Chick-fil-A | Discrimination | News

Chick-fil-A Does Damage Control

ChickFBMessage

Trying to do some damage control after President Dan Cathy said marriage equality activists are "inviting God's judgment on our nation," Chick-fil-A today posted the above Facebook message saying the "independent" franchises treat all customers with "honor, dignity and respect — regardless of their belief, race, creed, sexual orientation or gender."

(h/t Joe. My. God.)

Comments

1. When they say that going forward they intend to leave the debate to the government and political arena, does that mean they plan to stop donating money to the gay bashing groups?

They may claim to treat all customers with honor and respect. But, they still use the profits made from those customers to fund hate.

What good does it do to treat the customers with respect to their faces and then bash them by funding anti-gay rhetoric after the fact?

Posted by: Tim NC | Jul 19, 2012 2:17:11 PM

2. to me, fast food corporations with their anti-environmental practices and contribution to the obesity epidemic is far more offensive than some anti-marriage-equality statement. why anyone would eat this type of "food" in the first place is a mystery.

Posted by: EO | Jul 19, 2012 2:17:26 PM

3. I think the answer to your question is 99.99 percent of people who eat there have no clue what you're talking about and never will. It's like the people boycotting Starbucks. A piss in the ocean. Chick and Starbucks are still going to have massive lines at the airport or wherever because people like the product.

Posted by: MarkUs | Jul 19, 2012 2:19:38 PM

4. Nice try. How about an apology? Like that will ever happen.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 19, 2012 2:22:36 PM

5. "family" is just code for "anti-gay"

Posted by: Steve | Jul 19, 2012 2:27:17 PM

6. I got the recipe from here yesterday, so I'm good. See Ya Chick-Fil-No Gay!

Posted by: The Realist | Jul 19, 2012 2:28:28 PM

7. So basically they want to make sure we know that gay customers (and dollars) are always welcome in the stores, they just want to donate the profits to antigay causes... LOL riiiight...

Worst apology letter ever!

Posted by: Jason | Jul 19, 2012 2:29:21 PM

8. Bull! Charitable contributions means donating to anti gay groups, which they notoriousley do and will continue to do

Posted by: IonMusic | Jul 19, 2012 2:30:30 PM

9. NOM has worked with Chik Fil A at events in the past. Chik Fil A has donated to NOM in the past- they surely will in the future. Do not buy this. We need LGBT organizations to come out and declare they are the enemey, because they ARE our enemy

Posted by: Kyle Ohten | Jul 19, 2012 2:32:08 PM

10. I would like to know if they REALLY follow the biblical family structure thing, or just the parts they're comfortable with:

Posted by: denison | Jul 19, 2012 2:33:19 PM

11. "Think this message will win over those who have sworn off the company over Cathy's consistently anti-gay politics?"

Nope. Not one bit.

Posted by: Oz in OK | Jul 19, 2012 2:34:56 PM

12. This is a lie. I worked for this company as a manager for a little while. Every singlr district manager from every other store was proudly homophobic, and from higher ups to staff, homophobia is completely normal. They talk politics, mainly gay issues, refer to gays as queers and lesbians a d*kes. I was there long enough to observe plenty. I was not out (am a lesbian) and was fearful anyone would find out.
    I'll go as far as saying, part of why this company does exist is strictly to donate money against gays. Trust me, it's a huge pillar for them.

Posted by: FormerEmployee | Jul 19, 2012 2:35:58 PM

13. I wonder how long a gay employee would last working at one of their outlets?

Posted by: patrick | Jul 19, 2012 2:36:07 PM

14. Too late. Cathy's dug a hole that the company will never get out of.

Posted by: DiatribesAndOvations | Jul 19, 2012 2:36:48 PM

15. This changes nothing. I don't care if each of the stores are independent. The fact is if I eat there, I'll be supporting causes that aim to denigrate me as an individual, and condemn me as, at best, second class citizen, and at worst, sub human.

