Log Cabin Republicans: GOP Platform Is ‘Ugly And Harmful’

LogCabin

The Log Cabin Republicans believed their presence at this year's GOP national convention would help move their party toward equality. They, as many predicted, were wrong, because the Republican platform is just as discriminatory and hateful as ever.

"The platform affirms the rights of states and the federal government not
to recognize same-sex marriage," reads the party manifesto. "It backs a constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman."

Now that their dreams have been dashed, Log Cabin leaders are lashing out at the GOP for its completely unsurprising bigotry. "The platform is ugly and harmful," the group's director of programs, Casey Pick, told NPR.

Pick also says that social conservatives' tenacious commitment to discrimination was only bolstered by her and her colleagues' involvement. "We lost," Pick said. "And you could say the social conservatives in our party dropped the hammer harder because we were there."

Or you could say that LCR were on a quixotic mission to nowhere.

Comments

1. Mary says

I imagine that the LCR’s were not really expecting to turn the party pro-gay this year. But the fact that they exist and that they were listened to at all is something. Change of the type they want doesn’t happen in one or two election cycles. I don’t speak for LCR and haven’t met any of its leaders (or members – just joined over two months ago) but I imagine they’re aiming for long-term success, which doesn’t always manifest itself in small yet visible increments. JMHO.

2. Jack M says

Looks like the 20 watt lightbulb finally went on. Next they’ll be surprised and outraged that the rest of the gay community thinks they’re total idiots. Oh well, one small step at a time, I guess.

3. Tom says

“Quixotic mission to nowhere”? While it doesn’t seem like progress, I bet a lot of people though gay rights at all in the 1970s was a “quixotic mission to nowhere” that was mocked and derided.

You have to start somewhere.

4. Mona says

“And you could say the social conservatives in our party dropped the hammer harder because we were there.”

So, LCR, it seems that your presence does more harm than good… WAKE UP!

5. finkles2000 says

Why doesn’t a Log Cabin Republican run for President? Or at the very least, start a grassroots write-in campaign? That way, they don’t have to give their votes to a bigoted party candidate. It’ll be less votes for Romney, so it helps out us Democrats as well. It’s a win-win.

6. Reggie777 says

And they are surprised? Did they get the message that they are NOT wanted in the GOP? Sadly, I doubt it. They’ll sit there and look shocked the next time the repugs slap them again. And still, they’ll sit there… and still they’ll be surprised. It’s not as if they haven’t been warned this would happen. I say, it serves them right! damn grubs!

7. says

At least they’re being honest for once. (Usually they’re so busy perpetuating the myth that the Republican party is becoming more gay-friendly that they can’t see their own ridiculousness.) They failed. Just as they have for years now. And, if anything, their lobbying efforts made the anti-gay Republican party dig its heels deeper into homophobia. So, they’re actually having a negative effect, particularly since they often go right ahead and support the very candidates who hate them.

Gay groups who support anti-gay candidates over pro-gay ones get respect from no one.

8. Brian says

Andrew – did you even *read* this NPR article? Far from their dreams being “dashed,” the LCRs think they are winning. I completely understand wanting to show LCRs in a bad light, but you misrepresented this article and that does a disservice to your readers. This kind of journalism is worth of Fox – lacking in integrity. You can do better.

9. ernstroehm's ghost says

Conservative (i.e. Republican) gays are not crazy. In fact, their day is coming.

As gay rights are gradually accepted by the American mainstream, the Log Cabin Republicans will come into their own. Frankly, the Democratic Party seems to be the natural home of gays for a specific reason. Cultural outsiders always attach to the social left. Once gays cease to be outsiders, their natural affinity to the Democratic Party will quickly evaporate.

10. Chuck Mielke says

I think the LCR properly look to a long-term strategy. I think they also see that accommodating the Republican party is a partial strategy — go along to get along in the short term. Psychologically, they are correct: the fact that they were asked to participate in the creation of the platform is big: it gave conservative Republicans an opportunity to recognize both the humanity of gay people and the fact that they share common values and goals outside of marriage equality. We know that visibility and personal contact are our strongest weapons, and these have been deployed in the heart of conservative Republicanstan.

