Carrie Underwood | Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

Carrie Underwood Speaks Out Again for Gay Marriage, as a Christian: 'I'm in Favor of Acceptance'

Underwood

Carrie Underwood covers this month's Allure magazine. They asked her about statements she made back in June which caused a conservative uproar:

In June, Underwood came out in favor of gay marriage. "As a married person myself, I don't know what it's like to be told I can't marry somebody I love," she told a British newspaper.

She elaborates: "I'm in favor of acceptance," she says flatly. "And I am a Christian person, and I do love the Lord, and I feel no matter who you are, what you believe, how you live your life, it's not my place to judge. I don't have that power. I don't want that power. It's my place to love and to show God's love to other people, even if they don't live a life like I live. So that's where I'm coming from."

Underwood was hammered by conservative fans for her remarks, and was blasted by World Net Daily's founder Joseph Farah, who said:

"God did warn us not to profane His holy name. I don’t think that just means misusing His name as a curse word. I think we do that when we represent ourselves as followers of God but betray His Word. That’s blasphemy – and there’s just too much of it coming from people claiming to be Christians."

Comments

1. She's also in favor of free publicity, god bless her blond hair <3 !

Posted by: MArk | Jan 15, 2013 6:20:13 PM

2. Honestly, I think Carrie Underwood is the best. She's from a side of the music industry that is considered to be conservative - ie country music - and yet she does not hesitate to declare her support for gay rights. As such, I think her stance is more powerful than the Lady Gaga's of this world.

The other side of the music industry - the more liberal pop side - is full of female pop singers who claim to support gay rights. On closer examination, their stances seem to be driven more by the quest for the gay dollar than a genuine stance in support of gay rights.

If the pop music industry were genuinely liberal, you would have openly gay and bisexual male acts hitting the top of the music charts. They aren't hitting the top of the charts because the pop music industry is actually very homophobic towards the concept of male homosexuality - all the way from the label bosses to the radio stations.

Posted by: stephen lucas | Jan 15, 2013 6:24:12 PM

3. Didn't Jesus say "love your neighbor as yourself"? And something or other about "judge not lest ye be judged"? I guess Joseph Farah thinks ol' JC was a blasphemer too

Posted by: Jmac | Jan 15, 2013 6:27:38 PM

4. well met, lass!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 15, 2013 6:28:18 PM

5. STEPHEN LUCAS = JASON

That is the same "the pop music industry is homophobic" rant he was peddling months ago.

Posted by: DAN | Jan 15, 2013 6:47:27 PM

6. Good catch, Dan! I guess someone's new year's resolution was to get a new name on Towleroad. LOL

Posted by: RyanInWyo | Jan 15, 2013 7:06:56 PM

7. This was the same thing he was going on about before. He fancies himself an expert in the music industry. Buying some songs on itunes doesn't make you an expert.

Posted by: BETTY | Jan 15, 2013 7:17:42 PM

8. @mark....the reason why you don't see gays excelling to the top of the charts in the "liberal" pop scene isn't because the industry or the artists are just clamoring for the gay dollar, but because the audience realizes, gay or straight, good tunes is good tunes, and crap tunes are crap tunes. By the way, ever hear of George Michael, Right Said Fred, Boy George? Not that they are the top of the pop charts now but they used to be. so much for your thought that pop music isn't gay friendly.

Posted by: chris | Jan 15, 2013 7:22:43 PM

9. Amen, Mr. Farah:" I think we do that when we represent ourselves as followers of God but betray His Word. That’s blasphemy – and there’s just too much of it coming from people claiming to be Christians." We'll hold you to those words.

Posted by: David | Jan 15, 2013 7:35:11 PM

10. "A false witness will perish, and whoever listens to him will be destroyed forever."

Posted by: David | Jan 15, 2013 7:46:14 PM

11. Good content, I trust this is a good weblog about Wish to see refreshing content material next time. Thanks for sharing this publish with us. Keep it up.

Posted by: voyante | Jan 16, 2013 3:49:20 AM

12. People claiming to be "Christians", but posting hateful messages are starting to look VERY non Christian.

Posted by: Bob | Jan 16, 2013 5:31:02 AM

13. chris: Music industry is not homophobic, but a good bunch of radio stations owners are.
    For a openly gay singer is quite difficult to get his songs on the radio, and in the USA radio is very important, without radio listenings generally (there are a good bunch of exceptions) there's no sales.

In other countries is not rare to find gay singers on the charts, in the US pop charts, only three songs sang by an openly gay singer made the top 40 in the last years (Hollywood is not america by Ferras, Whataya want from me and If i had you by Adam Lambert). I don't think that's casual. In fact Fran Ocean is getting a lot more luck in Urban charts (everybody think that pop it is more accepting) than any pop singer (we'll see if Thinking bout you is able to crossover to pop).

And about Carrie, i love her. I like her voice, she is a genuine nice girl, and fortunately is one of every day more common country singers who are pro gay rights

Posted by: jjose712 | Jan 16, 2013 7:17:40 AM

14. I don't know that she's pro gay rights as much as she's pro minding your own business. She sort of implies she doesn't necessarily disagree that it is a sinful lifestyle. Don't get me wrong, I love her music and respect that she can have her views, but understand they shouldn't necessarily translate to policy.

And regardless of this is pop homophobic conversation, it is probably safe to say that most country music lovers are not avid supporters of gay marriage. She is brave for potentially putting herself against them on an issue like this. Especially after seeing what happened to the Dixie Chicks.

Also, her husband is smoking.

Posted by: FancyPants | Jan 16, 2013 1:27:26 PM