions, mass, and the Liturgy of the Hours,” according to the group’s website.

“They think that in offering people with same sex attraction the chance to learn how to play sports they will learn to be manlier,” said Ed Coffin, director of Peace Advocacy Network, a Philadelphia group which plans to protest outside the seminary...

“It’s a ludicrous assertion. There are many, many out gay athletes and many gay men who play sports,” he said.

One participant, who refused to be identified, insists the camp is not "brainwashing." Rather it's a "tutorial sports event" for men who face "social blockades" for their lack of athletic acumen.

Courage also claims that men are gay because they're estranged from their fathers. "I never met a man with same sex attraction that had a healthy relationship with his father," said one member, known only as Al.

Comments

1. Nice pic and nice looking guys.

Posted by: Matt26 | May 24, 2012 10:57:54 AM

2. Well Al meet me, a gay man who has a great relationship with my father and I have since I can remember.

My mother however was curious if me not rough housing enough with my older brother made me gay... luckily my father, sister, and I all laughed at that notion.

Posted by: Keelai | May 24, 2012 11:03:54 AM

3. MMMMM....that photo makes me feel tingly down there.

Posted by: Alan | May 24, 2012 11:06:23 AM

4. ""I never met a man with same sex attraction that had a healthy relationship with his father," said one member, known only as Al."

Well I invite Al to have dinner over at my place with me, my boyfriend, and our fathers. Both of us have amazing relationships with them.

My own father was at every sporting event - yeah... I'm gay and I play sports, went camping, fishing, hiking, boy scouts, did yard work together. I willingly helped him at his work for hours and hours on end (leather industry). He is always there for me, always interested in my life, and always making it clear how much he loves me and as proud of the man I've become. My dad is one classy father.

Sorry, Al, but you can meet me and be proven wrong.

Posted by: RJ | May 24, 2012 11:06:49 AM

5. I left my parish because the new priest wanted to bring in Courage (an inappropriate name if there ever was one). What BS! I now go to a gay-supportive Catholic church and am much happier.

And, as we all know, there's no better way to turn gay men straight then to have them play a game with other sweaty men on a field.

Posted by: Jack M | May 24, 2012 11:07:45 AM

6. "I never met a man with same sex attraction that had a healthy relationship with his father," said one member, known only as Al.

Al clearly needs to get out more.

Posted by: James in Hollywood | May 24, 2012 11:10:17 AM

7. They will get more a$$ at this camp than anywhere else they will ever go. I bet it will be a rousing success.

Posted by: DrJWL | May 24, 2012 11:10:18 AM

8. mmmm Frank Lampard and John Terry... now there's a thought

Posted by: Steve F | May 24, 2012 11:13:46 AM

9. Al must not get out much...which must be doubly true, since he needs a Catholic ex-gay camp to teach him how to play sports.

Posted by: luminum | May 24, 2012 11:15:37 AM

10. I'm annoyed by people who think their experience or their friend's experience must be everyone's experience. I have an amazing relationship with my father and always have. He's one of the most important people in my life and I consider him one of my best friends. We watched and played sports together growing up and I'm a huge football fan because of him. This guy needs to actually meet gay people and not his merry band of self loathing assholes LOL

Posted by: matt | May 24, 2012 11:18:13 AM

11. AI = Artificially Inseminated

Posted by: TYVM | May 24, 2012 11:20:32 AM

12. Busiest website this weekend:

Posted by: ChrisQ | May 24, 2012 11:20:56 AM

13. Oh, the sad hypocrisy of Christian bigots: rail against homosexuality because it is forbidden in Leviticus 18:22 by playing a game that requires you to touch pig skin, which is forbidden in Leviticus 11: 7-8.

Posted by: Peter | May 24, 2012 11:21:58 AM

14. Because mean touching and grabbing each other for a day, getting all sweaty and then showering together will certainly turn them straight

Posted by: Steve | May 24, 2012 11:25:44 AM

15. I suppose wrestling is off the menu?

Posted by: Sylvatica | May 24, 2012 11:28:23 AM

16. I had an amazing relationship with my father for 50 years until he passed away last fall. And when my Mom passed away 15 years earlier he gave me an article to read about this same type of thing then said, "Can you believe this BS that people think you can change the way you were born?" It doesn't get any better than that!

Posted by: Frank | May 24, 2012 11:33:08 AM

17. Al must live a sheltered life. I'm an out and proud gay man with a great relationship with my father. I also played basketball, tennis, rugby, golf, lacrosse and ran track in HS and college. What a moran.

Posted by: Major Onions | May 24, 2012 11:39:19 AM

18. Every good Catholic knows that it's those confusing and conflicted relationships with both his earthly father (Joseph) and his "heavenly" father ("God") that must've turned Jeebus into a fudge packing goober smoocher.

Posted by: Jeebus | May 24, 2012 11:40:38 AM

19. I have the best dad I ever could have asked for. I don't doubt for a moment that in the gay-hating circles that "Al" lives in, he's not meeting anyone, fathers or otherwise, who has a healthy relationship with the gay people in their lives.
    The fathers of the men in his club were without a doubt brainwashed into being negative toward every hint of homosexuality that they ever saw in their sons as they grew up.
    That's a recipe for not only bad family relationships but also poor self-esteem on the partvof the kid and ultimately (if the kid internalizes the negativity about his own self-image), unhealthy and failed relationships as an adult.
    These anti-gay nuts always portray homosexuality as being about bad relqtionships, drugs and diseases. To me it's about a wonderful partner who is loved by my family and health and happiness in life.
    As Jesus said: Beware of false prophets; you shall know them by the fruits they bear.

Posted by: Gregv | May 24, 2012 11:41:31 AM

20. I have the best dad I ever could have asked for. I don't doubt for a moment that in the gay-hating circles that "Al" lives in, he's not meeting anyone, fathers or otherwise, who has a healthy relationship with the gay people in their lives.

Posted by: Gregv | May 24, 2012 11:41:31 AM

21. Y'all think RICK might have graduated from one of those camps?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 24, 2012 11:54:02 AM

22. I've never met a man straight or gay that had a good relationship with his father.

Posted by: chad | May 24, 2012 12:07:28 PM

23. Let's debunk the myth about gay sons not have strong relationships with their fathers. I for one had an amazing relationship with my dad (since passed). He taught me so many things from simple things like sports to more important things like how to be a righteous man. He has always been supportative in every way.

On another note, I cannot understand how any gay man can attend such a ridiculous event. They really must hate oneself. Not what Jesus would want.

Posted by: RK | May 24, 2012 12:11:07 PM

24. Let's debunk the myth about gay sons not have strong relationships with their fathers. I for one had an amazing relationship with my dad (since passed). He taught me so many things from simple things like sports to more important things like how to be a righteous man. He has always been supportative in every way.

Posted by: RK | May 24, 2012 12:11:11 PM

25. I guess accepting that you're always going to have same-sex attraction, but vowing never to act on it, is better than pretending you don't have same-sex attraction. I know someone who lives the way these guys do. He seems unhappy to me, but his faith is the most important thing in his life. I support his choice.

Posted by: jimstoic | May 24, 2012 12:16:19 PM