Comments

1. bambinoitaliano says

So these men are piggy backing on those real gay men who tirelessly fought for decades. But now they are too old and absless to be seen on television?

2. just_a_guy says

No, bambino: the judges and others you reference just lend credibility to the contest; why trash them like that?

This looks like a fun contest to me. I know a lotta y’all will squack against it, but I see it as HUGE PROGRESS actually:

How many times before have we seen a fun affirming show that prizes young gay men’s character to a remarkable degree—and doesn’t send the message that mere attractiveness is all that matters?

This is the first one that I remember. Bravo.

3. Brad says

Really? That has to be the worst idea ever, if not an outright joke. The only thing that would redeem it would be a cast of ivy leaguers, financial wunderkinds, and a neuro-scientist or two. Tired.

4. just_a_guy says

I disagree with y’all. It’s ok to have a run of the mill show that is playful like this.

Maybe your insecurities make you uncomfortable with it? (I’m half kidding; I’m not claiming this is great TV…just as-worthwhile “reality” TV at least, maybe more.) Am I hearing commenters hooked on gay exceptionalism who are uncomfortable looking at normal gay guys in a playful reality show??

Sure beats “A-list gays that aren’t” or “real house-husbands who are catty” whatever that silliness was. Am I wrong on at least this last point? :)

5. just_a_guy says

6. Stefan says

Ask yourself this: if in the 1960s or even more recently we had a Miss America pageant for only Black women, would that count as “progress” or “assimilation”? No. The only time we support “separate but equal” in this country is by biological sex and sometimes by age with regard to living environment. I can’t figure out why so many gay men are okay with being defined primarily by their sexual orientation, and a stereotypical vision of what the lived experience of that orientation is.

7. Luke says

Whatever.. Another lame reality show. The fact that it is a gay reality show doesn’t make it any better. Just a bunch more fame-whoring people wanting their 15 minutes.