11. Stefan says

I don’t have a problem with a group like LCR existing to represent the point that the underlying core of conservatism *should* promote gay equality. It’s a necessary counterpoint to the Evangelical hijacking of the party. But when LCR actively supports voting for anti-gay candidates, then they become a joke. They need to pressure the GOP at every turn and make it very uncomfortable and very politically untenable for that party to be anti-gay. If they want long term change, they will need to be as aggressive in their pro-equality message as people like Tony Perkins are in their rabble-rousing. Take a page from the candidacies of Ron Paul, Ross Perot, and others. Field a strong gay-positive candidate. DO SOMETHING VISIBLE. Unfortunately I tried joining LCR and similar groups in college, and even for someone into the idea of “change from within” I found them mind-numbingly frustrating.

12. says

You’re right @BRIAN: the NPR piece shows that the LCR’s are as delusional as ever, seeing their beloved party (an unrequited love, alas) through the same rose-colored glasses that have prevented them from having any influence among their homophobic political pals year after year. No wonder the Republican party sees them as fools.

@ERNSTROEHM’S GHOST: Unfortunately, there is no evidence their day is coming in the mainstream Republican party. It is more anti-gay than ever. Anyone holding their breath for acceptance among Republicans will quickly turn blue. The Democratic party is a natural home to gay people because all pro-gay legislation has been the result of a Democratic majority.

13. Fenrox says

You know, you can change the party. LCR are not the only ones fed up with the lowest common denominator ruling the GOP. The GOP could be a viable party and a lot of republicans know that. If the LCR is serious (they aren’t) they should start to find the other GOP groups that want a return to sanity and start a movement to change the party.

14. gr8guyca says

It’s like a gay guy making a pass at a guy who is 100% straight.
    There is the remote chance that something might happen, but
    much more likely that you will just be ignored. And you run the
    risk of getting punched in the nose.

ChrisQ has it right: They’re just not that into you.

15. say what says

water is wet

Good for LCR people to finally reralize the truth

the only question is what will they do wth the truth…..vote against the repub party and they can contribute to fixing it for only by loosing badly will the repub party ever change

16. Dastius Krazitauc says

“Change of the type they want doesn’t happen in one or two election cycles. I don’t speak for LCR and haven’t met any of its leaders (or members – just joined over two months ago) but I imagine they’re aiming for long-term success, which doesn’t always manifest itself in small yet visible increments”

Mary, if being beaten down and not seeing results for your efforts is acceptable to you, then why don’t you and the LCRs join the Democratic Party and try to change it to something you approve of? You could fight your quixotic fight with people who don’t consider you second class citizens.

17. The Realist says

“Change of the type they want doesn’t happen in one or two election cycles.Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Aug 30, 2012 11:05:01 AM

How long do you think they have been around?

18. JT says

That can’t honestly be the LCR’s actual logo? I mean, two elephants having anal sex…I feel like that organization is set up just as an elaborate way to troll us.

19. Dastius Krazitauc says

“How long do you think they have been around?”

They have been *fighting for gay rights* from within the Republican Party since 1977. The gay rights movement started just eight years before that, and look where the progress has been made, in the Democratic Party.

20. The Realist says

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Aug 30, 2012 11:27:41 AM

My point exactly. It has been more than 2 election cycles and they seen to only go backwards. Ineffective is what LCR is. “Fighting for gay rights” my ass.

21. says

Log Cabin Republicans are Rihanna, and the GOP is Chris Brown.

No matter how bad the GOP hurts the Log Cabin Republicans, they just keep coming back for more abuse.

Log Cabin Republicans need to pull a Tina Turner before they end up like Nicole Simpson.

