Gay Marriage | Lloyd Blankfein | News

Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein Discusses Support for Marriage Equality: VIDEO

Blankfein

Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein spoke with CBS News about taking a stand for marriage equality and that while he personally believes in it, the reason he took a stand for it publicly was for his company:

"The only reason why most people are interested in what I have to say is because of what I represent at Goldman Sachs, and therefore I only use my platform for Goldman Sachs issues. This issue is a business issue. It’s a civil rights issue, but it’s also a business issue."

Added Blankfein:

"The ability for employment benefits to be shared among spouses, the ability to move people who are dependent on visas for trailing spouses, all hinges on being able to deal with families of gay people in the same way that you deal with families of straight people. Otherwise, they can't move around. People are not happy, and we can't attract a whole set of very talented people...Even if it's comfortable here, it might not be comfortable, you know, a hundred yards from this place, and, for all I know, there are still people, today, who are living lives burdened by not being able to reveal who they really are and are living in a state of discomfort. That is really unfortunate, and I feel sorry. I don't know who they are, but there has to be someone. I feel sorry for them, and I am not yet saying that we are in a world where everything is easy for everybody."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. "...for all I know, there are still people, today, who are living lives burdened by not being able to reveal who they really are..."

I appreciate the sentiment, but saying "for all I know" as if it's some abstract thing that may or may not be happening is kind of weird.

Nonethless, he's doing the right thing so I'll give a pass.

Posted by: Cal | Mar 11, 2013 3:04:01 PM

2. yeah,

"for all I know" the money just *disappeared*

Posted by: Jose Soto | Mar 11, 2013 3:28:32 PM

3. No Mr. Blankfein, you most certainly are not doing 'God's Work'.

Beard looks good though.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 11, 2013 4:00:02 PM

4. I'm inclined to think "with friends like these...".

pjd

Posted by: pjd | Mar 11, 2013 4:16:39 PM

5. wow people just take the support we need people like this man because guess what money talks in this country and it rather that money and those who own it on our side

Posted by: lee | Mar 11, 2013 4:23:54 PM

6. What LEE said.

Posted by: Apparatus | Mar 11, 2013 4:56:38 PM

7. I'll take it. He may not be the world's finest human being, but he's influential, and if he can do some good, we should be glad.

Posted by: Jake Orlando | Mar 11, 2013 5:35:08 PM

8. GS may be corrupt as a bank, but they definitely don't discriminate against minorities. This probably goes back to their founding as a refuge for Jewish MBA's that couldn't otherwise get a job on Wall St.

Posted by: anon | Mar 11, 2013 5:36:00 PM

9. no, no free passes.

Posted by: oc | Mar 11, 2013 7:18:39 PM

10. @ Lee:

You know these queens are NEVER satisfied with anything in their pathetic miserable and most likely,lonely lives. OC and Ratbastard (what an appropriate name) are living proof of that.

Posted by: Audi-owner | Mar 11, 2013 10:27:18 PM

11. @audi-owner,

1) Actually, you're right as far as Blankfein is concerned. It's good he's supporting gays and should be thanked for it. I actually do appreciate him for doing it.

2) I am a nice guy in person, am not lonely and live a full-filling life. I just randomly picked the name 'ratbastard'.

3) Why 'Audi-Owner'? It sounds phuking pretentious. Just saying.

4) Mr. Blankfein and Goldman Sachs are not doing 'God's Work'.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 11, 2013 10:34:56 PM

12. So the guy is not a TOTAL sociopath. I am duly impressed.

Posted by: EdA | Mar 12, 2013 1:28:11 AM

13. This man only sees the money he can make in any situation. Not interested in where he stands on the issue of full gay equality. Think of all the suffering he has caused. Influential or not the man is awfulness.

Posted by: Ursula | Mar 12, 2013 10:32:22 AM