Fargo | Gay Marriage | News | North Dakota

BigGayDeal.com

Fargo, North Dakota Paper Rejects Gay Marriage Announcement

Form

The Fargo Forum, a North Dakota paper, is conducting a review of its policies regarding same-sex engagement and marriage announcements following outrage after Allison Johnson posted the rejection she received after submitting a notice about marrying her wife in New York.

The Minn Post reports:

The blowback, which includes subscription cancellation threats and an online petition that gained 1,300 names in under a day, prompted editor Matt Von Pinnon to announce a policy review via Facebook late Monday night, followed by a Tuesday story.

Allison Johnson, who plans to marry Kelsey Smith in Aug. 1, said the couple placed the ad on Saturday and received a Monday morning rejection from "Celebrations" editor Dianna Baumann...

...Johnson says coverage from competing Fargo media has been favorable — local station Y94 even placed the marriage announcement on their website. Ultimately, she says, "This is really just a matter of wanting to express love in way so many other people take for granted. It should be allowed and available, to anyone in love who wants to share their love."

Comments

1. I really don't understand these wedding announcement incidents. It happens a lot it seems. And most of them it's something like "The state doesn't recognize same-sex marriage, so we can't print it". At least officially.

That doesn't make ANY sense. These couples aren't asking for any benefits. They are essentially asking the newspaper to print an ad. And they pay for that service. Also, people need to get into their heads that there is a difference between a wedding and a marriage.

Posted by: Steve | Jul 25, 2012 11:44:48 AM

2. Apparently some celebrations are more celebrated than others/

Posted by: MikeW | Jul 25, 2012 12:24:32 PM

3. I lived in that $hit-hole of a city for WAY too long, so this doesn't surprise me in the least! The Forum is about as expressive as a used piece of toilet paper owned and operated by a "good old boy's club" of old-world conservatives. Again, this doesn't surprise me, but it still pisses me off and makes me sad. I don't believe the people in that region of the country will EVER come along into the 20th century, let alone the 21st.

Posted by: Fruit-for-Peace | Jul 25, 2012 1:17:41 PM

4. I assure you, my hometown paper would likewise decline to publish a gay wedding announcement. It won't even publish birth announcements of children whose parents are not married.

Hiding behind the law is silly. The law does not prevent them from printing non-civil ceremonies if they want. I think at least my hometown paper would have the balls to say they just think gay marriage is wrong. Grow a set, Fargo.

Posted by: DantheMan | Jul 25, 2012 1:21:07 PM

5. Do these papers think that if they don't print these announcements that gay couples just won't exist? Good luck with that.

Posted by: e.c. | Jul 25, 2012 1:28:49 PM

6. North Dakota has a higher population of COWS than of humans, and collectively the humans are not as intelligent as ONE of those cows! It is a backwards, ignorant population of humans in that state!

Posted by: Fruit-for-Peace | Jul 25, 2012 2:09:20 PM

7. White Homophobes!!! Who'da thunk!

Posted by: Chris Dachocolatebearcub | Jul 26, 2012 2:53:18 AM