Cyndi Lauper | News | Theatre | Tony Awards

BigGayDeal.com

Here are All the Musical Numbers from the 2013 Tony Awards: VIDEO

Pippin

Last night we posted Neil Patrick Harris's showstopping opening number from the Tonys. Check it out here.

The show did go on, and the Oscars could learn a few things from how to entertain. Check out every performance from last night's show including Matilda, Kinky Boots, Pippin, Cinderella, Annie, Motown: The Musical, Bring It On, and Cyndi Lauper, AFTER THE JUMP...

And check out the complete winners' list HERE.

Television Sucks with NPH, Andrew Rannells, Megan Hilty, and Laura Benanti.

Kinky Boots

Pippin

Matilda

Bring It On: The Musical

Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella:

Cyndi Lauper's 'In Memoriam' performance of "True Colors":

Neil Patrick Harris makes out with Sandy from Annie, introducing A Christmas Story:

Motown: The Musical

Jane Lynch and Annie:

Little Rascals 'Good Lovin':

Phantom of the Opera:

Closing Number:

Comments

1. One comment: is it now obligatory that a Broadway musical be written to a semi-rock beat that sounds like it was put into a musak blender? The music kind of all sounds the same to me… am I wrong?

Although Broadway productions have become almost completely homogenized (except for shows like "The Book of Mormon"), the standout talent makes up for the even the dreariest of concepts, stories, choreography. Having become a Megan Hilty fan (has she ever been on Broadway herself), I was thrilled to see her do the great TV show number, and who was the other woman in electric blue? Wow, what a voice. Can somebody tell me who she is? Also, even though I don't particularly like the music of Pippin or the choreography of Bob Fosse, Patina Miller is an absolute standout, knockout, whatever. She obviously deserved every bit of her win. Also this production looks like it would be totally worth seeing. I can't get to these shows personally, so my comments are based on what I can pick up on Youtube, etc. Lucky youse in the States who can catch all of these.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Jun 10, 2013 12:17:19 PM

2. That's Laura Benanti. She won for "Gypsy" and last starred as the Bunny Mother in NBC's "The Playboy Club."

Posted by: John Ptacek | Jun 10, 2013 12:56:45 PM

3. Megan Hilty was a replacement for Glinda (originated by Kristin Chenowith) in Wicked. and she recently starred in Encores production of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes playing Lorelei Lee, a role played by Marilyn Monroe in the 50s film of the musical.

Posted by: josher | Jun 10, 2013 2:03:11 PM

4. Can I just say I loved how NPH set his mic gently on the floor, and Audra held it out and dropped it like a rock star.

Posted by: Willi | Jun 10, 2013 3:39:24 PM

5. NPH is a fantastic talent- he was clearly born to be a performer

Posted by: jaragon | Jun 10, 2013 5:47:15 PM

6. Ever since I saw Orion Griffiths' strip video up in here I have become a fan of his body...of work. My eyes gravitated toward him during the "Pippin" number. CBS rocked it out with the lot of his shots, too. Good Eye!

Posted by: Martin Haro | Jun 10, 2013 10:20:47 PM

7. I think this is a completely unfair characterization of what is currently on Broadway. Maybe because the opening, closing and "Bring It On" were all written by Lin Manuel Miranda, you think it all sounds alike. But certainly, "Kinky Boots", "Matilda", "A Christmas Story", "Cinderella", "Pippin" (not to mention "Once", "Newsies", "Wicked", "Spring Awakening", "Grey Gardens" et al) sound absolutely nothing alike. Broadway musicals have expanded to include more pop and rock oriented scores, but they are just a small part of what Broadway has to offer.

Posted by: BobbyBaby | Jun 11, 2013 1:40:02 AM

8. I think this is a completely unfair characterization of what is currently on Broadway. Maybe because the opening, closing and "Bring It On" were all written by Lin Manuel Miranda, you think it all sounds alike. But certainly, "Kinky Boots", "Matilda", "A Christmas Story", "Cinderella", "Pippin" (not to mention "Once", "Newsies", "Wicked", "Spring Awakening", "Grey Gardens" et al) sound absolutely nothing alike. Broadway musicals have expanded to include more pop and rock oriented scores, but they are just a small part of what Broadway has to offer.

Posted by: BobbyBaby | Jun 11, 2013 1:40:03 AM

9. Megan Hilty also starred in the Broadway musical adaptation of "9 to 5" (in the Dolly Parton role, natch)before "Smash". Laura Benanti is one of the current Broadway leading ladies, with many starring roles to her credit. She is one, like Megan and Audra McDonald, who has a glorious legit soprano voice as well as a great belt voice. They are all three divine!

Posted by: BobbyBaby | Jun 11, 2013 1:46:15 AM