The brand is only add good as its people, and this brand is atrocious. So no, I will not "eat more chicken", as their ads arty, at least not with them.

Posted by: Colin | Jul 19, 2012 2:41:45 PM

16. This changes nothing. I don't care if each of the stores are independent. The fact is if I eat there, I'll be supporting causes that aim to denigrate me as an individual, and condemn me as, at best, second class citizen, and at worst, sub human.

Posted by: Colin | Jul 19, 2012 2:41:46 PM

17. When I worked at Disney, we got 1/2 off at the local Chick-Fil-A outside the gates. They always had the cutest late teen, early 20's manboy managers. They always seemed to have a gleem in their eye that said... I really would like to try it on your side of the fence, but I am so scared. Did anybody else ever get that vibe?

Posted by: gary | Jul 19, 2012 2:43:22 PM

18. @Patrick: That is probably why they released this statment. They could now be worried about an employee filing a discrimination case. When the owner/founder is openly/proudly sharing his views against a minority group publicly and you have employees of that minority group he is opening the company up to some potential lawsuits.

Posted by: REALLY | Jul 19, 2012 2:45:03 PM

19. I grew up on Chick-Fil-A in Atlanta and have, till recently, ignored their anti-gay activities because I feel every company has the right to donate their money where they see fit. However, President Cahty's recent comments go beyond that and I've eaten my last Chick-Fil-A sandwich because of it.

This Facebook "press release" is the company attempting to appease the individuals that own the stores. They're probably not too happy about community outrage over something they didn't do and have voiced that concern. I full-heartily believe Chick-Fil-A Corporate stands by their President's remarks.

Posted by: Chris | Jul 19, 2012 2:45:51 PM

20. Biblical Principals to managing business, I'm so sure that was they had in mind by applying the teachings of the bible to your life.

"devoting a percentage of our proceeds back to our communities" FYI Communities include gay people, so get over yourselves.

Posted by: TKSF | Jul 19, 2012 2:47:54 PM

21. Crappy food served in a crappy environment. I was turned off to them decades BEFORE I came out.

Posted by: 99% | Jul 19, 2012 2:52:37 PM

22. I once visited a store with my boyfriend, not at all knowing they were homophobic (gay community needs to do a better job of informing LGBT to boycott this place) and as soon as we walked in, the manager taking orders could tell we were gay. He was exceedingly polite to the people before us in line. When it came our turn, he didn't greet us or anything. Just stared and started shaking his head. We said "do you want to take our order?" an he said " what do you BOYS want?" emphasizing the boys part. When we sat down, we could see them snickering and looking our way while making impressions. We did call headquarters to complain, but knowing what we know now, I'm sure headquarters gave that store a bonus for their conduct.

We got gay dollars ladies and gentlemen; use it wisely!

Posted by: Hal | Jul 19, 2012 2:53:18 PM

23. This attempt at damage control may not be very satisfying to the LGBT community, but it at least shows that it's getting harder and harder to get away with anti-gay statements and/or policies, even for those with conservative political leanings. A welcome sign that the culture is becoming more inclusive.

An aside: I wonder how many educated conservatives are still able to use words like "queers" or "fags" (even among only straight people) without feeling uncomfortable. I was never one for words like this, but I can no longer even hear conservatives refer to "the homosexual agenda" without thinking "WTF? Wouldn't 'the homosexual agenda' be to exerience justice and equality?" The good news here? Times change, people change.

Posted by: Mary | Jul 19, 2012 2:53:49 PM

24. We will smile to your face then stab you in the back.

Posted by: qj201 | Jul 19, 2012 2:57:39 PM

25. Where are the LGBT organizations to forcefully take a stance against Chik Fil A with cut throat campaign? Ads? An maybe offer a gay friendly option. I don't see an organized effort by out conmunity to go after this company an it's very disapppointing. Is all our groups good for is throwing parties?

Posted by: TJ | Jul 19, 2012 2:59:46 PM