22. Brian says

I am a committed Democrat, but I firmly believe that we need some support in BOTH political parties before the gay tidal wave breaks the seawall. Thinking Republicans (there are still a few) know they have to find a way around their party’s homophobia. I have told Republican friends that I would give their party’s views on limited government, low taxes, and fiscal responsibility a hearing. But I also told them I would not give the GOP the time of day as long as they want to make me into a 3rd Class citizen. They were absolutely stunned at my remarks. I am somewhat hopeful that things will begin to change. Sen. Orin Hatch of Utah recently softened his homophobia. Republicans in New England have done the same. I remember the blatant homophobia of the 1988 GOP convention with Pat Buchanan’s notorious speech, and in 2012 this homophobia is kept bottled up in the party platform, which nobody reads much. Still considering everything, we still have a long way to go before meaningful change occurs in the Republican Party. I am 68 so I think I may have a 50-50 chance of seeing real change within my lifetime.

23. Dastius Krazitauc says

“but I firmly believe that we need some support in BOTH political parties before the gay tidal wave breaks the seawall.”

Oh, that’s most definitely true, Brian. But I think Republican support will come more from general societal change than from any *work* done from within by the LCR. As long as LCR is there saying, “Oh, okay, we’ll still endorse Republicans regardless of what they say about us, or how they vote against us”, what motivation does the Republican Party have to change? There is no power in acquiescence.

24. jamal49 says

Uh, Cabinettes? Girlfriends? You’re just realizing this about the RNC platform? Whew, chicas! I’d say lay off the White Party drugs for a while, stop bending over for your republicon tops and try and stand back from this co-dependent relationship you have with the republicons.

Maybe then you’ll see that the republicon party offers you NOTHING! Stop thinking about all that dirty money you’ve made from your Wall Street investments or your poppa-daddy’s trust fund or that in your ideal republicon party there won’t be any of those icky drag queens and coloured people and get with the LGBT program.

The republicon party will never EVER accept you for who you are. You’re just gonna keep getting abused, whipped, beaten, demeaned, humiliated and screwed time and again by the republicons.

But then, maybe that’s what it’s all about. You Cabinettes are so self-loathing, so self-hating that you WANT this abuse.

Sad.

25. says

I can understand some wealthy gays having a conservative economic stance, but the current Republican party has strayed from its identity as a legitimate conservative force. It is now a party of Machiavellian/Neo-fascist ideologues. LCR should read the writing on the wall and high-tail it out of there. If this slap on the face doesn’t wake them up, what will?

26. Icebloo says

Yet despite this they will still vote Republican. They are just attention seeking, immature morons. They are just trying to be different to get attention. We need to ignore them and stop giving them free publicity. It’s because of self haters like this that we still don’t have equal rights in the US. They stab us in the back every chance they get.

27. Diogenes Arktos says

Attention LCR and GOProud:
    There’s a lot of Republicans who believe that social issues can NOT be divorced from economic issues. That’s how the Republican party has evolved over the past few decades. Right now, they’re just trying to keep that a secret. If you still choose to vote Republican just consider what that means to the country as a whole.

28. noteasilyoffended says

No love lost for the LCR’s. What the “F” did they think was going to happen? You can’t deal with the Republican party. They are a bunch of old, wealthy men who want nothing more than to have things return to 1950 when women knew their place, blacks knew their place and fags were shot or just disappeared. Every woman (and a few fags) thinks they have a place in this party. They are either living in a dream or just plain stupid. This party is run by a few and for their exclusive use. Everyone else is just filler. LCR’s are delusional. Their gullibility is annoying.

29. andrew says

I would no more be a Log Cabin Republican than I would be a Dignity Catholic. I don’t want to belong to a group that doesn’t want me. However calling all republicans “pieces of s*it” or “American Taliban” is McCarthyism. There are many conservative republicans who are loyal patriotic Americans who just have a very different view of America than I do. They are not my ENEMY they are my political opponent. Still Americans just like me. That doesn’t mean that I don’t want to kick there a$$ in November.

30. Mark says

As long as the GOP is in bed with the religious right – LCR would do a whole lot more good at least cheering for the other side. I can only hope – they finally ‘got it’.