GLAAD | News

BigGayDeal.com

GLAAD Announces Media Award Nominees, Including Towleroad

Nominees for the 24th Annual GLAAD Media Awards were announced this morning. 120 nominees in 25 English-language categories, and 33 Spanish-language nominees in 8 categories have been named.

GlaadView the full list of nominees here.

We are surprised and honored here at Towleroad to be nominated for 'Outstanding Blog', an award we shared with the blog Mombian last year. Other nominees for 'Outstanding Blog' include Autostraddle, blac(k)ademic, Rod 2.0, and The New Civil Rights Movement.

Congrats to all our fellow nominees!

Nominated for Outstanding Digital Journalism are "'Don't Ask, Don't Tell': Transgender Officers on Secretly Serving in the U.S. Military" by Marc Lamont Hill, Live.HuffingtonPost.com; "Athletes at Core of 'Fearless' Photo Project" by Patrick Dorsey and Jeff Sheng, ESPN.com; "Edie Takes on DOMA" In the Life, ITLMedia.org; "Gay Rights in the US, State by State", GuardianNews.com; "The Advocate 45" (series) Advocate.com.

The GLAAD Media Awards ceremonies will be held in New York on March 16, 2013 at the New York Marriott Marquis; in Los Angeles on April 20 at the JW Marriott; and in San Francisco on May 11 at the Hilton San Francisco - Union Square, according to GLAAD.

They add, "The GLAAD Media Awards recognize and honor media for their fair, accurate and inclusive representations of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community and the issues that affect their lives.  The GLAAD Media Awards also fund GLAAD's work to amplify stories from the LGBT community and issues that build support for equality."

Comments

1. Congratulations Andy and Cohorts! Bravo!

Posted by: Autarchic | Jan 16, 2013 9:33:21 AM

2. Congratulations! This is a very good blog you make.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jan 16, 2013 10:16:46 AM

3. Congrats on the nomination. It still irritates me that GLAAD splits their awards show into three different events. I know it is a fundraiser but sometimes that seems to be all they do.

Posted by: KT | Jan 16, 2013 10:24:55 AM

4. A well-deserved nomination for Towleroad. Congrats!

Posted by: Hank Plante | Jan 16, 2013 11:32:34 AM

5. Congrats Towleroad and Congrats Frank Ocean for Channel Orange my fav album from 2012

Posted by: Kim | Jan 16, 2013 12:06:40 PM

6. Congrats Andy!!!

Posted by: Greg | Jan 16, 2013 12:42:15 PM

7. Frank Bruni's piece last year in the New York Times was so good. I really hope he wins.

Posted by: Kurt | Jan 16, 2013 12:49:10 PM

8. This is not a criticism, but I do find it telling how the tiniest scrap of inclusion means so much to us. Paranorman, for example had one word, about 10 minutes before the end of the movie, that made it "inclusive." If you sneezed, you missed it and had no idea that the characters' sexualities were anything but all hetero.
    The rough equivalent would be for a movie than features Christian rituals and churches and characters saying Christian prayers to be given a Jewish inclusion award because one character's menorah is seen in a window for teo seconds.
    But that is where we are, so I do celebrate any inclusion. And I did see Paranorman (and brought with me a group of gay and straight friends) largely because of it.

On a side note, one notable absence from the award categories: the most impactful inclusive advertising.

Posted by: GregV | Jan 16, 2013 1:53:06 PM

9. Congratulations, Andy and everyone at Towleroad. It is the first thing I read when I get off work in the morning and the last thing I read before I go to bed in the afternoon. It is my favorite site, hands down. Great features, great science geek stuff, always interesting commentary (at times, contentious; usually just a joy to read). I hope Towleroad is a winner (and, I hope the occasionally glaring typos are overlooked).

Towleroad, thanks for doing a great job each and every day!

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 17, 2013 1:03:24 AM

10. Nice to be here and see your post !

Posted by: charmingdate.com review | Jan 17, 2013 2:51:46 AM