Boy Scouts | Jonathan Capehart | Lawrence O'Donnell | News | Zach Wahls

Lawrence O'Donnell Talks to Eagle Scout Zach Wahls About the Boys Scouts Half-lift of Gay Ban: VIDEO

Wayne_perry

On The Last Word, Lawrence O'Donnell spoke with Eagle Scout Zach Wahls of Scouts for Equality, and MSNBC commentator Jonathan Capehart last night after the BSA held a press conference announcing their decision.

Clips from the press conference, and discussion, AFTER THE JUMP...

Odonnell

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. I really hope that Zach Wahls runs for office one day.

Posted by: Strepsi | May 24, 2013 9:12:41 AM

2. The BSA is a classic case of putting lipstick on a pig. The immature jerky teenage boys and the arrested development leaders get to parade around and tell everyone how wonderful they are.

Posted by: anon | May 24, 2013 11:17:28 AM

3. What the hell is wrong with you people?

Zach Walls is NOT openly gay. He's a guy with two mothers and has never answered a question about his own sexuality.

Christ! You're supposed to be a reliable source and this is a massive fail.

Posted by: Larry McD | May 24, 2013 11:19:36 PM

4. Jonathan Capehart is openly gay, but Zach isn't as far as I know.

As Strepsi said, Zach should run for office !

Posted by: Kevin LS | May 25, 2013 5:20:58 AM

5. @Larry McD:
    Who said Zach Wahls (not "Walls") was gay?

Posted by: Dan B | May 25, 2013 5:44:00 AM

6. @Larry McD:
    Never mind, I just noticed it on "talking points."

Posted by: Dan B | May 25, 2013 5:47:09 AM

7. @ Dan B
    The link from the news section on Towleroad did.

Posted by: Peter Hargmier | May 25, 2013 5:50:20 AM

8. Quoting Zach (from Wikipedia): "To be clear, I don't consider myself an ally. I might be [a] straight cisgender man, but in my mind, I am a member of the LGBT community. I know the last thing that anyone wants is to add another letter to the acronym, but we need to make sure as a movement we're making a place for what we call "queer-spawn" to function and to be part of the community. Because even though I'm not gay, I do know what its like to be hated for who I am. And I do know what its like to be in the closet, and like every other member of the LGBT community, I did not have a choice in this. I was born into this movement."

Posted by: Brendan | May 25, 2013 6:21:16 AM

9. There's something I don't like about this Lawrence O'Donnell piece and the coverage in general. It isn't and NEVER WAS about openly gay boys JOINING the Boy Scouts! If they want to join, fine, but they/we were ALWAYS there! It's about NOT kicking gay kids OUT of the organization, not "letting us in!"

That distinction really does matter when you're talking about the issue. Just a few months ago there was a widely reported story about a young man who was denied his Eagle Scout pin just because he's gay. He didn't want to JOIN the Scouts, he WAS a Scout and had been since elementary school! He just wanted to be treated fairly, not be denied that award just because he's gay. There is a world of difference there. Yes there are some real problems with this policy change, but the real issue has ALWAYS been that Scouts who, as they grow up find out that they are gay, be allowed to remain Boy Scouts. They didn't change, only their awareness of themselves did.

Look, I was a member of the Boy Scouts when I was younger. I didn't stick with it because I felt I was way too "hip" for that, that the BSA was regressive and too "Norman Rockwell" for me. But that's me. IF a Scout member discovers that he's gay and WANTS to stay with the organization he should be able to. That's all this was ever about.

Posted by: Caliban | May 25, 2013 1:47:12 PM

10. fix your tagline; Zach Wahls has two gay moms

Posted by: Mike B. | May 25, 2013 2:16:19 PM

11. I agree enthusiastically with other comments. I'd really like to see bright, charismatic young leaders like Zach Wahls, Hudson Taylor, and others in Congress, legislatures, etc some day soon.

Posted by: Clay | May 25, 2013 3:35:29 PM