Music | Music Video | News | One Direction

BigGayDeal.com

The Boys of 'One Direction' Want to Live While They're Young: VIDEO

Onedirection

Boy band of the moment One Direction holds on to summer for one last gasp in their new video "Live While We're Young" which MTV sees as fitting into a long tradition:

See, the history of boy bands is filled with clips like this, where we find the handsome guys messing around to maximum effect. The Beatles and the Monkees made videos like this (back then, said hijinks were usually played at twice the normal speed, for hilarity's sake), and so did the New Kids on the Block, 'NSYNC and the Backstreet Boys. It is practically a time-honored tradition, in a genre where time is almost certainly the enemy. And I'd like to think that the guys in One Direction are smart enough to realize this, which is why they seem to be playing up the sheer ridiculousness of the concept. When they are singing into giant inflatable microphones or splashing around in a pond, they're doing it knowingly, and it's all they can do to hide the wry smiles from their perfectly boned faces. You've got to admire them for that.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Love these 'gay' guys. <3 <3 <3 JK LOL ;)

Posted by: Pommie | Sep 20, 2012 7:23:48 PM

2. My 12 year old niece absolutely adores them.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Sep 20, 2012 7:38:43 PM

3. I don't "get" stories like this...I am not a tween girl, and didn't like this sort of fluff when I was a teen. Why is this somehow gay news filler?

Posted by: Eivar | Sep 20, 2012 8:54:13 PM

4. @Eivar I know lots of gay men whose inner 'tweens live pretty close to the surface. :)

Posted by: sparks | Sep 20, 2012 8:58:52 PM

5. In 20 years, there will be a One Direction reunion.

Posted by: Pescopo | Sep 20, 2012 9:07:44 PM

6. What a statement. Why don't MTV and Rolling Stone just say: "Jeez, if we don't cover these boy bands of the moment, we'll go bankrupt? Our numbers are bad enough."

Posted by: MarkUs | Sep 20, 2012 9:30:02 PM

7. Who knew Bel Ami models could sing?

Posted by: CQ | Sep 20, 2012 10:42:32 PM

8. Did some gay couple adopt these kids or something. Who are they?

Posted by: JJ | Sep 20, 2012 11:32:48 PM

9. I don't get the appeal of their music at all. I can see gay men drooling over these barely legal twinks attempting to cling onto some desperate attempt at youth again, but that's it.

Posted by: Sam | Sep 20, 2012 11:38:23 PM

10. Why?

Posted by: brion | Sep 21, 2012 12:12:45 AM

11. Love these cute boys. I'm 21 so I don't feel that weird.

Posted by: Gonzo | Sep 21, 2012 12:36:37 AM

12. @Gonzo:
    Dude, am just 19 but this's just stupid!

Posted by: xin | Sep 21, 2012 1:54:18 AM

13. The boys are cut BUT have you noticed that since the last "I"m not gay polemic interview" They are saying the word girl at least 200 times?

Posted by: lukebrux | Sep 21, 2012 1:57:23 AM

14. Okay, lets not be to critical. The central message here is not just live while you are young but also to follow your instincts. Who can argue with this simple basic suggestion to follow ones natural inclinations. Am I just reading this into this video?

Posted by: Don | Sep 21, 2012 4:24:28 AM

15. There's something sad about this story. It's about transience: the rosebud blooms briefly and then it dies. :(

Eventually, we get to the point where we look at the rosebud and envision the drooping blossom all ready for the garbage can. Downer.

Posted by: ernstroehm's ghost | Sep 21, 2012 8:43:32 AM

16. Yes, because it's all downhill once you're no longer 'young' and pretty. Might as well just kill yourselves.

*sarcasm off*

I'm actually happy my 'pretty' young looks are fading [I'm 35]. I was a very boyish and 'pretty' thin teenager and young adult, and was annoyed no end by people who misjudged me because of my looks. Thankfully I'm more muscular and my looks have matured. I'm pleased.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 21, 2012 9:18:35 AM

17. Yes, because it's all downhill once you're no longer 'young' and pretty. Might as well just kill yourselves.

*sarcasm off*

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 21, 2012 9:18:41 AM

18. I know I'm old (which is not a bad thing) because all I think looking at this is how badly they all need proper haircuts. And aren't boybands supposed to have one or two "bad boy" members who look old enough to actually know what to DO with a girl if they got one? I know they're older but they all look 14 to me.

Posted by: Buster | Sep 21, 2012 2:10:57 PM

19. I'm 43 and think they're adorable. Not in a sexy way (I like my men older and hairier) but in a fun, I-remember-being-14-and-having-a-popstar-crush way. My nieces LOVE them too. Pop music has always had a place for this kind of band and why not? At least my niece isn't crushing on Chris Brown.

Posted by: aron | Sep 21, 2012 3:08:54 PM